Troop2011

Ick, and double ick to the cummerbunds.

I'm pretty uninspired by their uniform choices since their return. There is so much historical inspiration they could draw from that I don't understand why the corps feels compelled to look like every other corps in the activity.

True that... and speaking of attire, I do like your blue and violet polka dot bonnet, Granny. It's very becoming on you.

Edited by BRASSO

Could it not also be argued that the uniform choices since the 2007 have been a part of the return to competitiveness that took nearly a quarter century? I think that there is still more than enough historical inspiration in the new versions that most who follow the activity can recognize the Troopers and still appreciate their history.

Yeah, I understand that line of thinking, and there's a part of me that agrees in general. I just think if you remove the hat you aren't left with much. So for sake of trying to be a bit more illustrative I have attached the following picture to try and communicate a little more clearly where I think they could go.

Granted, I'm not suggesting they come strolling out with helmets, but I think it would be cool to see the Troopers come out in something that is very uniform, but not quite so "Star Trekky" shiny polyester looking.

In fact, I think it would be very interesting if they came out in uniforms that were "aged" a bit with a vintage feel.

buffalo.jpg

Yeah, I understand that line of thinking, and there's a part of me that agrees in general. I just think if you remove the hat you aren't left with much. So for sake of trying to be a bit more illustrative I have attached the following picture to try and communicate a little more clearly where I think they could go.

Granted, I'm not suggesting they come strolling out with helmets, but I think it would be cool to see the Troopers come out in something that is very uniform, but not quite so "Star Trekky" shiny polyester looking.

In fact, I think it would be very interesting if they came out in uniforms that were "aged" a bit with a vintage feel.

buffalo.jpg

Is that the actual 11th ohio uniform?

Is that the actual 11th ohio uniform?

No.

This is just something I came up with while searching on Google. It's a Buffalo Cavalry uniform.

However, the Troopers are so far removed from their historical uniform that I think they could go with something like this and connect back to a cavalry uniform in general.

No.

This is just something I came up with while searching on Google. It's a Buffalo Cavalry uniform.

However, the Troopers are so far removed from their historical uniform that I think they could go with something like this and connect back to a cavalry uniform in general.

While I don't agree with you on the cummerbund (which is the first time I think we've disagreed on something *sniff*), I do agree with you on the historical side of the uni. Their unis now (although I like them better than last year's) in no way even remotely resembles 11th Ohio Cavalry's anymore. I really do think there is a way of modernizing the older uni. Bringing back the scarves, the US belt and gray pants (with the gold stripe!) with a trimmed down "modern look would do it. That's just me, though. Even with the changes, the F-Troop will always remain one of my favorites!

Edited by skajerk

While I don't agree with you on the cummerbund (which is the first time I think we've disagreed on something *sniff*), I do agree with you on the historical side of the uni. Their unis now (although I like them better than last year's) in no way even remotely resembles 11th Ohio Cavalry's anymore. I really do think there is a way of modernizing the older uni. Bringing back the scarves, the US belt and gray pants (with the gold stripe!) with a trimmed down "modern look would do it. That's just me, though. Even with the changes, the F-Troop will always remain one of my favorites!

Long story short, I wanted to march my age out year with Troopers or Santa Clara Vanguard. Flag line of course :smile: I like the cummerbund look too and believe me, that yellow and gold was striking in daylight and night. The scarves looked great coming and going :wink: 3 scans, mine from a 69 program, photo taken by Moe Knox (I think), the same photo enhanced with modern technology and a 1970 photo recently posted on Toronto Optimists Alumni website of Troopers at Varsity Stadium 1970 :bigsmile:

69-Troopers.jpg

69-Troopersenhanced.jpg

Frans_Rood_1970_46.jpg

Go Troop!!! First show tonight!!!!

My take on the uniform discussion:

The scarves were a visual mess in modern competition. Wind and the new way of moving bodies in drum corps just make it an issue now. I think the chest sash helps bring back the yellow scarf hint, for me at least, and it really helps the yellow collar punch out more. I LOVE the new drop sash!

We could never go back to the old belts because of movement limitations, IMO. There would have to be a way to sew it in. Also, the long jacket makes the corps look squatty and young. The hat question has been in my mind a lot in the last few years. Getting the sensation of height without looking even less like the Troopers is a quandary.

Troop fans: there is a VoD of Troopers field show from their first performance on the Fan Network, if you're a subscriber!