Wherefore art thou, G8?

He doesn't need to, you're bound to tell him.

Nope.

Americans I think we choose to belive the elitist attitude doesnt exsist but it sure does..we just like to ignore it

I'd sure like for you to provide some evidence of this that isn't just personal opinion or speculation.

So, what was the topic of this thread again?

I'd sure like for you to provide some evidence of this that isn't just personal opinion or speculation

Like everything else I say that I don't actually cite with information, it is of course speculation based on the tone and actions of the posts on here.

Like everything else I say that I don't actually cite with information, it is of course speculation based on the tone and actions of the posts on here.

Hmm. Fair enough.

I don't get that message from the tones and actions of the posts here, but I'm not focused on looking for such things.

To each his own, I guess, but I disagree.

I've lived in Austin my entire life and I first got hooked on the Drum Corps back in 1987 when I was a sophomore in high school. I watched in person all the state marching championships that were held in Austin during my high school years (86-90) and I certainly would have gone to a drum corp show in Austin if I had known about it. I knew about the DCI shows that happened in other TX cities happening during this time. In fact, I drove up to Dallas to see the 1991 World Championships. It seems to be if i knew about the DCI events in Dallas and Houston I would have heard about any DCI events in Austin.

Edit: I'm going to correct myself here. I found a website that lists historical DCI scores and apparently there were DCI shows in Austin from 1980-1985. According to the website (http://www.corpsreps.com/search.cfm), Austin did not host another DCI event until 2011. In 2008, there was an exhibition concert given on the steps of our state capital but that doesn't really count as marching competition.

I'm a native Austinite as well. Kileen hosted a DCI show for several years - that was the closest we had. I attended those from 1996-1998. Starting in '99 they added the San Antonio show at the Alamodome. There was also a Leander show in 2003 (awesome show, BTW) for one year, then the Round Rock show this summer. That's pretty much the history of DCI here in the last 20 years.

And FWIW, I saw zero, zilch and nada advertising for the show down here. I'm guessing fliers to band groups were given out; however the show date and pricing wasn't set until almost the end of the school year.

Mike

English football has 40,000 clubs spread out among dozens of divisions. From my limited knowledge of English Football, my understanding is that once a club moves up to a higher quality level division for the following season, it is given no preferential treatment as a new arrival, nor do long standing high level quality teams within a Division given preferential treatment for the FOLLOWING competitive season ( ie, recruiting, revenues, sites, marketing etc ) based upon a previous year(s) play. I 'd be willing to stand corrected however if this can be shown that this is not the case.

Actually, Premier League teams split league and TV money based on number of appearances, final standings, etc. Those tnat are successful and are on every week (ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal) receive far more money from "the system" than do the other clubs. Money they spend to upgrade talent, which gives them advantages towards keeping a top 4 spot... sound familiar?

Or how about La Liga in Spain, where the two two clubs - Barcelona and Real Madrid - threatened to bolt the entire league and start their own circuit because the other 18 clubs had the temerity to demand that TV money be split equally amongst all the clubs? Ultimately the top two got what they wanted. (Same thing is happening right now in Scottish Football - Celtic and Rangers are fighting any attempts to level the playing field.)

Anyways, sorry for the aside. To put it back on DCI, I actually really enjoyed the G8-in-all-but-name show in Round Rock.

Mike

I find the battle for 12-17 much more exciting this year. I have no plans to see a G8 show this year.

I haven't seen a lot of the non-finalist shows yet this year, but the ones I have seen haven't done much for me. Hopefully as they finish their shows and start cleaning they'll get interesting: I'm willing to give those corps the benefit of the doubt and at least give them a chance.

Too bad others won't do likewise for other corps they clearly have blind biases towards: you'll be missing some great drum corps on display from the likes of Cavaliers, Crown, Cadets, SCV, Phantom Regiment, Bluecoats, Blue Devils, Blue Star.