Scouts Guard Instructor, please…

Brothers, don't even take the bait on this one.

• Like 8

I was lucky enough to see the Madison Scouts at three shows this past weekend (Quincy & Lynn, MA and Bristol, RI). Unfortunately, the experience was less enjoyable than it could have been because an instructor for their guard was sitting in the aisle nearby clapping loudly and screaming “encouraging” remarks.

Now if he had done this when the rest of the audience applauded (or immediately thereafter) it would not be a problem. But these loud outbursts (before whatever he was yelling about was going to happen) were during times when you wanted to hear the corps and not a screaming instructor. For example, when the 6 or so guard members moved up the 50 yard line to do a saber feature, he YELLED “Go sabers!!!” There was not another sound coming from the audience as we all were trying to enjoy what the Scouts were playing. These outbursts of clapping and screaming at odd times continued throughout all three performances.

It’s bad enough that we have to deal with immature fans yelling during finals to try to get on the recording, now we have to put up with insensitive instructors ruining our listening experience. Please tell this guy to clam up and let us hear the show!!!

From a review I read, it seems like some other Madison instructors/designers were sitting in the aisle on the other side of the stadium explaining what different aspects of the show signified – also inappropriate. What has happened to the class act that Madison’s staff was always known to be? And what happened to Madison’s show designs that didn’t require explaining – why did the staff think it needed to do this? One example might be how almost nobody in the audience all three nights reacted to the 911 “moment” and clearly didn’t know why the corps was staring off above the stadium and then crawling, etc. to the sidelines.

Your show is very entertaining even if we don’t fully “get it” – so just let us enjoy it and please stop explaining and screaming during the performances. Or if you want to yell encouraging remarks during the performance, stay just below the stands where they let staff watch at the edge of the field so that only the corps hears your outbursts.

:doh:

• Like 2

Brothers, don't even take the bait on this one.

Nothing to see here... :tongue:

• Like 2

This quite frankly has been noted several times over the years regarding staff members from NUMEROUS corps.

• Like 2

I was lucky enough to see the Madison Scouts at three shows this past weekend (Quincy & Lynn, MA and Bristol, RI). Unfortunately, the experience was less enjoyable than it could have been because an instructor for their guard was sitting in the aisle nearby clapping loudly and screaming "encouraging" remarks.

Now if he had done this when the rest of the audience applauded (or immediately thereafter) it would not be a problem. But these loud outbursts (before whatever he was yelling about was going to happen) were during times when you wanted to hear the corps and not a screaming instructor. For example, when the 6 or so guard members moved up the 50 yard line to do a saber feature, he YELLED "Go sabers!!!" There was not another sound coming from the audience as we all were trying to enjoy what the Scouts were playing. These outbursts of clapping and screaming at odd times continued throughout all three performances.

It's bad enough that we have to deal with immature fans yelling during finals to try to get on the recording, now we have to put up with insensitive instructors ruining our listening experience. Please tell this guy to clam up and let us hear the show!!!

From a review I read, it seems like some other Madison instructors/designers were sitting in the aisle on the other side of the stadium explaining what different aspects of the show signified – also inappropriate. What has happened to the class act that Madison's staff was always known to be? And what happened to Madison's show designs that didn't require explaining – why did the staff think it needed to do this? One example might be how almost nobody in the audience all three nights reacted to the 911 "moment" and clearly didn't know why the corps was staring off above the stadium and then crawling, etc. to the sidelines.

Your show is very entertaining even if we don't fully "get it" – so just let us enjoy it and please stop explaining and screaming during the performances. Or if you want to yell encouraging remarks during the performance, stay just below the stands where they let staff watch at the edge of the field so that only the corps hears your outbursts.

:doh::thumbdown:

• Like 1

He might be trolling, but, if instructors are in the stands yelling out during the corps performance, then that is inappropriate. I have experienced the same thing with many different corps and there is little more annoying during a show. The OP might have been better served by starting a thread that discusses instructor behavior during shows and not personalized it by calling out a specific corps. There is value in the discussion.

• Like 1

I can understand the frustration--

I was at a show a few weeks ago and blue stars, bluecoats, and cavaliers staff all came and stood directly behind me at the top of the stadium and didn't make a sound other than regular applause-- (just to say- no, it's not universal)

A few of the staff from the earlier groups that night weren't as quiet, but I can't recall specifically which groups so I won't say