Troop2011

So, how much of the tie with SOA in Metamora was due to the electrical problems / storm at the stadium? Looking at the show thread, Spirit had to perform with a generator, while Troopers had the benefit of portable lights that were brought in.

I was at the show and it was still relatively light out when Spirit performed. Not 100% ideal, but not unsafe by any means, IMO. I did not feel like I had any trouble seeing them, and I didn't feel it was all that much darker than the Crossmen had to put up with. INT followed and that's when things started to get dark, and they brought out the portable lights, which IMO would have been nearly as unsafe as leaving things dark. Such a low light source and the shadows would have been terrible, not to mention they had placed them too close to the field (< 10 ft from the sidelines--they would have interfered with Spirit's guard barriers, eg). But thankfully the stadium lights came on just in time.

It was not obvious to me that Spirit was using a generator during their show. You could not hear one anyway. For all I know the power cord was just as likely run to the nearby high school building which still had power (only the stadium building itself lost power--I assumed a circuit breaker burnout).

Now, the judges themselves were in an unpowered press box with probably minimal light and no A/C during Legends, Crossmen, and Sprit. I think it's probable that the conditions affected how the show was judged, but no more than changing conditions--heat, wind, natural vs artificial light, drizzle, etc--over any day of outdoor performance would.

• Like 1

As I said in the review thread that oldsoprano is referencing, the story will always be in the recaps. That's where we see what the judges think (individually), not the overall score.

Well, I guess that's why I asked the question. Troop was second in both visual excellence categories, over Blue Stars. Great, if a reflection of reality, but was it? Initially, I'm skeptical. So, if I look at the nifty Blue Knights standings page, it appears that:

1 - Blue Stars had taken big hits over their prior shows in the visual categories, so it may not reflect reality that Troopers are / will end up better than them in visual

2 - Troopers and Spirit's scores in this area have been relatively stable, so maybe the 75 - 75 draw was a (as much as can be expected for a given show) good comparison

Well, I guess that's why I asked the question. Troop was second in both visual excellence categories, over Blue Stars. Great, if a reflection of reality, but was it? Initially, I'm skeptical. So, if I look at the nifty Blue Knights standings page, it appears that:

1 - Blue Stars had taken big hits over their prior shows in the visual categories, so it may not reflect reality that Troopers are / will end up better than them in visual

Blue Stars had just made major changes to their drill and other visual aspects of the show, so it was dirty. I personally rarely notice visual dirt at live shows, but even I could see that there were some particularly messy moments in the drill. I expect their visual scores to recover over the next few shows.

So the tie with Spirit was not a fluke. Nice!

• Like 3

Let's not settle for 12th. Clean up that guard! GE will rise and placements will too. The judges and crowd love this show. 12th is just a stepping stone to better things.

Keep up the hard work Troopers.

• Like 1

I'll take that. 11th places 11th in 11.

• Like 2

This next week is hell week. Lots of driving between shows, especially Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Denton to Odessa 360 mi.... Odessa to San Antonio 340 mi... blurgh! At least the OTL in San Antonio is late. It's a real mental game once they hit the KS-OK-TX swing starting Tuesday.

I'll take that. 11th places 11th in 11.

As in 11th Ohio. I like it!