Inspirational Instructor Moments

At the end of the 2008 season with Troopers, Dean Westman stood in front of the corps, and said "you may move on to a top 12, or top 6 corps, that's fine. But why join something great when you can make something great?"

2 years later, after briefly associating myself with the Cadets, I decided Troopers were my home, and I aged out with them.

• Like 2

Yawn... another politically correct forum topic.

Let's talk about our warm and fuzzies. Pretty soon we won't even keep score because we don't want to hurt feelings. Music education isn't an entirely positive experience. The best lessons learned are the hard ones. Lets get the sticks out of our heinies and be realistic here.

Shoulders back, heads up, eyes wide....with pride! *gag*

The most rewarding experience of my entire musical career was Chief pulling me to the front sidelines, having me turn around and play the show to the entire drum corps. And when I couldn't do it, he chastised me in front of everyone. That moment helped me as a musician more than any happy go lucky moment ever would. Yes, I hated him for that summer, but now, I'd bend over backwards for him. He taught me all I needed to know about performing in an ensemble, and that is that each individual carries the responsibility of the entire ensemble on their backs every single note.

• Like 2

This topic is in response to another which is filled with awful comments that drum corps instructors have made. What are some of the great moments when an instructor has done or said something that truly inspired you!

A Corps Director of average means with a wife and 2 teenage children took out a home mortgage line of credit on their own home and used the funds to keep the Corps afloat financially.

If that is not love, sacrifice, and committment, then I don't know what the definition of these terms are.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

A Corps Director of average means and 2 teenage daughters took out a home Mortgage line of Credit on their own home and used the funds to keep the Corps afloat financially.

If that is not love, sacrifice, and committment, then I don't know what the definition of these terms are.

He won't like it because it paints corps' financial stability in a bad light... that means it won't be suitable for parents to read, because it will push them away from drum corps. (and yes, this is his stock response to anything that doesn't read like the boa mission statement)

• Like 1

You marched the era just after the absolution of the tick system. The entire spectrum of drum corps was based upon perfection and negativity, just years before you got to Cavaliers. I have a hard time believing your rehearsals and lessons learned were full of positivism and rainbows. (not counting somewhere over the rainbows)

Of course our rehearsals weren't "full of positivism and rainbows". That's not the point of the thread. The point is to highlight those moments where positive reinforcement and teaching methods did some good (if I may be so bold as to speak for the original poster).

I'll say this -- whenever Jeff spoke, I listened. Same for Steve, and our drum majors. I don't recall much in the way of negative teaching methods, ever, but alas, almost 3 decades down the line, I can't recall any exact quotes that might meet the criteria of this thread. Suffice it to say I learned more from Jeff & Steve, among others, than most bosses I've ever had in the engineering world. C'est la vie.

Of course our rehearsals weren't "full of positivism and rainbows". That's not the point of the thread. The point is to highlight those moments where positive reinforcement and teaching methods did some good (if I may be so bold as to speak for the original poster).

I'll say this -- whenever Jeff spoke, I listened. Same for Steve, and our drum majors. I don't recall much in the way of negative teaching methods, ever, but alas, almost 3 decades down the line, I can't recall any exact quotes that might meet the criteria of this thread. Suffice it to say I learned more from Jeff & Steve, among others, than most bosses I've ever had in the engineering world. C'est la vie.

He didn't say positive. He said inspiring.

MY positivity comment was a response to his comment in the thread that gotten taken down. (mostly because of the fuss he was raising)

Inspiration doesn't necessarily have to be the product of positivism. Just like my most inspiring moment, wasn't positive at all (at the time).

From a parents perspective, I personally loved the other thread had not laughed so hard in a long time. I think every parent knows going into this activity that it isn't going to be all (over the rainbow) for there child. Hell this is drum corps it should be intense, yes inspiration can come from both positive and negative comments and my experience is the kids do get both. The staff know their kids and need to do what ever it takes for the kid to figure it out.

With that said the most inspirational moment I have experienced was this year. On the way to December camp in a snow storm my daughter was hit 3 times by 2 hit and run drivers and ended up in a ditch. Upon hearing about the accident it took less than an hour (she was still 45min from where camp was) for 2 staff members to be by her side. It wasn't what they said it was what they did to help her. She told me when she got home that she was surprised at one of them that came cause all last year on tour she thought he didn't like her, and now she knew that wasn't true. Knowing that they had her back only made her want to work harder.

• Like 3

From a parents perspective, I personally loved the other thread had not laughed so hard in a long time. I think every parent knows going into this activity that it isn't going to be all (over the rainbow) for there child. Hell this is drum corps it should be intense, yes inspiration can come from both positive and negative comments and my experience is the kids do get both. The staff know their kids and need to do what ever it takes for the kid to figure it out.

With that said the most inspirational moment I have experienced was this year. On the way to December camp in a snow storm my daughter was hit 3 times by 2 hit and run drivers and ended up in a ditch. Upon hearing about the accident it took less than an hour (she was still 45min from where camp was) for 2 staff members to be by her side. It wasn't what they said it was what they did to help her. She told me when she got home that she was surprised at one of them that came cause all last year on tour she thought he didn't like her, and now she knew that wasn't true. Knowing that they had her back only made her want to work harder.

Thank you so much for sharing this!

cleaned up the thread a bit.

please stay on-topic, and don't make us get rid of posts anymore.

it should be easy now for the few who keep taking off-topic personal matters into these threads, hijacking them.

please stop.

• Like 1