Vanguard Yell & Viper

What's funny is that I think the staff actually got a bit upset at the fans for adding it in one year. (I think it was 2003)

Honestly I'm more interested to how loud(or quiet) it's going to be in the Oil Can. :shutup:

It was '09. People tried putting in at the beginning of the season, right before the big impact in the second movement, or right before the Simple Gifts portion in the closer, but the staff asked that people take it out, and not put it into the show. it really would have distracted from the beauty of the show, and the silence was really essential. I don't feel like it took anything away from the show, I think it hyped itself well enough. I'm glad to see it added back in again though, it will be good to do from the stands for sure. :thumbup:

I believe YELLING OR SCREAMING VANGUAAAARRRDDD!!! in the middle of a drumcorps show is ridiculous!

...the only thing that should ever be yelled during SCV's performance is

"CRYYYYSSSSTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Edited by DCImonkey
  • Like 1

Funny thing is I don't remember a single person complaining during the yelling of "I AM SPARTACUS" or the SUTA yells placed in several shows, which seems to be a copycat of the VANGUARD yell.

Somehow, I don't think yelling "I am Spartacus" is a rip off of "Vanguard!" Ya know, since it thematically has its origins outside of drum corps.

And that's another reason I don't like it. Someone (the general someone) is always guessing where the yell should be. It's now becoming more important then the show/music that is already written. If a show ever has to be re-written or music removed because of this "yell", I'll be very disappointed. IMO, If it the yell is made over music, then the yell shouldn't be done. PERIOD!

*puts flame retardant suit on*

It happened in 2008. No yell was originally written into the show, people kept yelling it during important moments, so they sliced and diced some music in the closer to fit it in.

Love SCV......Hate the Yell.

It is way too distracting almost like the wave at the Rose Bowl

-G

• Like 1

hopefully the crowd can get it before the walnut show saturday so i can witness my first vanguard yell!

Don't worry, I'll be there and make sure the crowds are LOUD! :)

• Like 1

Love SCV......Hate the Yell.

It is way too distracting almost like the wave at the Rose Bowl

-G

The diff being that the wave comes to a crashing halt when it hits the section with the drum corps fans (presuming you're talking about the July 4th gig)

The diff being that the wave comes to a crashing halt when it hits the section with the drum corps fans (presuming you're talking about the July 4th gig)

I dunno. The VK had come pretty good waves that included the entire concert side of drum corps fans.

I dunno. The VK had come pretty good waves that included the entire concert side of drum corps fans.

I believe Sam is talking about the annual 4th of July shows at the Rose Bowl where the majority of people are there for the fireworks display, not the corps.

Edited by skajerk