Wherefore art thou, G8?

Why? The battle for 12-17 does prove to be exciting. But that's no excuse to diss the top 8. Your logic is flawed, or biased.

Why can't he be " biased " against the notion of a G8 when the system is " flawed " and " biased " to insitute such a slotted subdivision within the World Class Division in the first place ? His " logic " seems no more " flawed " than the system implemented for this competitive season... no matter who gets in or out for NEXT season.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

"Wherefore" means Why", hence "WHY are you G8"?

better question, imo would be.." Why not" ?... if you can get away with it.

Edited by BRASSO

I beg to differ. It would be beneficial if no such organized Group Slotting System took place within the World Class Division in the first place, imo. It is inherently divisive, thoroughly unfair to the concept of fair competition, and frankly would never be found instituted in any competitive sport in the world. The notion that what one did in competition in a given year would advantage one the FOLLOWING year with an announced advantage to the public, future campers, and competitors itself is both unseemly and portends a rigged system that benefits a few at the expense of the others. I hope the concept of a" G8" falls apart. I think if it did, it would be a most positive thing for the future health of the activity as a whole, and provide us MORE unpredictability and upward mobility opportunities for more Corps. I will go so far to state that no person who truly values a level playing field in the World Class Division can support such a terrible slotted system... whether it is a G4, G6, or a G12. I will fight it tooth and nail. And hope others do too.

Actually, a similar concept is found in English football. The previous season's standings determine which league you can move up or down into for the following season. It works well for them, and I don't think it would be bad if DCI adopted a similar (albeit tweaked, policy). But then again, as I have said before, I think the entire G8 could be solved with better marketing on DCI's part.

Actually, a similar concept is found in English football. The previous season's standings determine which league you can move up or down into for the following season. It works well for them, and I don't think it would be bad if DCI adopted a similar (albeit tweaked, policy). But then again, as I have said before, I think the entire G8 could be solved with better marketing on DCI's part.

not quite, IMO. If you want it to be analogous, it would be like Arsenal, Man U, LIverpool, Chelsea, and a couple others breaking away into their own "top of the top" division.

Do you think premier league fans would be happy if these teams tried to break away?

Also, in English soccer, placement determines whether or not you move. In the G7 proposal, the G7 could vote on which corps they want to be part of their club. So, imagine you got promoted to the premier league, but the premier league teams voted that you couldn't join, and you are SOL

• Like 1

Also, in English soccer, placement determines whether or not you move. In the G7 proposal, the G7 could vote on which corps they want to be part of their club. So, imagine you got promoted to the premier league, but the premier league teams voted that you couldn't join, and you are SOL

Plus, no drum corps can bend it like Beckham. :tongue:

English football has 40,000 clubs spread out among dozens of divisions. From my limited knowledge of English Football, my understanding is that once a club moves up to a higher quality level division for the following season, it is given no preferential treatment as a new arrival, nor do long standing high level quality teams within a Division given preferential treatment for the FOLLOWING competitive season ( ie, recruiting, revenues, sites, marketing etc ) based upon a previous year(s) play. I 'd be willing to stand corrected however if this can be shown that this is not the case.

Edited by BRASSO

None of you understand the bond that unites the G8. Madison could never enter the G8 because they were not there that fateful night. What fateful night you ask? It was late. The charter members of the G8 were crossing the desert and they all saw the streak of light. No one knows which corps decided to investigate first, but they were ALL drawn to the impact site. As is typical, only staff were allowed to leave the bus - that's why some members weren't affected. They say it was the staff of a west coast corps who was assimilated first. The meteorite projected beams of strange blue, red and maroon light. For some reason, green was not part of the spectrum. By the time 7 of the soon to be 8 corps were assimilated, the light withdrew and there was a great splitting sound. Before their eyes lay eight crystals. Drawn to the crystals, each of 7 directors collected one crystal and received telepathic encoding explaining the prophecy of the 8th crystal. Mysteriously, the 8th crystal began to glow green. I would tell you more, but someone (or something) is pounding at my door. They're after me........ I have to go!

English football has 40,000 clubs spread out among dozens of divisions. From my limited knowledge of English Football, my understanding is that once a club moves up to a higher quality level division for the following season, it is given no preferential treatment as a new arrival, nor do long standing high level quality teams within a Division given preferential treatment for the FOLLOWING competitive season ( ie, recruiting, revenues, sites, marketing etc ) based upon a previous year(s) play. I 'd be willing to stand corrected however if this can be shown that this is not the case.

You are generally correct. Marketing is different depending on the team, however. I didn't say that relegation and the G7 were one in the same, but I could definitely see a TOC-like concept working within the relegation concept, so if the the G7/TOC is going to stick around in any form, I would hope it would be handled in that way.

There was always the charges routinely heard by long timers that there is " slotting " within the World Class Division. I usually dismisssed those charges. Never in my wildest dreams did I think however that they'd one day be a subdivision created within the World Class Division that was based on previous years results that would slot the Corps within the Division starting out for the following season. So, yes, this creation of a newly slotted subdivision is unprecedented in my opinion. At least to the extent that the slotting that is prearranged for an upcoming season is now open and public, anyway. The concept of a G7 ( later that become an G8 due to political maneuvering)was hatched behind closed doors. This is indisputable. But it was adopted for this year on trial basis by DCI. This does not make the slotting within the World Class Division any less oderous however, imo.

always been there.......ALWAYS

From what I recall re: the G8. This year's top 8 will make up next year's ToC tour. If Madison (or another corps) finishes in the top 8, that will make them part of the ToC next season, bumping out one of this year's "members". That is why this years scores are not taken into consideration for any shows this year.