Who's Going To Win The Brass Title This Season?

196 members have voted

1. 1. Who's Winning Brass?

86' or 94'. Best hornlines in BD history. Completely off the chain.

Good choices. How about 91 or 93? Those two hornlines was insane.

• 3 weeks later...

Crown!!! What an amazing book Klesch has written for them and they are playing it very tasty!!!!

• Like 1

I firmly believe that BD is the most deserving of this award this year. After them, Crown. If the Cavies even get close to it, I'll probably lose faith in drum corps judging; the sounds they're producing just aren't fundamentally good sounds. The low brass sounds so ridiculously harsh it's unreal. I know they're playing the heck out of their parts, but tone goes a long way, and it sure isn't for them now that the brass staff has completely changed.

No. There are a few people making bad sounds. Under the old brass staff, there were guys making bad sounds out there too, you just couldn't hear them because they were tucked in and playing mezo forte. The brass staff there now WILL refine it and they will be in the running for the Ott at the end of the year. They are running their tails off while playing a lot of notes. Also, the harmony in the show is very dense. BD sounds great, but they stand still a ton. If you do more there are more ticks and the cavaliers are doing more and ticking more right now, but they will clean up.

• Like 1

Cadets have beaten a number of excellent brass lines this summer, and they are by no means clean. With that demanding horn book I would give them a chance. In the end I think it will come down to the usual suspects: BD, Cadets, Cavaliers, and Crown. Dark horse is the Bluecoats. They are beginning to bring the goods, but they will need the GE in their show to start moving upward. They play a very challenging book and I think their tonal balance and blend are as good as anyone out there.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

After 6 viewings of BD... I've really changed my stance on them. There are sounds, especially coming out of the Soprano section, that I do not think are representative of drum corps or the Blue Devils organization. It is very strident and out of tune. Badly. It hurts my ears.

I'm absolutely hating on Crown's program this year, but I like their brass and have changed over to thinking they will take the trophy.

^ I'd have to agree with jwillis there about the Bluecoats. They do have a very nice blended tone, and their book is up there in demand, but I don't think they have as difficult a brass book as a couple others above them.

I still believe Vanguard is going to beat Bluecoats at Finals, but it won't be because of brass or visual. It will be because of percussion, guard and GE. GE by probably by a point. Bluecoats should beat them in brass by .3 or so, which when added with the other judges score, and divided by two for average, then divided in two again, will come out to a .15 difference, not enough to overcome the other captions by any means. I expect SCV to take Bloo by almost a point by the end of the season. 95.7 for SCV, 94.85 for Bluecoats.

Still thinking Crown for the brass title so far.