When did Drum Corps lose its soul?

Hi,

So I'm going to be described as an old has been (my name says the years I marched, so you do the math) but does anyone else see the serious lack personality, heart, grit, originality (whatever word you want to put in there) in drum corps now? This isn't to take away from the hard work people put into it but it seems for all the hard work the members are putting in, that DCI and a lot of the corps are not stepping up and doing their part. So back in the day you were penalized for each mistake, so corps that were doing harder shows but "ticking" more weren't getting the credit they deserved. Now everything seems very formulaic, I guess just like the rest of the world. Get up, go to the job you hate in your Camry, punch in, punch out, come home to your house, wife(husband), 2 kids and then get divorced after 5 years. That's what drum corps is now. It's Brittney Spears in the 90s and Katy Perry now. A cute little package, that the staff probably did 5 years ago with a corps they use to teach but the corps wears blue instead of red.

Back in my day(shaking fist), each corps had a personality, something different to offer. You could hear a corps at warm ups and know who it was just from the sound of the brass line. You were taught by people who marched that same corps and now you can bring your bright trumpet sound from the bay area to the east coast and pretty much eliminate the sound a championship corps established and changed the game with in the early 80s.

Don't get me wrong, I see corps trying to pass along "traditions" but they have nothing to do with the heart and soul of said corps on the field. Who cares about a corps song if it clearly isn't that corps on the field. I'm talking uniforms or 3 valves or not having g bugles. All that change is fine but wasn't drum corps great because it was different and it was local to a point. You rooted for Boston, because they were FROM Boston(that's the Crusaders if you didn't catch on), or you hated them because they were from Boston. Or you marched Phantom Regiment and you would NEVER go to BD because it's a totally different style. You would pick a corps that fit you. Sure there are still a few corps that have very slight identities but it's not like it use to be. People teaching are so caught up in themselves. Everyone is trying to make it about themselves and not the drum corps. It's not about the members, it's not about the instructors, the directors. It's about the corps and being part of that history, and making your own history.

It's not the NFL, about money. There is no money in drum corps but we are caught in this place, this facade of an educational activity just to make a buck for like maybe 5 people. Supposably drum corps is more educational now, but now it's like everything else for the most part. They want you to step in ready and don't want to develop anything. It's all about will you pay and the now. When I marched I learned, how to play, how to live on my own, how to deal with people and different kinds of people(not just the middle to upper middle class people from suburbia that dominate the drum corps population), how to take a risk, how to be an individual and express myself, how to be part of a group and know your role but how hard work pays off. Now it's total business. I know there are exceptions, like in anything but it's dead, no!?

Again, I respect the hard work done by the members but lets make sure we are part of drum corps because we love the activity, not because we think we are more important than it.

• Like 4

No disrespect, and I haven't read your post yet, but I'm pretty sure there's at least two other threads like this on the first page. Again, please don't take this like I don't like your post (not that it matters one bit what I think lol!). I don't agree or disagree with what your post probably says, just things are easier to read in consolidation lol.

• Like 2

No disrespect, and I haven't read your post yet, but I'm pretty sure there's at least two other threads like this on the first page. Again, please don't take this like I don't like your post (not that it matters one bit what I think lol!). I don't agree or disagree with what your post probably says, just things are easier to read in consolidation lol.

that's cool man. i got better things to do than comb through the dcp archives. I just wanted to see what people thought. Cause I think corps are boring as hell now.

• Like 3

that's cool man. i got better things to do than comb through the dcp archives. I just wanted to see what people thought. Cause I think corps are boring as hell now.

I think the audience for corps is getting younger and younger, and most corps I think are going for crowdpleasers. The crowds taste has changed. (if you marched in the past chances are it hasn't) but for the most part, they are putting out what "sounds cool" (my opinion is just that, don't take me seriously and grill me for (get this) MY OPINION)

• Like 1

I think the audience for corps is getting younger and younger, and most corps I think are going for crowdpleasers. The crowds taste has changed. (if you marched in the past chances are it hasn't) but for the most part, they are putting out what "sounds cool" (my opinion is just that, don't take me seriously and grill me for (get this) MY OPINION)

FYI, I'm not gonna grill anyone. Opinion are opinion. The shows do the opposite of pleasing a crowd to me.

• Like 2

Although I slightly agree with the OP, I'm " <- that close to whipping out my favorite pic.

I think I understand what the original poster is talking about. Perhaps this is why Madison has been one of the fan's favorites for years. I used to purchase DVDs and CDs throughout the 80s and 90s. For my taste, I prefer to hear music that is not chopped up. I appreciate the technical ability of certain corps, but have had problems liking shows due to unapproachable music. This is just my preference.

• Like 2

My first finals was in 1976, so I am old. I believe corps are more talented, creative and unique (corps to corps) than ever before. Sure, when the envelope is pushed it sometimes does not turn out well, but what I see on the field year in, year out is remarkable.

• Like 1