Should DCI have rules to protect kids from themselves?

Should kids take precautions against future problems by protecting themselves from the sun? Yes. Should DCI pass a bunch of rules to "protect kids from themselves?" Absolutely not. One of the points of drum corps is to let kids get out from under the maternalistic wing and start becoming their own adults, so let them be adults.

• Like 3

Gonna need bigger bus bays for all the bigger suitcases if we start requiring shirts everyday for everyone...

• Like 1

Should kids take precautions against future problems by protecting themselves from the sun? Yes. Should DCI pass a bunch of rules to "protect kids from themselves?" Absolutely not. One of the points of drum corps is to let kids get out from under the maternalistic wing and start becoming their own adults, so let them be adults.

Completely agree.

• Like 1

there will be thousands of cases in the years to come,

Because sunlight just started causing a risk for this? People have been getting exposed to sunlight since well.. forever. Not saying there might not be a link here, science shows it, but at the same time its not something that should be turned into the crisis of the week.

On average id say my generation and younger probably get less sunlight than average than generations before. More inside activities, gaming systems,less outdoor work (definitely not as many out in the sun doing farm work anymore), etc.

Wow skin cancer, joint problems, maybe we should just stop drum corps all together, def not worth the risks :ph34r:

If you're concerned about your kid getting cancer from drum corps, talk to you kid about it, and help educate them. Then let them make their own informed decisions about it. We're talking about an activity thats for 14 (but usually 18 or older) to 21 year olds. They're young adults. 21 year olds can drink, vote, drive, work, pay taxes, buy houses, go to college, but we're talking about taking away their freedom to practice without a shirt on......c'mon man!? :thumbdown:

• Like 1

Because sunlight just started causing a risk for this? People have been getting exposed to sunlight since well.. forever. Not saying there might not be a link here, science shows it, but at the same time its not something that should be turned into the crisis of the week.

On average id say my generation and younger probably get less sunlight than average than generations before. More inside activities, gaming systems,less outdoor work (definitely not as many out in the sun doing farm work anymore), etc.

This.

The good news is, according to the New York Times, drum corps may improve eyesight!

the rapid increase in nearsightedness appears to be due to a characteristic of modern life: more and more time spent indoors under artificial lights.

Our genes were originally selected to succeed in a very different world from the one we live in today. Humans’ brains and eyes originated long ago, when we spent most of our waking hours in the sun. The process of development takes advantage of such reliable features of the environment, which then may become necessary for normal growth.

Researchers suspect that bright outdoor light helps children’s developing eyes maintain the correct distance between the lens and the retina — which keeps vision in focus. Dim indoor lighting doesn’t seem to provide the same kind of feedback. As a result, when children spend too many hours inside, their eyes fail to grow correctly and the distance between the lens and retina becomes too long, causing far-away objects to look blurry.

'The Sun Is the Best Optometrist'

Wow skin cancer, joint problems, maybe we should just stop drum corps all together, def not worth the risks :ph34r:

If you're concerned about your kid getting cancer from drum corps, talk to you kid about it, and help educate them. Then let them make their own informed decisions about it. We're talking about an activity thats for 14 (but usually 18 or older) to 21 year olds. They're young adults. 21 year olds can drink, vote, drive, work, pay taxes, buy houses, go to college, but we're talking about taking away their freedom to practice without a shirt on......c'mon man!? :thumbdown:

I agree with this entirely. Should corps encourage healthy rehearsal habits? Of course. That means reminders that people should be using sunscreen.

But nobody should be forced to do anything. If a member gets sun cancer, however unfortunate, that's out of his or her own neglect or unfortunate bad luck. But god knows I'm not going to be wearing a shirt out there in that heat if I don't have to.

Wow, BITD there were so many fat kids like me, no one ever took their shirts off....

:lookaround:

Tanning is different for different people.

How about DCI suggesting to directors that they teach their kids to be responsible with their bodies, like "Don't turn your knee this way when jazz running." I can almost guarantee that this is not these kids first trip out of the house. They know their bodies. Give them 5 minutes to lather up and be done with it.

Let them be kids. Teach them to be adults. Personal choice has consequences. You can't legislate protection for everyone. Responsibility kicks in at some point, right?

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

I'd like to ask those who are responding against such an idea if they are a) Old enough to have been affected by preventable physical problems, and b)Parents.