Troop2011

Flippin GO TROOPERS!

No, I think "flippin" is happening only in Cavies show this year. :tongue:

(but thank you, sincerely, for the cheering - GO TROOOP!)

2 rehearsal days before Madison. I'm thinking there will be new things to see. :ph34r:

So, I saw the Troopers the other night and was generally impressed with the maturity of their sound. Of course they received one of the best reactions at the end of their show which has been documented elsewhere, but...

I realize their theme is "The Road Home", but is that only because they have a big road on the field? I was left feeling bitter about that big strip of tarpaulin on the field. I was sitting on approximately the 40 yard line on the right side of the field and the majority of the show was down on the other side of the field because their road served more as a wall. It was as if they weren't allowed to cross it. This made their drill feel very condensed and lacking movement. Almost as if they didn't have the space to do vertical movement.

Also, the first half of the show seemed to just kind of meander along (AHA! Maybe that was the purpose in order to carry the theme). I really thought they needed more impact points.

As for the last chord. Please lose the goo...or at least reduce the goo. It's such an awesome moment, but because of the length of the chord I actually started listening for breaks and realized I wasn't really going to be able to tell one way or another with all that synth mess.

I think the road is a gamble visually. Granny has a point about it keeping the corps in one part of the field most of the show. Hasn't seemed to harm the score yet, though.

So, how much of the tie with SOA in Metamora was due to the electrical problems / storm at the stadium? Looking at the show thread, Spirit had to perform with a generator, while Troopers had the benefit of portable lights that were brought in.

So, how much of the tie with SOA in Metamora was due to the electrical problems / storm at the stadium? Looking at the show thread, Spirit had to perform with a generator, while Troopers had the benefit of portable lights that were brought in.

I wasn't at the show, but according to a review posted earlier this morning, Spirit "went on in very low light, almost to the point that several of us were worried about their safety."

Not exactly a level playing field on which to be judged, IMO.

I wasn't at the show, but according to a review posted earlier this morning, Spirit "went on in very low light, almost to the point that several of us were worried about their safety."

Not exactly a level playing field on which to be judged, IMO.

Unless the judges took that into account when viewing both corps.

I think the road is a gamble visually. Granny has a point about it keeping the corps in one part of the field most of the show. Hasn't seemed to harm the score yet, though.

I like the road, and from my Fan Network viewing I don't find it limiting in use of the field.

As for the conditions at Metamora - we have no idea. Judges may have taken the conditions into account, or they may not have. Unless someone asks them directly, it's all speculation. And how many times have some of us in Troop Nation over the years been willing to point the finger at judges and claim they weren't giving credit where credit was due, or giving too much credit for a show we thought (mistakenly) that we should be ahead of, or for not taking into account circumstances beyond the corps' control? (weather, lighting, time of day, etc.) Did it ever change anything? Nope. Sure was cathartic, though. :tongue:

As I said in the review thread that oldsoprano is referencing, the story will always be in the recaps. That's where we see what the judges think (individually), not the overall score.