What states should have a drum corps?

So all this left me with this question: What states (or cities) do you feel should have a drum corps that currently do not have one?

Every.

Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Missouri are all states with thriving high school music programs that don't current have a World Class corps (nor Open?)

Two BOA finals-type bands, and a couple other strong programs. Not to mention some smaller school regional BOA competitors. Solid music program at the University of Oklahoma. And a decent history in the last 20-25 years with Black Gold, both the drum corps and the winter guard group.

Idaho doesn't have a drum corps either. Or Virginia. Well, as far as I know.

In the drumcorps fertile land of Virginia there is only one DCA corps, Shenandoah Sound and no DCI corps. It has always been a mystery to me why there have been failed attempts to start on in Virginia and many people go out of state to participate in drumcorps. I'm not holding it against them but it sure would be easier if you did not have to commute 3-5 hours or fly to go to practice. Just saying!

Apparently some people in Missouri are on the path of doing this very thing "in a correct manner". Read the whole six page article; especially about their timetable for fielding a corps and their financial growth plan.

http://www.high-velocity-media.com/Magazines/premiere_issue/premiere_issue_mobile.php?page=70

:thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Please support these guys if you have any interest in building a Missouri drum corps:

http://momentumdrumcorps.org/

http://momentumdrumcorps.org/donations.aspx

In the drumcorps fertile land of Virginia there is only one DCA corps, Shenandoah Sound and no DCI corps. It has always been a mystery to me why there have been failed attempts to start on in Virginia and many people go out of state to participate in drumcorps. I'm not holding it against them but it sure would be easier if you did not have to commute 3-5 hours or fly to go to practice. Just saying!

well on the commute issue, in Northern Virginia you could have a 3-5 hour commute to practice and only be comeing from Baltimore. Traffic around DC sucks.

I always thought Richmond would be a great place to start a corps. You're only a short drive south of the NOVA/DC area, access from UVA & Virginia Tech is convenient, you have all of southern VA and northern NC within easy driving distance. Plus you also have James Madison and George Mason university both within 2 hours of richmond.

Edited by bluecoats88

I had no idea there was a senior corps here. What was their name?

I'm fairly certain the corps came about after the city hosted the 1962 Legion Nationals.

Despite the drum corps periodicals of the day trying to hang a nickname on the corps,

(I have seen the names Roulettes and Gamblers tossed around) I think they were basically known as

the Las Vegas American Legion Drum & Bugle Corps.

They functioned almost exclusively at times OTHER THAN SUMMER. (Good idea when you're from Vegas.)

I'll also say North Carolina needs a WC corps again, also Maryland as well !! Lots o history in Maryland why not call them - The Colonials!

Wes P

I'll also say North Carolina needs a WC corps again, also Maryland as well !! Lots o history in Maryland why not call them - The Colonials!

Wes P

Fort Mill is virtually on the border of North and South Carolina. Crown is pretty evenly split between the two states.

Louisiana needs a drum corps again! We used to actually have a pretty serious one called the Bleu Raeders back in the late 70's and they made finals a couple times if I'm not mistaken. Old Marty Hurley kicking dci drumline ### back then before he was kicking my high school's drumline's ###. But I don't need to tell some of you drum corps dinosaurs that.

Wow, and yet you left out Moe Latour ?

Start with The Crescent City Cadets / Southernairs back in the 50's and early 60's that turned into the Masquaraders / Crescent City Rebels / Stardusters

In the late 60's it was Southern Rebels / Masquraders / Stardusters

In 72 the Blue Raeders were formed and harvested members from the other three and went on to place in finals at the first DCI. However, as this was the first experiment in a BoD run corps as opposed to a one man show, many good people like Moe Latour and Marty Hurley left for other DCI corps where people with the heart for competition were running the corps. During this same time period, the Golden Shields came into being as a youth group of the NOPD but never made it to the field for competition. Of course there was also the parade corps that was associated with Prytania school but was really nothing more than a winter guard and parade corps.

Of course Stardusters and Bleu Raeders merged for 74 and were called Regiment Militare until splitting again for the 75 season.

Southernairs reemerged to take DCI calss A championships in 81 ? 82 ? I can't remember.

Later Expressions emerged out of Hammond Louiaiana and lasted for a few years.

For a time, large groups of kids from Louisiana marched Blue Stars,Phantom, Cadets and later Troopers ( as well as many individual kids marching in almost every marjor corps.

Louisiana and New Orleans has a rich history in drum corps and to think at one point there were five active corps in New Orleans.

The biggest problem with drum corps in this area is politics, heat and humidity.