What's holding Carolina Crown from a gold?

175 members have voted

1. 1. What's holding Carolina Crown from a gold?

I think that their problems are primarily Visual, Percussion (design as it relates to the program. Not execution! Their percussion are SMOKIN players in the pit and battery) and show design. I typically look forward to them, and "want" to love them, but then I see it and I dont walk out with that "wow" feeling. Sort of like Spiderman 2 and 3. You get hyped, and you really want to believe its going to floor you and instead you walk out and think "Burger king? or Chick-Fil-A?". I am having the same feeling about the Green Lantern. I hope its as good as I want it to be.

:blink: You didn't like Spiderman 2? It's BY FAR the best of the three (so far) movies. Oh, and STAY AWAY from Green Lantern. Trust me, I run a movie theater and the things I've been hearing about it are AWFUL. Granted, I haven't watched it myself (because of these awful things I've heard.)

Edited by Cardman
  • Like 1

First off, placing in the top 5 routinely, which is what they are now doing, is pretty darn amazing and I find it hard to say a corps is doing something wrong when clearly they are doing most things right.

The Blue Devils have the most titles for many reasons (They're incredible), but let's also not forget they are the wealthiest of the corps.

agree with a lot of this, but BD is hardly wealthy. If they are the wealthiest, then DCI may fold really soon.

Movement program.

I'm a technique nerd. Its apparent when a group has either::

1) Been taught in-depth about the approach they are taking- learning WHY the visual program is the way it is, WHY they stand the way they do, what daily exercises they work on, warm up to in the lot. Groups like this (BD, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Vanguard) When visual design comes down to having reason behind everything- daily warm ups, doing choreography in the show which relates to what they work on daily- rather than just doing visuals for the sake of doing visuals- marrying the music with the visual interpretation, rather than- Loud :drum break, horn move to the sideline, whip back to front, plie: loud - they excel due to understanding the approach and constantly working on developing the same concepts.

or

2) Rehearse like hell to get everything perfect without particularly thinking things through. Repetition, repetition, drilled into the members. (Cadets, Phantom Regiment, Blue Stars)

Crown fits somewhere in the middle there. In fact, my friends often joke that they are the only corps in DCI that MOVES extremely well but Marches not as well. They always have very beautiful choreography and due to their rehearsal technique, the members do a fantastic job at displaying that epic Carolina Crown sound simultaneously. However, if you look at their leg shape, the way each foot hits the ground, abdomen strength, quality of movement and body projection- its very lacking in comparison to the other visual and musical responsibilities.

From the few times I've seen Crown warm up, it makes perfect sense. They March and Play at the same time more than any other corps. But... I haven't really seen them do any movement exercises in the lot. Therefore, their visual performances improves due to the amount of choreography in the show (movement makes you march better) but because they don't have an incredibly extensive understanding of what their movement program is (In comparison to Blue Devils or Cavaliers) it can only clean up so much.

Afterthought: Oh yeah, and they COUNT in visual block. Loudly. That's not cool. Corps is supposed to be cool.

Edited by Vegas Fan

Because DCI judges only appreciate angry shows. They don't realize they can drink the other flavored koolaid. I don't care if Crown wins or not, they've won the fans, and they have a buttload of Disney and Fan Network flags to prove it. (and those giant lip balm trophies).

If it happens great. If not, oh well. I don't put much faith into DCI judging since I find it impossible for a corps to rank the exact same in nearly every caption when looking at recaps. Until this slotting crap gets figured out for real....I don't put much stock into anyone's placements.

Entertain me....I don't care where you place. One of my favorite shows this year is Phantom Regiment. They won't sniff the Top 5, but I love em.

• Like 2

I put visual for two reasons:

1. Visual design. 2009 was great, but 2010 was one of those that tried to force the concept of "we play in big spread out forms" way too much. That makes it impossible to have a great sounding brass line unless every single person is on fire. Going along with that concept...

2. Consistency from member to member: this is mainly in the brass. They have some bomb as$ marchers that are as good or better than anybody in any other corps. But they also have some that just aren't on the same level. BD has every member look the same when they march and they all long ridiculously strong and controlled at all times.

Because DCI judges only appreciate angry shows. They don't realize they can drink the other flavored koolaid. I don't care if Crown wins or not, they've won the fans, and they have a buttload of Disney and Fan Network flags to prove it. (and those giant lip balm trophies).

Which of these are the "Angry" shows again?

2010 Blue Devils- Through a Glass Darkly. City of Glass Suite, Trajectories, Mirage, Incidents in Jazz, Laura, La Suerte De Los Tontos

(a 1961 Swedish film written and directed by Ingmar Bergman, and produced by Allan Ekelund. The film is a three-act "chamber film", in which four family members act as mirrors for each other. It is the first of many Bergman films to be shot on the island of Fårö.)

2009 Blue Devils 1930- Get Happy, Happy Days Are Here Again, Playing Love,Piano Variations,Rialto Ripples, I Got Rhythm, Concerto in F, Happy Days Are Here Again.

Rhapsody in Blue

2008 Phantom Regiment- Spartacus

2007 Blue Devils- Winged Victory- Pegasus, Fantasy, The Ascension, Heaven

2006 The Cavaliers- MACHINE: Genesis, Wired, Premonition, The Machine Age

2005 The Cadets- The Zone: Dreamscapes in Four Parts with a Door

Twisted Nerve/ Liquid / Overture to a New World/ Cvalda/ Vertigo / False Mirrors

2004 The Cavaliers- 007: Selections from Goldeneye, Hovercraft (from Die Another Day), Welcome To Cuba, Paris and Bond (from Tomorrow Never Dies)

2003 Blue Devils- The Phenomenon Of Cool. Concierto de Aranjuez, Take Five, Blue Rondo A La Turk, Unsquare Dance

2002 The Cavaliers- Frameworks

2001 The Cavaliers- 4 Corners

2000 The Cadets- We are the Future: Music from Disney Millenium Celebration

2000 The Cavaliers- Niagra Falls

the only one that even approaches "Angry" is Phantom Regiment in 2008 but thats a stretch considering the way they presented it.