Wherefore art thou, G8?

Actually, Premier League teams split league and TV money based on number of appearances, final standings, etc. Those tnat are successful and are on every week (ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal) receive far more money from "the system" than do the other clubs. Money they spend to upgrade talent, which gives them advantages towards keeping a top 4 spot... sound familiar?

On the flip side, teams like Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal all have a world-wide following that is unmatched in sports: Man U for sure has FAR more fans than The Yankees, Cowboys, etc have world wide. And those four teams are the vast reason why American fans watch Fox Soccer EPL games, and most of the revenue of the EPL comes from fans/supporters of those 'Big Four' teams...sound familiar?

Or how about La Liga in Spain, where the two two clubs - Barcelona and Real Madrid - threatened to bolt the entire league and start their own circuit because the other 18 clubs had the temerity to demand that TV money be split equally amongst all the clubs? Ultimately the top two got what they wanted. (Same thing is happening right now in Scottish Football - Celtic and Rangers are fighting any attempts to level the playing field.)

Yeah, the two most wildly successful teams, who generate FAR more revenue (and spend far more developing talent) than just about all of the other La Liga teams combined wanted to be compensated on a merit-baed type of way: they felt as though they do the "heavy lifting," bring in world-wide viewers (Real Madrid is playing in both LA and San Diego in the next eight days, nearly selling out the San Diego Chargers 80,000ish stadium), and thus should get a larger share of the TV revenue (especially considering the fact that it is rare/nonexistent that a La Liga game is broadcast in the US that isn't Real Madrid or Barcelona).

While such actions are not exactly along the lines of solidarity, you can't blame the most successful teams (and corps), who generate the most income and bring in the most fans, for wanting to make more money. It's unfortunate to other less-achieving teams (corps), but there is NOTHING stopping other teams (corps) from finding a revenue stream and building a successful team (corps). In the EPL look at coach Brian Clough who took a bottom-feeding Second Division Derby County and turned them into EPL Premier League Champions after only a few season. He went on to do similar with Nottingham Forest, turning a second division team into 2-time European Champions (the past incarnation of Champions League).

Back to drum corps, Star of Indiana went from nonexistent to DCI Champions in just 6 season! Obviously it's rare to find a billionaire donor to support a corps, there are other ways for corps to build a successful organization (such as Bluecoats and Crown, gong from non-finalist one decade to Top-3 next decade).

Replying to your Topic name question, the "G8" is on a football field near you doing just fine this season, with no non-G8 corps threatening to come close to competing for a DCI Championship. There are a LOT of great drum corps shows this year from last year's Top-8 corps and I'm excited to watch them weekly via FN and see how shows develop.

As for Madison, I'm sure their placement has little to do what happens next year with the non-DCI show experiment: instead it's all about money. If the G8 shows are successful, I'm sure they'll continue. If not, they probably won't. Either way, Madison will have little to factor into the equation. I don't know if there are any rules about consistency for G8 participation: if so, Scouts may have to prove their competitive staying power, as this year's G8 corps have been pretty consistent with their Top 8 placements over the years (Madison may beat Blue Stars this year, but Blue Stars have been Top 8 for the three previous years while Madison have not even been a Finalist corps 2 of the last 4 seasons). If there are no consistency requirements to participate in G8 shows, then it would be nothing but beneficial for ALL involved to see Madison have some extra performance opportunities.

I beg to differ. It would be beneficial if no such organized Group Slotting System took place within the World Class Division in the first place, imo. It is inherently divisive, thoroughly unfair to the concept of fair competition, and frankly would never be found instituted in any competitive sport in the world. The notion that what one did in competition in a given year would advantage one the FOLLOWING year with an announced advantage to the public, future campers, and competitors itself is both unseemly and portends a rigged system that benefits a few at the expense of the others. I hope the concept of a" G8" falls apart. I think if it did, it would be a most positive thing for the future health of the activity as a whole, and provide us MORE unpredictability and upward mobility opportunities for more Corps. I will go so far to state that no person who truly values a level playing field in the World Class Division can support such a terrible slotted system... whether it is a G4, G6, or a G12. I will fight it tooth and nail. And hope others do too.

If this GROUP SLOTTING SYSTEM is sooooo unfair then please do tell me how Madison has already beaten one of them? Also please explein if there is a lack of fairness built into this GROUP SLOTTING SYSTEM when it is considered that the top 3 or 4 have been jumbled quite a bit. It seems to me that it only took until June to disprove all your TOC haters out there... I see all upside and little downside as there will be a whole new kind of show out there and the group OBVIOUSLY will morph from year to year for these new concept shows! I like it and will do all I can to help it advance... In fact I believe we have more parody in the top 17 this season than in any in recent memory!

edited cause I can't spell when I am ranting

Edited by Big Bad Bari
  • Like 2

If this GROUP SLOTTING SYSTEM is sooooo unfair then please do tell me how Madison has already beaten one of them? Also please explein if there is a lack of fairness built into this GROUP SLOTTING SYSTEM when it is considered that the top 3 or 4 have been jumbled quite a bit. It seems to me that it only took until June to disprove all your TOC haters out there... I see all upside and little downside as there will be a whole new kind of show out there and the group OBVIOUSLY will morph from year to year for these new concept shows! I like it and will do all I can to help it advance... In fact I believe we have more parody in the top 17 this season than in any in recent memory!

edited cause I can't spell when I am ranting

Agree. Anyone opposed to the TOC is a hypocrite if they're not also categorically opposed to top 12, which gives every corps making finals the exact same advantages he applied to the top 8 compared to the rest of the field. Perennial top 12 finishing corps have always enjoyed a significant advantage over the rest.

• Like 2

In fact I believe we have more parody in the top 17 this season than in any in recent memory!

We haven't had parody since VK dropped from Finals. :smile:

(But yes, I agree with your point; those who cry about "elitism" for non G8 corps seem to forget that there's already a pecking order in the activity based on placement, and those in the top half have big advantages over those in the bottom half.)

Edited by mobrien

Agree. Anyone opposed to the TOC is a hypocrite if they're not also categorically opposed to top 12, which gives every corps making finals the exact same advantages he applied to the top 8 compared to the rest of the field. Perennial top 12 finishing corps have always enjoyed a significant advantage over the rest.

It's not the corps themselves, Boz. And it's not that they aren't the top-7-plus-1. It's what they want(ed) to do to the rest of the corps that we're opposed to. I can enjoy all the shows and still feel the same way about the individuals who attempted the coup.

• Like 1

(But yes, I agree with your point; those who cry about "elitism" for non G8 corps seem to forget that there's already a pecking order in the activity based on placement, and those in the top half have big advantages over those in the bottom half.)

Yes, and that system has worked fine for all these years. Those at the top got most of the benefits.

What's bothersome is the desire to squander all the benefits to the exclusion of 8 to 12, let alone 13 to the end.

All the shows used to be open to all comers; bring it on. But now it's "No, these are our shows. You're not invited."

It's not the natural pecking order. It's the snobbishness.

• Like 1

It's not the corps themselves, Boz. And it's not that they aren't the top-7-plus-1. It's what they want(ed) to do to the rest of the corps that we're opposed to. I can enjoy all the shows and still feel the same way about the individuals who attempted the coup.

Lovely sentiment but kind of clashes with the reality to which Boz is responding (which is that all this is directed at the corps and not the directors).

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

The stadium that held DCI Austin seats 11K. Could it be the reason that it didn't appear as big of a success is that one side of the stadium seats 5.5K?

I would think all the hype aboutthe show says no.

IMO,where they killed themselvesas showing it in the theater. Why go roastwhen you can see it 2 days later in a theater,and for a cheaper price?

And from the sounds of it, theaters didn't seem to be that filled.

correction. in 99, the Cavies guard parodied "dhutting" :tongue: