2011 Rankings

Classy.

That was a joke bill :):)

That was a joke bill :):)

now ed you can't joke like that. i've gotten in a lot of trouble doing that. c'mon man! i'm trying not to do it anymore. my humor is dry just like your's. but i still like to get jeff all riled up. but he get's it.

this is about the 4th post like this i have seen. Stop complaining. Govies are better than the Kilties, its that simple.

Not my intent at all to COMPLAIN,merley posing a Question.

Btw way I have for the most part been a huge fan of the Govies even when I competed against them.

I know but what Im saying is in past years Bucs still had a decent lead after this weekend of shows. So really different panels/shows has nothing to do with it. My point is Bucs dont have the 1.0+ lead that they normally have this time of year.

The Bucs only had a .8 spread over Empire going into prelims last season. And those scores were from the same show. The Bucs didn't have that magical second show this past weekend where almost everyone's scores seemed to skyrocket. I'm not going to bet my life on it, but I'm pretty sure the Bucs will have a 95 or a 96 after next weekend. In any case they will have higher than a 94.25. If MBI's score had stayed at a 93 I think it would have been a lock to see Empire edge them out going into prelims, but I will admit a 94.25 is a high score so it COULD happen but that is not a given. The sad thing is I haven't even seen MBI or Reading this season and I'm probably not far off base. It's pretty predictable. Likelyhood is there won't be any big surprises and MBI will not be seeded first going into prelims. Just a hunch that has absolutely NOTHING to do with show design or execution.

The Bucs only had a .8 spread over Empire going into prelims last season. And those scores were from the same show. The Bucs didn't have that magical second show this past weekend where almost everyone's scores seemed to skyrocket. I'm not going to bet my life on it, but I'm pretty sure the Bucs will have a 95 or a 96 after next weekend. In any case they will have higher than a 94.25. If MBI's score had stayed at a 93 I think it would have been a lock to see Empire edge them out going into prelims, but I will admit a 94.25 is a high score so it COULD happen but that is not a given. The sad thing is I haven't even seen MBI or Reading this season and I'm probably not far off base. It's pretty predictable. Likelyhood is there won't be any big surprises and MBI will not be seeded first going into prelims. Just a hunch that has absolutely NOTHING to do with show design or execution.

I dont think anyone is arguing that Bucs wont be in first going into prelims. Eastcoast has shows next weekend, Midwest/South do not. East corps will get that extra read to bump them all up. I see Bucs at a mid 95 next weekend and I see Hurcs and Empire in the high 93 to mid 94.

What make that interesting is the non east corps get the full weekend to rehearse while the east gets scores. Kind of a toss up really. Prelims seeding will be slightly wonky but thats what its for, to get corps lined up correctly for finals.

ok i have to interject here. as a judge you do not score or place a corps based on last week or any other week. you score and place based on the show you are judgeing at that moment. to do it any other way is wrong. so on that point i completly disagree with you. if that's how it's done now then i give up on drum corps.

What he was saying made sense to me. We don't have regionals to compare groups, so judges need some gauge to do that. If I stood in front of a hornline one week and gave a number, and then a week later stood in front of a different hornline that was not as good... I should not give them a score that is higher, even though it is a week later. The simply reasoning is because they were not as good. If they are equally as good, then I give them the same score. If they are better, then I give them a higher score.

Hypothetically, if the Bucs came out and scored a 189 in brass one week and then three weeks later, the Cabs did a better job than that Bucs hornline I saw, the Cabs should score higher than 189. The Bucs hornline has probably gotten better in that time and would probably score even higher, but you have to compare with what you have seen.

I think his explanation made perfect sense. If you do not have a guage to go off, then you are guessing. Even with the box descriptions, there is still flexibility. Each point does not have a specific criteria - just a group of points (or boxes).

could it be that goveis did a better show sunday and kilties were worse? let me give you an example. i know this was a long time ago and judgeing has changed but in 1968 in syracuse the yankee rebelscame in 5th place one week. the very next week in hershey thay came in 1st. they were much better in hershey. now isn't it supposed to be that way? just like in sports. when your good you win when your bad you lose. i mean it's just common sense.

At least the collective judging panel saw it that way. If it was the same panel, I would bet that some scores went up, but more scores went down because judges either A) Saw more dirt/issues than the previous night, or B) Saw things that were inconsistent with what they thought was being achieved the previous night.

ok i have to interject here. as a judge you do not score or place a corps based on last week or any other week. you score and place based on the show you are judgeing at that moment. to do it any other way is wrong. so on that point i completly disagree with you. if that's how it's done now then i give up on drum corps.

Yes, you do base it on that given performance:

But- did you read what I said in the first statement? I don't think so. or, maybe I wasn't crystal clear enough.

Let me spell it out and try one more time for those who have never have sat in the hot seat and just don't get it:

Corps A comes on and does not perform as well as Corps B from last week. Should the judge not go back to their tote sheets/previous scores and score Corps A below that given number for Corps B based on their direct experience and comparison? Or should they just make up a number? What do you think the judge should do with Corps A? Give me an answer- and do it quick! You only have a couple of minutes between corps to be fair and as accurate in your evaluations as possible. I don't understand how you have a disconnect with this at all. Corps C performs worse than last week when the same adjudicator judged them in the same caption. Shouldn't the adjudicator lower the score accordingly from the previous week!? What's your answer to that? Explain, please! What don't people understand here!? If you were an instructor in Corps C and you know your corps was worse, you hear the judge's tape and realizes they know it too in comparison to what they heard and saw last week- and your score isn't lower--- what would you think about that judge and their number management and their consistency or competency? I'd like to hear an answer on that one!

If you think what I just explained above is incorrect, then perhaps you need to "give up" because you're not reading and getting your arms around what's going on and why. If a judge did not do exactly what I just explained, they wouldn't be in any competent judging association. At best, they'd be sat down for a talk on "numbers management." That's all Adjudication 101. If I were a DCA staff member and found an adjudicator was inconsistent with their numbers from week to week and there was no relationship on any of their evaluations in the same caption from contest to contest- I'd protest. I wouldn't be the only staff member screaming at DCA officials. DCA wouldn't have a judge on board that didn't understand that concept and apply it properly. For that matter, neither would any HS band circuit!

Good googly-moogly, people. Yes, you judge the show in front of you! But you also take your previous reads of that corps and of other corps and use them as additional tools to arrive at a fair and accurate evaluation! What's not to understand here? What other way is there to do it!? Use a ouija board? Give me an answer that makes any sense that's radically different from what I outlined above. I dare yah. :blink:

• Like 1

What he was saying made sense to me. We don't have regionals to compare groups, so judges need some gauge to do that. If I stood in front of a hornline one week and gave a number, and then a week later stood in front of a different hornline that was not as good... I should not give them a score that is higher, even though it is a week later. The simply reasoning is because they were not as good. If they are equally as good, then I give them the same score. If they are better, then I give them a higher score.

Hypothetically, if the Bucs came out and scored a 189 in brass one week and then three weeks later, the Cabs did a better job than that Bucs hornline I saw, the Cabs should score higher than 189. The Bucs hornline has probably gotten better in that time and would probably score even higher, but you have to compare with what you have seen.

I think his explanation made perfect sense. If you do not have a guage to go off, then you are guessing. Even with the box descriptions, there is still flexibility. Each point does not have a specific criteria - just a group of points (or boxes).

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

Dude, you going to Reading? I owe you a soda or an adult beverage afterwards. I thought I was going crazy. :satisfied: