When did Drum Corps lose its soul?

Where to start. Well, I'll start with some personal context: I aged out in 1988 and taught for a year in 92. So I've got some years behind me.

I honestly just flat-out disagree with the premise that drum corps lost its soul. Yes, it is different, but I don't see the changes as a loss of soul. I do see it as the result of a lot of cross-pollination and staff sharing, changes in judging and equipment, changes in corps administrations' philosophies about what good drum corps is about.

There is a pendulum swing that I believe I've seen come and go a few times now. The first began way back in 1983 with the amazing changes in movement made evident by Zingali's famous drill for Garfield. That swing took us all the way to Star of Indiana and their pushing of the envelope in all areas - programming, administration and performance practice in particular. We had a bit of a swing backward that also started around that time, perhaps in 1991 or 92 with Crossmen, Madison (maybe even as early as 88), and others starting to reach back again into more emotionally driven content.

Then around 2000 (maybe?) the pendulum went again the other direction and esotericism became more common. In particular we see the rise of the use of minimalist music as a palate upon which to build a highly visual show. (When I say minimalist I mean it in one of two ways - the first is literally referencing the compositional method of minimalism, and the second is referencing a somewhat lightened or formulaic brass book to make room for more movement.)

The esotericism reached it's peak in the mid 2000's (and perhaps slightly beyond in some cases) and slowly things began to turn again toward what we are seeing this year: another turn back toward shows looking to evoke visceral emotional reactions - sometimes lightheartedly, sometimes in deep darkness, but always looking to say "hey, we want you to really FEEL something here."

I don't know if my analysis really holds true, but it reflects my experiences as an audience member as well as performer. (I will never, EVER forget the way I felt when I saw that Garfield 83 show. My jaw fell to the ground and made a hole. It's still there. :tongue: )

To address your comments about locality - yes, it's different now. But it may not be this way forever. This is a pendulum swing that will take many more years to play out.

DCI lost it's soul when it was defeated by Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat. He's got it. I heard DCI is sending the Trooper's drum major to a rematch to get it back.

LOL! Go Josh Jensen, Troopers DM for 2011! :thumbup:

I'll keep it short...lol

Do I think kids are different now than other decades,,YES!!!!!

Do I think Loyality is different ....YES!

I do think it is generational though.......I think the members of the 50s and 60s for sure said the same about the members of the 70s and 80s as things changed as well as the same with members of the 70s and 80s about the 90s.

Not all would feel that way but certainly many..............GENERATIONAL

Edited by GUARDLING

You are not old. The first of three Finals I marched was 1975, and I feel like I'm getting younger every year when I sit and watch the wonders that are unveiled in front of my eyes and ears on the field. Like you, I find it remarkable, and it's so invigorating it fills me with a sense of perpetual youthfulness.

Drum corps keeps people young at heart.

Well, in another context, " Drum Corps may have lost some of its SOUL " when the CMCC Warriors, Bronx, NY left the Drum Corps scene in the 70's. ( and later on in the early 80's, the Bridgemen )

CMCC Warriors, partial repetoire :

" The Theme from Shaft"

" Voodoo Suite "

" Kum Ba Yah "

" Porgy and Bess " ( Medley of hits )

" Black Orpheus "

• Like 2

drum corps didnt lose it's soul. it just lost fans.

• Like 4

i'd pay real money to see people who actually dare to like what they see today start thread after thread taking verbal dumps on dci productions form 15+ years ago.

Actually, I thought the era from late '80s through early '90s was excrutiatingly boring. While there were certainly some great shows, taken as a whole there were too many Cadets style copycats and corps abandoned jazz and popular styles for classical genres. Almost lost interest back then but things picked up with shows like BD '94 and Madison '95

• Like 1

i'd pay real money to see people who actually dare to like what they see today start thread after thread taking verbal dumps on dci productions form 15+ years ago.

Oh sure, thats a great suggestion. Bring out more of the haters so we can have a bigger food fight.

That'll work.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I've never been arrogant enough to believe Drumcorps was about ME. Drumcorps will put out shows that highlight their creativity and talent....and they will teach these kids the very same life lessons we all got when we marched. (which to me is the essence of drumcorps) ....and my job as the fan is to go and enjoy. And I do. There may come a day when I don't enjoy, and that will be the day I buy a ticket to the next NASCAR event or NFL game (if that's around) and go there instead. I stopped attending the Indy 500 years ago because I didn't like what Tony George changed about the sport.... hey it's still there and I have better things to do. I still have old videos of the 500 to go watch though.