What states should have a drum corps?

Strange things happen when you mention Las Vegas and drum corps in the same sentence.

The absolute strangest probably being when Vegas hosted the 1962 American Legion Nationals.

Believe it or not, there was some discussion about doing an atomic bomb test to open the evening of the Legion finals..... (won by Garfield and Hawthorne Cabs.)

Needless to say, that "exciting" idea didn't come to fruition.

I'm ok with fireworks before and after shows. But I got to tell you, I draw the line when it comes to a nuclear bomb being set off outside the stadium by any show sponsor. I can see having my face peeled of at a show. But this ain't it.

Being from the STL area, I always was amazed that this area didn't have a strong drum corps. I know the STL area has sent lots of kids to corps around the country. I sincerely wish Momentum from Columbia, MO the best of luck.......but I guess I am kind of old school- the new corps names that come around are not too appealing to me.

Edited by The Dog

, New York has a reputation for being one of the best states for music education but yields no drum corps (then again you have to consider that the east coast has quite a few of them, but still...). New York City is also the most populated city in the US.

Opinion away...

I think David Gibbs should consider starting a Corps for New York City.

Much like we once had a Corps called " the Star of Indiana ",Gibbs could even appropriately call his Corps " The Star of David ".

Edited by BRASSO

Yeah, those corps that were/are Open Class should just dry up and blow away. Corps like:

- Carolina Crown

- Blue Stars

- The Academy

- Teal Sound

- Mandarins

- Jersey Surf

- Cascades

- Pioneer

:thumbdown:

And Pacific Crest. They used to be Open Class for a very long time as well(Div 2/3).

For example, New York has a reputation for being one of the best states for music education but yields no drum corps (then again you have to consider that the east coast has quite a few of them, but still...). New York City is also the most populated city in the US.

One big problem in NY is that the schools do not let out until the very end of June. This makes developing a WC corps in that state very difficult since anyone not already out of HS is not going to be able to do spring training until very late June, already a week or two into the show schedule.

Idaho doesn't have a drum corps either. Or Virginia. Well, as far as I know.