Phantom Regiment 2011 Shades of 96

After watching Phantom live 3 times and viewing the Stanford show at least 20 times. I'm starting to get a feel for the 96 championship run. More than a few, including myself have commented on the drill difficulty or lack there of as well as major improvements in their color guard. Even with the ease of the drill they are for the most part hitting their marks and sets. If I recall correctly the 96 show recieved the same type of reviews.

I've spent several hours focusing on just the color guard and in my opinion this is one of the best Phantom has ever had.

Any thoughts?

Its a nice show, but for me doesnt have the "wow" moment anywhere. Perhaps its yet to be revealed. I think the 96 corps had built in "HOLY SH**" moments from the beginning. Their visual may not have been a Cavaliers or Star of Indiana type visual, but it was certainly par with the top visual programs and marched with almost perfection by finals night.

This years corps again, its a very nice show but I dont know that it has that same power behind it as 1996, but that was one special corps. Especially Brass wise! This years color guard however is brilliant! Their brass is very strong as always and the percussion has proved many people wrong who thought they would just die out without the former percussion staff. Maybe they have some tricks we havent seen though! I look forward to seeing them completed in Allentown!

I think we are looking and demanding too much right now.

There are a lot of new faces in Phantom, starting with all the percussion members.

That, usually stops a corps dead in its tracks for a year or two while they 'rebuild'.

Instead I see a group that is learning and it is my hope that they just continue to learn at a steady pace.

There are going to be corps that are currently ranked above and below Phantom that will peak and stall.

I think we haven't come close to the potential this group of kids have this year.

To me, although I have not seen them in person for a while (will on 7/16 & 17!), I trust that the staff is challenging them with new ideas and seeing what the results are.

I dont think the final flow of the program is set.

Phantom is known for making lots of changes the last few weeks of the competition.

They are trying out parts that I believe will be arranged into a stunning Finals show.

....there's something waiting out there for us....we need wait and watch for it......

Shades of 1996?

Probably closer to that than anything in the last 10 years IMO.

Edited by rkfdPRphan
  • Like 1

I don’t know about that comparison

But what I have seen and heard of this show, I greatly enjoy.

Won’t know for sure until I see it live in a few weeks but Regiment is best when they are Regiment and this show seems to be very Regiment

I’m annoyed at all the talk about tempo and that a slower show can’t be a good scoring show. If true, we have greatly limited the corps and designers. I'd like Regiment to prove that wrong and so far they seem to being doing so as they are doing well. My opinion is this is their best show since 2008

still need to see where it goes though

• Like 1

Well, besides a much more expressive colorguard, we are finally seeing a visual program that doesnt have any major flaws or obstacles.....They will not spend the season catching up and going through re-writes. The drill is simply beautiful, slow, deliberate patterns, smooth, pronounced transitions, great integration of all sections.

The music is beautiful, full of dynamics and contrasts, slow parts, fast parts and the ever-classic "Elsas procession to the catheral" (Another shade of 79, where some source music from 96 also came....hmmm)

I see this show growing into a monster by seasons end, no telling how far they can go.

G