What states should have a drum corps?

Recently I was sitting around and reflecting on the story of the Academy and how they came to be and a great inquiry arose...

Part of the story I heard was Mark Richardson met with fellow drum corps fanatics to talk about starting a drum corps in the greater Phoenix area. Some of the questions that came of this meeting was generally something like this: 'Why does Phoenix (the 5th largest city in the US) not have a drum corps? Why do music students in Phoenix have to travel out of state to obtain such an experience?'. I kind of got to thinking about other states that now have a similar situation. For example, New York has a reputation for being one of the best states for music education but yields no drum corps (then again you have to consider that the east coast has quite a few of them, but still...). New York City is also the most populated city in the US. Or even a state like Utah where it is beautiful in the summer! Also, the ammount of Mormon families in the state could help with sustainability. Though it may be a generalization, Mormon families always seem to support their youth's activities to the bitter end. These are just two completely random examples.

So all this left me with this question: What states (or cities) do you feel should have a drum corps that currently do not have one?

Opinion away...

Louisiana needs a drum corps again! We used to actually have a pretty serious one called the Bleu Raeders back in the late 70's and they made finals a couple times if I'm not mistaken. Old Marty Hurley kicking dci drumline ### back then before he was kicking my high school's drumline's ###. But I don't need to tell some of you drum corps dinosaurs that.

I'd love to see my home state of Indiana have a drum corps...officially, that is.

• Like 1

^ yeah, it was a shame that Star left the circuit. Blast is/was good, but I think they probably could have kept the drum corps at the same time.

What would a drum corps from Utah be called?

I'd like to see Michigan have one, but there are many options for us Michiganders to go to. We are surrounded by drum corps states.

Also think Texas could support another one, but it's so hot down there. Same with Phoenix too, don't know how they do band camp when it's 100 degrees + every day.

The Minnesota area might could support one, but Blue Stars and Scouts are just across the river.

How about Alaska? They could be called the Oilmen, and the crowd could chant Drill! Drill! Drill! when they come out onto the field.

But seriously, I'd like to see more foreign corps in the activity. It would be really cool to see one come to the US and make Finals. I don't think Kiwanis Kavs ever made finals, but they put out a couple of decent shows.

• Like 3

^ yeah, it was a shame that Star left the circuit. Blast is/was good, but I think they probably could have kept the drum corps at the same time.

What would a drum corps from Utah be called?

I'd like to see Michigan have one, but there are many options for us Michiganders to go to. We are surrounded by drum corps states.

Also think Texas could support another one, but it's so hot down there. Same with Phoenix too, don't know how they do band camp when it's 100 degrees + every day.

The Minnesota area might could support one, but Blue Stars and Scouts are just across the river.

How about Alaska? They could be called the Oilmen, and the crowd could chant Drill! Drill! Drill! when they come out onto the field.

But seriously, I'd like to see more foreign corps in the activity. It would be really cool to see one come to the US and make Finals. I don't think Kiwanis Kavs ever made finals, but they put out a couple of decent shows.

hahahaha

Doesn't Michigan already have a drum corp? Isn't Legends from Kalamazoo?

• Like 3

Doesn't Michigan already have a drum corps? Isn't Legends from Kalamazoo?

Shhhhhh. The members haven't been told that yet.

• Like 1

I'd love to see my home state of Indiana have a drum corps...officially, that is.

I think since we house both Madison, and Blue Stars, we have 1/2 of each corps, so using 2nd grade math. (1/2+1/2=1) we have 1 drum corps in Indiana.

• Like 2

Minnesota could easily support a DCI corps. We already have three successful DCA corps. :thumbup:

Edited by scsudrummer
  • Like 1

Doesn't Michigan already have a drum corp? Isn't Legends from Kalamazoo?

Yeah, but they're only Open Class.

• Like 1