Blue Devils 2011 show is elevator music?

You make too much sense to be allowed on DCP. :tongue::cool:

You too, Michael. Have you ever considered doing some journalistic work re/drum corps?

:tongue:

Ah, so the official definition of "crap" is now a simple majority. I did not realize that.

works in politics :tongue:

(Been wanting to engage you since I love it so! tongue.gif)

See, here is where that condescending tone of superiority comes streaming out of BD honks, Plan. I'm no Bacharach, but I've listened to a few drum corps shows in my life, so the connotation is that I'm too...<something!> to be able to figure out BD's high-brow presentation is condescending and a little insulting. I don't claim to know all music - at all - but I can piece together musical pictures on par with most music buffs. And I understand phrasing and nuance, too. Why don't I get it?

OK, knowing that I'm not a BB expert I went back and listened to all the source music again for all of their pieces. Then I re-watched the Walnut, CA show.

While I heard phrases and melodies that I could now recognize, I then tried to focus on the field to connect the tunes with the presentation to see this magical mystery picture you claim would tie it all together and take me on a journey. It was tough. I heard some lush opening notes and a few toe-tapping moments, but I didn't come away say "Oh, now I get it!" And no "journey". Why not? (More comments below)

My real question is: What's the big mystery? OK, I can admit that the show eludes me, and I'm probably a BB numbskull. But why doesn't someone from the enlightened BD-honks group speak up and tell me the story so I can, at least, enjoy it from here? Instead of "It is what it is" and "either you get it or you don't", how about someone tell us what we're missing so we all can enjoy the show?

If it's easy for you to say you "get it", it should be easy for you to tell me what I'm missing, eh?

(Additional comments: Their drum line is SICK! Good God, if that's a mid-July book then the whole field better watch out in August. Ditto the guard, as usual. The kids work like made, the flow of the guard around the corps, and their execution while in block is (nearly) perfect. The colors and textures of the guard are top-notch. Horns, yea, definitely some power there again. And I did hear much more pleasing tones than last year. I tapped my foot several times and said "Wow!" a couple of times. I enjoyed the GE with the poles and their bases, and the angular "steps" they created. I thought the corps floated through and around the props very effectively. This is the most enjoyable BD show I've seen in 3 years even if I don't get the "picture" that Plan9 gets. And I'm no BD honk, that's for sure.)

[/quote/]

Hey G,

Well in the simplest terms (not you...the terms....pay attention! :rolleyes: ), it wasn't meant to condescend or create an elitest tone. What I meant to say is that there is no need to over analyze the 2011 BD show. There are some 3D type visuals on the field, some typical BD guard toys, a house or parts of a house scattered around and then we wander through a wonderful cross-section of BB's works. No enduring message other than "a house is just a house, until the things that make it a home are present." And is there any song more benign then "wives and lovers"? Come on! No need ot overthink to get it, just like Cavies and CC's shows this year, a visual romp. No magical mystery picture to see....just some of pop americana's best melodies (and more thtan a few memories for some of us), great marching, lush music that resolves and kind of a beginning and end. What does it matter? Who cares!

Just like COG, Kenton suggested: "You're not supposed to understand it, you experience it with your subconscious." If the oldsters would have listened to BD10 they would have heard many old BD classic refrains splashed across the program, weaved into it, reflected and then distorted, like images you see as you look up at the skyscrapers (ie COG). Laura was the reward for taking the ride and in the end the grounding in its brief reprise.

Now, tell me what Cavies and CC's shows are about this year. Come on tell me! Quick! :rolleyes: To me they're just great visuals and great music, a little insanity (like BD08) but nothing designed to leave you some kind of conclusion. A little like Rock & Roll.

So when I say "get it", it's like saying "don't fight it, just experience it".....and leave the redeeming stuff to PR. :tongue:

the show still needs ty Pennington

You make too much sense to be allowed on DCP. :tongue::cool:

Well...... now I know what it's like to be complimented and "unfriended" at the same time! :rolleyes:

Edited by Plan9

Hey G,

Well in the simplest terms (not you...the terms....pay attention! :rolleyes: ), it wasn't meant to condescend or create an elitest tone. What I meant to say is that there is no need to over analyze the 2011 BD show. There are some 3D type visuals on the field, some typical BD guard toys, a house or parts of a house scattered around and then we wander through a wonderful cross-section of BB's works. No enduring message other than "a house is just a house, until the things that make it a home are present." And is there any song more benign then "wives and lovers"? Come on! No need ot overthink to get it, just like Cavies and CC's shows this year, a visual romp. No magical mystery picture to see....just some of pop americana's best melodies (and more thtan a few memories for some of us), great marching, lush music that resolves and kind of a beginning and end. What does it matter? Who cares!

Just like COG, Kenton suggested: "You're not supposed to understand it, you experience it with your subconscious." If the oldsters would have listened to BD10 they would have heard many old BD classic refrains splashed across the program, weaved into it, reflected and then distorted, like images you see as you look up at the skyscrapers (ie COG). Laura was the reward for taking the ride and in the end the grounding in its brief reprise.

Now, tell me what Cavies and CC's shows are about this year. Come on tell me! Quick! :rolleyes: To me they're just great visuals and great music, a little insanity (like BD08) but nothing designed to leave you some kind of conclusion. A little like Rock & Roll.

So when I say "get it", it's like saying "don't fight it, just experience it".....and leave the redeeming stuff to PR. :tongue:

(psst- Hey Plan, just put the slash at the front of the word quote. It works better. tongue.gif)

Now, ya' see? That wasn't that hard, was it? I was working way too hard; all that absurdity of glass and stuff, ya' know.rolleyes.gif

Now I can watch with a different viewpoint instead of the feeling that I'm too flat-headed to figure it out.

I'm expecting a different experience now when I re-watch Walnut, and I'll be able to smile a little when I see them live.

Oh, and if I can ask the favor? Maybe next year send me a synopsis of the show around March or so...

Thanks Plan, I'll enjoy my next viewing a little more maybe.

So I am just curious, if a person has been more exposed to music that is very "out there" would that person be more likely to enjoy and appreciate the 2010 BD music?

Maybe more likely, but as someone who thoroughly enjoys Webern and Ligeti and Ives and Schoenberg and Michael Gordon and Duckworth and early years Philip Glass and quite a lot of Cage and has performed lots of similar works... I didn't really care for BD 2010. Well, I like it a lot up through Laura, but then I have to turn it off.

• Like 1

You too, Michael. Have you ever considered doing some journalistic work re/drum corps?

:tongue:

I'm not allowed to claim that I'm a journalist. I did once and Walter Cronkite showed up at my door and slapped me silly.

• Like 2

Well...... now I know what it's like to be complimented and "unfriended" at the same time! :rolleyes:

Welcome to the exclusive club!

I'm not allowed to claim that I'm a journalist. I did once and Walter Cronkite showed up at my door and slapped me silly.

Walter Cronkite passed away two years ago. I hope he didn't rise from his grave to slap you silly!

And is there any song more benign then "Wives and Lovers"?

I love the tune, and enjoyed the Jack Jones version many times on the radio growing up (in the '80s, on a nostalgia station), but the lyrics to "Wives and Lovers" have come to be viewed as a bit sexist: "Don't send him off with your hair still in curlers / You may not see him again"? And yes, I know that several women recorded the song, too.