Music Dinosaurs Don't Want To Hear!

We have a thread for music people want to hear, so here's some that I don't think DCI Dinosaurs want to ever hear!

Honestly I'm open to any music, this is just an excuse to post somewhat odd contemporary music... which is totally awesome! :thumbup:

For those of you who constantly complain about "modern" or "contemporary" music, just remember it can always be "worse" :lol:

Dmaathen by Iannis Xenakis for Oboe & Percussion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuejWYcyhbE

...Complete with a visual tribute to the Eastern European Ice Fishermen of 1927!

• Like 1

Actually, the '95 Glassmen ripped off their arrangement of Martin Luther's ancient hymn "A Mighty Fortress is Our God'' from the vocal ensemble 'Glad.' That's the only choir music I can remember in DCI.

Cadets played that in 1972; it was the first half of our Peace Sign production. We formed the sign to that hymn, and then moved it forward to a theme from Mahler's 5th.

Workers Union- Louis Andriessen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP4vUcCquN8

This could actually be really awesome...

I wish you all would do 4:33 by John Cage...

Also, we've done some film scores in DCI history, but there are many good ones that remain to be performed. I've heard some people argue that the music appropriate for DCI is very finite. Well, if your imagination is finite you must be correct.

Check out this piece: My link

I agree....there are many areas of music to be explored....unfortunately many time corps keep drinking from the same wells...not sure why... :blink:

Definitely to much up-tempo stuff out there.....it's like drum corps on hyper drive setting.

I would like to hear more from popular or classic rock,

Although it is nice to see more rock related material on the field this season (Although I have not heard all of it yet). Crown (vairous), bluecoats (radio head) an BDB (Police)

Kind of a ramble but.....

And there have been more than a few negative stabs from folks out here regarding country music. Now I am by no means a country music fan...but it would be nice to here different sounds/styles out there. Maybe certain country music would sound incredible on the marching field...who knows. Some church hymn, merrengue, Calypso....these are just some. Now I am going really stick my neck out and say stuff from Yanni. Before everyone dismisses his stuff just listen to the complexities of rhythm, time signatures, styles......in his stuff. Certainly stuff for ballads as well. And of coarse movie sound tracks...a lot there as well.

Calypso

yanni

(Particularly 00:00 - 01:00

02:00 - 03:00

0:420 - 06:34 )

Edited by Triple Forte

I can’t tell you what I don’t want, but I certainly can tell you what I do. I want music with a melody. I just saw an interview with Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber. He talked about how important a strong melody is when writing for Broadway. That little string of notes that you’ll find yourself humming or whistling long after the performance is over. I want shows that tell a story, full of emotion. For the most part modern DC has been all about cramming notes and proving how physically fit the members are by running around the field at 160 bpm.

• Like 1

I can’t tell you what I don’t want, but I certainly can tell you what I do. I want music with a melody. I just saw an interview with Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber. He talked about how important a strong melody is when writing for Broadway. That little string of notes that you’ll find yourself humming or whistling long after the performance is over. I want shows that tell a story, full of emotion. For the most part modern DC has been all about cramming notes and proving how physically fit the members are by running around the field at 160 bpm.

Have you watched any of the shows this year?

At least on the west coast, there aren't any shows like that. (except MAYBE the Cadets)

I wish you all would do 4:33 by John Cage...

WHAT!?!?

Heresy... wash your fingers off with soap...

What's next?? Cadets playing Slaughter? Bluecoats playing La Suerta?? Phantom doing Bottle Dance???

One corps and one corps only can play 4'33"… and that, of course, is INT.