Who's Going To Win The Brass Title This Season?

196 members have voted

1. 1. Who's Winning Brass?

whoever scores highest on the sheets

• Like 2

Personally, no horn line should win the award unless they are actually playing musical phrases that, IMO, are "musical." Too many corps (BD included) have gone to "snippets" of music that, IMO, should disqualify them from contention. Why is BD's brass line so good? I honestly don't know. I haven't been a fan of theirs musically, in a very long time. However, I will wait and see what they do to this years music before passing judgement.

It's about QUALITY, not QUANTITY.

Personally, no horn line should win the award unless they are actually playing musical phrases that, IMO, are "musical." Too many corps (BD included) have gone to "snippets" of music that, IMO, should disqualify them from contention. Why is BD's brass line so good? I honestly don't know. I haven't been a fan of theirs musically, in a very long time. However, I will wait and see what they do to this years music before passing judgement.

In my opinion, the Blue Devils show this year is about as opposite from they way you described them as possible. Almost to a fault. They have long, sustained musical phrases with rich melodies and harmonies. In fact, many of their phrases are so long, I believe it "hurts" their visual. The whole reason corps began writing in this more "musical snippets" way was for visual reasons. One easy way to achieve visual interest and velocity is to have visual transitions every 4, 8, or 12 counts. You can't simply put in extra visual transitions if the music doesn't call for it. So BD's design team has to also write long visual phrases, which many equate to being easy and uninteresting drill. I say it fits the music.

I would agree that recent BD shows like 2004, 2005, 2008, 2010, and to some extent 2003 and 2009 have quite a bit of "snippet" writing. But watch/listen closely to their 2006, 2007, and this year's shows. The have as long, or longer musical phrases as anyone.

• Like 2

Oh yeah.... and I voted for Carolina Crown. From the recordings I have heard, their balance and blend is absolutely top notch for this early. I have always thought they had some of the best sounding middle voices (baris, euphs, mellos), but now it seems their sops and contras are of equal superiority. When you get a chance to experience their show listen how well the highest brass voices lay on top of the ensemble. It's very difficult to play play trumpet well in that range while maintaining good intonation, control, and a nice dark sound. They are doing a masterful job at this.

• Like 1

It's about QUALITY, not QUANTITY.

Yes to that, and the three corps in 2011 that will separate themselves in brass this summer from the rest of the pack are, in this order:

Crown

Cadets

Cavaliers

86' or 94'. Best hornlines in BD history. Completely off the chain.

I'm partial to '88 and '93 myself....

See they have SO many great hornlines...

• Like 1

Not having heard anything from BD, is it because they are still playing the aforementioned "snippets?" Also, it's pretty easy to sound good playing "snippets" standing still. (not that BD is known for breakneck drill)

I know that my biggest frustrations with BD's book this year is the snippety-ness of it. Say a Little Prayer should have been epic. Bacharach is a *song*-writer, so I'd prefer to linger more on each song and style instead of a couple of different takes on a song and then on to the next one. Oh well.

I firmly believe that BD is the most deserving of this award this year. After them, Crown. If the Cavies even get close to it, I'll probably lose faith in drum corps judging; the sounds they're producing just aren't fundamentally good sounds. The low brass sounds so ridiculously harsh it's unreal. I know they're playing the heck out of their parts, but tone goes a long way, and it sure isn't for them now that the brass staff has completely changed.

• Like 2