How many corps this year do you think would have a legitimate shot

After looking at everyone's prediction threads, it seems about 95% of the people posting think the gold medal will go to either Cadets or Cavaliers. So, if we are being completely honest, how many corps do you think would actually have a shot at winning this year?

Personally I think only the Cadets or Cavaliers have the show that could win this year. As much as I love Vanguard, and with Blue Devils history, I just don't see either one of them having a shot at this point.

So just curious, out of all the corps this year, who do you think has the potential to win it all this year?

Cavaliers

Cadets

Edited by Scout

Yes, I have seen the show 3 times in person. seems like judging from video is a mistake. I cannot understand how it can possibly do justice to any show... I stand by my statement earlier.

Okayyyy... so the cadets show is the easiest show you've seen? Interesting perspective... Truly interesting... :blink:

• Like 1

Well, the only corps that have shows that feel "special" (to me) are: Carolina Crown, Cavaliers, and Cadets. No surprise then that I think these are the only three corps that have a shot at winning it all. In fact, I will guarantee it will be one of these three corps that wins it all. Yup, I'm going on record right now to say that either Carolina Crown, Cavies, or Cadets will win it all this year. Of course, if I'm wrong , then so what? Whadaya gonna do about it? :tongue:

Nobody does August drum corps like The Cadets. Just sayin...

:devil:

Truth spoken! Especially in the years that they are "in the hunt". There's no doubt that Cavaliers are going to put up a good fight, though, and it'll be a great fight, both great shows! and yes, VERY different!

so exciting!

• Like 1

Let's say it ends up either of the main three many have guessed, for those who seriously compete to get the ring must be bummed out since it's only late June. I'm not into "we're just happy that we performed well" mantra. Sorry.

Yes, I have seen the show 3 times in person. seems like judging from video is a mistake. I cannot understand how it can possibly do justice to any show... I stand by my statement earlier.

Seriously, were you even watching the same corps I was? Please tell me you are joking. Their show is extremely difficult. You try to march at tempos above 180 for 8 minutes of an 11 minute show. You call that easy!? Seriously watch the videos of cadets and BD and time how much each of the corps stand still. BD's 4 minutes of "park and bark" standstill drill to the cadets having barely any standstill drill, except for their long sustains.

• Like 3

You know, I've just been thinking about how scoring works on scale of beginning season and end of season, and here is what I came up with.

In the early and mid stages of the season, that is up to about the 3rd week of July, corps' low scores (starting at 60-70 or so) have a lot to do with shows being dirty, both musically and visually. And I think that is why some corps are scoring higher than most people give their show credit for. I've read a lot of people saying Phantom's show just doesn't have what it takes to win, yet they are scoring in top 4 or 5. Yet, some are saying Bluecoats or Crown could be a dark horse for winning it, or at least taking a medal, yet they are, and I know it's all relative at this point, 6th and 7th.

Once a show gets cleaned up to the point where the members are pretty much performing it as accurately as they can, then it goes from, say, 80% of their score increased coming from cleaning up, to 20% of their score increased being cleaned up, and the other 80% coming from increases in GE pts gain, i.e. working on a new ending, or putting in some cooler effects, spicing up the show, etc.

Is this a commonly held belief? And is this what it means when someone's show "top's out"? For example, a show gets so clean visually and musically as the members can get it, and it still only scores 85 pts, yet another show can be just as clean but scoring 98pts?

Is this what it means that some shows are more championship worthy than others?

If so, then whose shows have the potential to win, and whose shows can only take them so far before they "top out" and start falling behind in rankings?

I guess this is what this particular thread is all about, but I'd like to know the criteria of what makes a show more worthy than another, because in the past two days, I've been involved in some drama on this forum pertaining to my opinion that a certain can only take such and such place.

As far as my opinions, I think the current Cadeviliers can all win it, but I think maybe one or two other corps might be able to catch up.

Oh - and if my assumptions are false, then does that mean that any show can win, it just depends on whose visuals and music are executed the best?

Meaning if say Pioneer or Cascades or someone else near the bottom can manage to get their visuals and music perfectly cleaned and executed, could they win with the shows they are doing this year?

Edited by BoyWonder1911

<As for easy, the cadet show is the easiest that I have seen in a long long time.>

That comment really smacks of one coming from someone who's never had to march faster than 'march' tempo. Velocity makes even an 'easy' form far more difficult. Velocity is, in itself, an example of high demand. That's why drum corps, by and large, perform 70% of their shows at or above 140 bpm -

I'm not a drill nut - I'm a horn dork - and even I...even in the movie house, could tell that Cadets have a whoppingly tough show...

And, to the topic at hand, the championship one - 60% chance

40% to Cavies -

• Like 1

Explain what's easy about it, please.