New scoring system for 2012

Had a great time at the theater last night, almost all of the shows were very entertaining.

One of the more interesting points was when Michael Cesario talked about the proposed judging sheets for 2012 that corps directors will be receiving on Tuesday to review. When asked by Rondenaro (sp?) if they had a chance to pass the response was "oh we'll get it passed".

It basically seemed like he was describing a system that put entertainment value and performers connection/impact on the audience on the sheets to carry as much weight as execution/performance. There wasn't much more info given than that, but it seemed clear that they want to get away from rewarding exquisitely performed shows that don't connect to the audience.

Any one else catch this?

I did not get to see that discussion, but I have to say that if they start to address this issue, it may go a long way toward fixing what is wrong with modern drum corps.

• Like 1

I hope he sticks to changing DCI for the better and stops designing uniforms. :ph34r:

• Like 4

Had a great time at the theater last night, almost all of the shows were very entertaining.

One of the more interesting points was when Michael Cesario talked about the proposed judging sheets for 2012 that corps directors will be receiving on Tuesday to review. When asked by Rondenaro (sp?) if they had a chance to pass the response was "oh we'll get it passed".

It basically seemed like he was describing a system that put entertainment value and performers connection/impact on the audience on the sheets to carry as much weight as execution/performance. There wasn't much more info given than that, but it seemed clear that they want to get away from rewarding exquisitely performed shows that don't connect to the audience.

Any one else catch this?

I saw that and thought it was interesting.

If nothing else, it will give us DCPers plenty of fodder to deal with the PAB (post August blues).

I only had one ear on the screen between corps because I, like many others I feel, were using the down time to whisper about what we saw. That's pure excitement right there!

But yes, I definitely caught this. I thought there was a rule proposal or dialogue in the off season that kind of correlated with this too? Something about a more direct linking of crowd response to effect scoring somehow?

On this, Cesario inferred that this addition to the sheet will influence design choices and steer Dci as a whole on a new course.

Like Western Music's history. . .classical. . .romantic. . .and neo-classic. . .he's right!

I like the idea of the new sheets that Cesario described. I will, however, say this...

Back in the day, on the tic system, there was plenty of entertainment. People were not necessarily complaining about shows not being entertaining. The complaints often centered around corps "watering" down their visual and musical book in order to clean. Many folks thought this was what cost 27th Lancers their title shot in 1980 (failure to hose and clean).

So come 1984 the system was revamped to reward demand. A build-up system of awarding points based on set criteria was instituted, and in this formula content and demand of that content was more heavily weighted. Under this system there was a fine line between being clean and having demand. Demand for the sake of demand was not to be rewarded, but demand created artistically within the scope of the show and performed to a high level would be given credit over less demanding and cleaner performances.

Under this model the Garfield Cadets flourished and changed the direction of show design.

The latest iterations of the judging system (1994 and 2002), while not that different from the original build-up system of 1984, are less rewarding of demand and more rewarding of GE. Many thought that rewarding GE as described on the latest sheets would pave the way for more entertaining shows. That hasn't always happened. I say this not to take away from the great shows we have seen in the late 1990s and 2000s, but to the average fan drum corps shows have become too sophisticated and perhaps too artsy. If you read the GE sheet and its guidelines you will understand why this can happen. Not enough emphasis was placed on a show's ability to communicate with the audience in a meaningful (aka fans being excited) way.

Under the systems of the late 90s and 2000s the Cavaliers and Blue Devils have flourished.

Some have argued that the direction of music arranging took a big hit from 1995 to now. Arrangements were becoming choppy, with effects-based writing playing a subservient role to the visual perhaps more than necessary, and that phrases were too short and choppy, with very little development.

So now we will get a new system that hopefully helps to bridge art and entertainment a bit better. I just find it interesting that under the old system the entertainment aspect was not a big issue. Perhaps judges were given more flexibility to interpret GE in the old days and that allowed them to consider the audience connection to the show.

Edited by jwillis35