Riverside Review - Show Themes - BD and PR

The show should NEVER be in Riverside again. Not nearly enough space for everyone. Time to move the show somewhere else.

Right, because after several decades of a stable show being held there, they should change it just for you! tongue.gif

The solution is probably to have another show, which they have done with Walnut.

The staff thinks about it, why don't you?

I do think about it.

I just don't pretend that one staff's selections should garner their corps more points just because they have a "deeper" theme.

You also seem intent on ignoring the prospect of one corps just flat out-performing the other.

What then is the meaning behind the Bacharach tunes and why they selected them? (I can't wait to hear this.)

PS: Thanks for finding the one misspelling in my post--I know how to employ you now.

Thanks for the offer of employment, but I am not that good at typing myself. I was just joshin' you a little because I would think you would see the spelling errors from way up there on that high horse. :smile:

As for the meaning of BD's show, I don't feel the need to explain something just because somebody else doesn't like it. Nor do I think every show has to lend itself to a completely literal interpretation to be a good show. There a lots of ways to connect with an audience, communicating intellectually, emotionally, and/or on a purely sensory level. I don't think one is bad because it is missing something that makes another good in a different way.

It just seems you worked a little harder to like one show than the other. If you put that little effort into PR's show you might have quickly dismissed it as "dumb*ss teen girl offs herself over some dumb*ss teen boy." I do appreciate the effort you put into interpreting Juliet and your analysis is interesting, but I'm not sure there has to be one universal interpretation or that yours is it.

Right, because after several decades of a stable show being held there, they should change it just for you! tongue.gif

The solution is probably to have another show, which they have done with Walnut.

Not just for me- that's silly- but for all those who had to pay 10 bucks to watch it from the back- or from the sides- and even in the parking structure. How many of those were 1s timers? That would be a terrible experience.

You're joking because you can't defend the choice of Bacharach songs as meaningful. You can't.

I don't need to defend Bacharach songs as meaningful. Why must there be "meaning" as you narrowly define it? Why can't you just enjoy drum corps for what it is? Why search in vain for meaning that isn't there? When you watched cartoons as a child, did you look for meaning in why Wiley E. Coyote was constantly foiled in his attempt to catch Roadrunner?

That's why you're joking here, pretending that corps can be about nothing but vibrations and technique,...

I'm not joking because I can't defend the choice of Bacharach tunes as being "meaningful." I'm joking because I keep looking at my calendar to convince myself today is Independence Day and not April Fools' Day.

...when clearly this activity has gotten to the point of featuring universal themes, and you know it.

As for the activity "clearly" having "gotten to the point of featuring universal themes," that is what you are choosing to read into it. I would argue, then, that if Blue Devils are going against the grain of offering a universal theme, then that makes them mold breakers and therefore defines them as true innovators, wilingl to take the activity where no one else is taking it. It's taken you to make me aware that BD, through their ignoring of a universal theme, is fighting the status quo and dragging us kicking and screaming into a new era of enlightenment where universal themes are passé and entertainment is king (and queen, considering the two shows you initially described are about women).

Blue Devils are then, consequently, daring the judges to not give them the score based on the lack of a universal theme as you perceive it to be necessary. That is audacious and rebellious. At any moment, the CIA (Corps Incorruptibility Alliance) could swoop down on the corps as it's on the field and cart them away for daring to disturb the meaningfulness of universal themes.

You're old.

I'm old? Is that supposed to be an insult? Is it bad to be over a certain age? Should I be put out of my misery? Should I donate my body to science so researchers can explore my brain and try to figure out how I could possibly have believed that entertainment was a worthwhile achievement in drum corps?

I prefer to think that I'm seasoned from having sat through 36 seasons of drum corps, giving me perspective and granting me enlightenment. I have a young outlook on corps shows being able to be whatever the corps want them to be, whether or not they hold universal meaning as you perceive it. You're the one who seems to be hung up on a preconceived notion of what drum corps themes must deliver upon. I would have to say that makes you old. Would you like me to send you some Metamucil?

Come on, step up to the plate, here.

If I can keep hitting your arguments out of the park, I'd be delighted to step up to the plate as often as necessary. Maybe I am old, but I can still swing a persuasive argument.

Nope, it's still not April Fools' Day.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 9

Are you two actually insulting one-another?? There is plenty of room for that on college football forums...

Are you two actually insulting one-another?? There is plenty of room for that on college football forums...

No, we're having an enlightened exchange of ideas, principles and philosophies.

It just sounds like we're insulting one another because we both believe in what we're stating. The only difference in our approaches is that I'm right. :ph34r:

Enjoy the drama. Now that "hurry, June" is no longer applicable, we've got to do something else that's entertaining to get us through to the next show that comes to a city near us.

• Like 1

Not just for me- that's silly- but for all those who had to pay 10 bucks to watch it from the back- or from the sides- and even in the parking structure. How many of those were 1s timers? That would be a terrible experience.

Would most Southern Californians fans prefer an Orange County site...where it is 20 degrees cooler...Like Long Beach City College, Orange Coast College....the newly renovated Huntington Beach HS stadium?

There is something about the 91 and the Inland Empire... I think those that live in Orange County think of it like a fly over region. They really only see it on the way to Palm Springs, or a little bit when they are going to Vegas. On the way to work every morning, it is always everyone going the other way to the OC rather than anyone coming to the IE,....My sister and my girlfriend at the time who lived in Garden Grove would not come see me perform...3 reasons....1. 91 Freeway 2. 100 degrees in the summer 3. She doesn't know drum corps to well....and those reasons are in that order. Long beach shows....they were all over it. My biggest fans in the crowd.

Hence to those who live on the other side of the "mountain" in the OC, or in LA...I can see why they might hate coming out to Riverside for a show. It's not the most ideal place for a show...but it has some history, and a solid 30 years or so behind it. It wasn't my favorite show to march, nor be a fan at...but It has legs with people who look forward to it every year.

Has RCC Stadium become something of a traditional place for corps over the years? Maybe.

Back on topic....People seem to write papers on drum corps a lot for college classes. This might be a good analyze,....and bring about 40 people or so, or however many people in that classroom into the activity.

Edited by Dmlkmen