Drums Along The Rockies

Daughter said tonight's PR rum was f'n phenomenal, especially compared to last night when they pooped themselves on the field. I thought there was some fire in this run that I haven't seen all year.

The jury is still out on SCV - I am a fan, but I really thought Phantom had them beaten in a lot of the captions by much bigger spreads. PR performed tonight. SCV's program...... after watching it a few more times, I don't think it's as good as everyone's made it out to be design-wise. Tonight, it was downright ragged execution-wise.

I'm not slamming SCV - I want EVERY corps to perform at the top of their game. I just don't see the design being as strong as I thought it was. Faster doesn't always mean better.

PR show is really, really cute.

SCV show is not cute at all but is at least on par with PR's design. At least on par.

Hahaha Cadet's beating BD in brass is a judging travesty. What the hell.

Honestly, I could not really hear the Cadet's brass (or really BD's for that matter) on the webcast for all the electronic goo.

I'm pretty sure you're hearing the "feed" audio and it's much different in the stands.....which applies to all the similar comments about previous corps audio. Just sayin'

I was at the show tonight - side 1, 30 yard line about 25 rows up - and the amplification was overpowering most corps tonight, especially evident in The Cadets synth bass which completely blew the corps away. I don't think it was your audio feed that was the problem but extremely poor balance on the mixing board.

PR show is really, really cute.

SCV show is not cute at all but is at least on par with PR's design. At least on par.

Cute in a puppy dog/kitty cat/bunny wabbit sort of way? (Not sure that's what the design team was going for.) :shutup:

2001 Phantom Regiment. 1996 Phantom Regiment. 1989 Phantom Regiment.

Feet were all light years better than this corps.

Okay... you got me... but it is early in the season... and right now I see more consistent technique across the whole ensemble compared to at least 2001 (just went back and watched, I love that show!). Right now there is some phasing still... but it isn't nearly as bad as past seasons, or other corps around them right now. But I can't debate 89 especially.

...but the corps participating are FROM the West coast, hence it being a big day for West coast folks! thumbup.giftongue.gif

What is Tempe on the West Coast of? Allentown? Rockford? Denver?

When I first heard BD was doing Burt Bacharach, I thought uh-oh, this could be a mistake. When I first saw them live, I thought this IS a mistake. I saw them live 3 times. This show was bland elevator music. This show was really lame. No high points. As of tonight, they have tried to spice it up, at least a little. It does suck less. I spoke to one of the top 5 directors about 2 1/2 weeks ago about BD's show. He basically said that yes it was elevator music with some jazz runs thrown in. And that the audience doesn't get the building the house (is not a home) thing. I thought to myself, it can't that bad. Then, when I saw them for the first time live, i realized it was that bad. It's a shame, because I really liked their show the last 2 years. If BD doesn't win this year, it will be because of the Bacharach theme and Wayne Downey's arrangements, i.e. tonight, they were .5 behind cadets in GE music. How much did they lose the show by? About 5 tenths. Wayne Downey has had lot of great years. But, I think he's losing it. Who picked the Bacharach theme? He (they) needs to go. Maybe it's time to get some fresh blood in there next year. As for salvaging this year, maybe they should dump the entire show in the middle of the season, like Madison did in 76. They almost pulled it off.

• Like 4

Daughter said tonight's PR rum was f'n phenomenal, especially compared to last night when they pooped themselves on the field. I thought there was some fire in this run that I haven't seen all year.

The jury is still out on SCV - I am a fan, but I really thought Phantom had them beaten in a lot of the captions by much bigger spreads. PR performed tonight. SCV's program...... after watching it a few more times, I don't think it's as good as everyone's made it out to be design-wise. Tonight, it was downright ragged execution-wise.

I'm not slamming SCV - I want EVERY corps to perform at the top of their game. I just don't see the design being as strong as I thought it was. Faster doesn't always mean better.

I thought SCV looked really good tonight.....and continues to improve with each show! I think their drill is amazing and the show design is riveting. I very much enjoy Phantom's Juliet. Love the music and love the guard! But, honestly I find myself, more and more doing this..... :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:. Where as SCV grabs me with it's intensity and makes me :worthy::worthy::worthy: Execution is improving..... and, (much as I like Juliet), I believe SCV will catch, and pass PR.

• Like 4

When I first heard BD was doing Burt Bacharach, I thought uh-oh, this could be a mistake. When I first saw them live, I thought this IS a mistake. I saw them live 3 times. This show was bland elevator music. This show was really lame. No high points. As of tonight, they have tried to spice it up, at least a little. It does suck less. I spoke to one of the top 5 directors about 2 1/2 weeks ago about BD's show. He basically said that yes it was elevator music with some jazz runs thrown in. And that the audience doesn't get the building the house (is not a home) thing. I thought to myself, it can't that bad. Then, when I saw them for the first time live, i realized it was that bad. It's a shame, because I really liked their show the last 2 years. If BD doesn't win this year, it will be because of the Bacharach theme and Wayne Downey's arrangements, i.e. tonight, they were .5 behind cadets in GE music. How much did they lose the show by? About 5 tenths. Wayne Downey has had lot of great years. But, I think he's losing it. Who picked the Bacharach theme? He (they) needs to go. Maybe it's time to get some fresh blood in there next year. As for salvaging this year, maybe they should dump the entire show in the middle of the season, like Madison did in 76. They almost pulled it off.

This show does nothing for me. If they think there are jazz runs thrown in he should go to their archives and pull out their 2002 show, "Jazz Music Made in America" that was a great show, that was jazz, that was talent.