Coolest Musical Effects

'91 SCV's chopper effect is still the coolest thing I've ever heard on a field.

• Like 3

1991 SCV Miss Saigon opening Helicopter effect nothing like it since.

1993 Cadets Opener with the small pit area on right side of field at goal line. Also Snares using individual chime tubes in opener.

Edited by Zeke

Another vote for SCV '91's helicopter effect at the the end of their show which traveled diagonally up the field from left to right, at least, that's how the effect worked during the early portion of that season. I remember when SCV performed at Orange Coast College stadium (which is essentially built in a shallow hole in Costa Mesa, CA) people in the stands were looking up as the effect was so real; it left the crowd gasping. That stadium has special significance for me, as it was the last time & place I spoke to GR before he passed.

Edited by TRacer

1990 Star of Indiana Praise Ye! Fanfare. One of the best fanfares in drum corps ever. The whole thing was a special effect for me, based on the chordal structure of the fanfare and the pit equipment used.

1991 Roman Images show.... From 2:07 - 2:60.

The corps hornline and some bells were spread out on the field, playing some stuff that created a "stereophonic" sound on the field where the melody jumped from one part of the field to others in a very short period of time. Sort of like Like taking the fader control on a stereo and moving it from left to right ( but more complicated than that). It doesn't show up on the recordings well at all, but it was incredible to hear that effect live!

Several corps have used hand bell choirs for wonderful effect. Cadets '93 comes to mind as one example.

I also like when drumlines have small tuned metallics that they use to add effects. Phantom '93 and BD '04 are good examples.

Playing from an unexpected place is always fun. Both Phantom '10 (opening chords) and SCV '90 (final chord) played from the tunnels, great moments.

Un-amplified choral singing from the horn line can be a goose-bump moment. Think Boston '00.

Another vote for SCV 1991, even playing on your stereo/headphones you hear it go from one side to another. To me the best effect in DCI history without use of electronics.

Below is Rage Against the Machine's disclaimer about them using no synthesizers or keyboards in making their debut album. SCV should have a similar disclaimer about their 91 ending.

rage-07.jpeg

One of the effects I liked best was vocal drumming. Bluecoats '05 and Cadets '05 come to mind.

Yeeeaahhhhh, that's called singing. Let's not confuse it with drumming. Ever again hopefully.

• Like 1