Academy's tour schedule

OH NOOO!!! They didn't return 100% of their members!! And yet, somehow, they are fielding a full corps... again. Just like they do EVERY YEAR!

Apparently they're doing something right since they are able to field a full corps year after year so why not just let them keep doing what they're doing and take joy in that they are still around? This coming from an alum of 2 defunct drum corps.

• Like 1

This coming from an alum of 2 defunct drum corps.

It's OK, Randy. It wasn't your fault.

"I love you, baby

na na na na na na na na na

Baby

Baby..."

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor
  • Like 1

The same people who are complaining that The Academy should go back to Open Class are the same ones that are going to be complaining when they start winning all the time like they did back in the DIV II days. And then they are going to say "They need to move up to World Class". But then they are going to do the tour they have been doing for the past however many years and people are going to start saying "They need to go back to Open Class."

The Academy is never going to win with people here on DCP. The haters are always going to hate, and as someone pointed out, it all started back in SA in 2007. Seriously, get over yourselves people. If you want to see The Academy tour more you should get off your butts, pull out your wallets and give them some money.

Also, we can say the same thing about PR losing members to SCV this year right? And Spirit losing members to PR. (I think that's who's at Spirit now right?) You're never going to keep everybody at one corps all the time. I'm pretty certain there are members from other corps marching at The Academy not only this year but in past years as well. I find the fact of losing members to other corps to be a pointless fact in this topic considering The Academy has been successful every year and has fielded a full corps every year.

On a positive not, it's great to see all of these big time tour managers who know everything and are out there on tour with the corps getting them from point A to B every night. . oh wait. .

*continue beating of dead horse*

• Like 3

It's OK, Randy. It wasn't your fault.

"I love you, baby

Baby

Baby..."

Garry in Vegas

Sung as only a Renegade can sing it! :cool:

OH NOOO!!! They didn't return 100% of their members!!

I'm not the one claiming they were. I'm just calling the BS when the BS alarm goes off.

there is a high turnover at Academy. YES, the brass line is full. But that brass line being full takes a whole variety of things, including Christian Carichner recruiting his band kids and having them switch instruments to march.

Christian Carichner recruiting his band kids and having them switch instruments to march.

...really? Is that the wisest thing for their musical well-being?

(I'm not judging, I'm asking. I guess it depends on their actual instrument and the instrument they play while marching, but it seems like it might even be detrimental to their playing...!)

. . including Christian Carichner recruiting his band kids and having them switch instruments to march.

Wait, so you're saying that no other corps recruit people? Only The Academy does this?! No way! There's never been anybody who has played a WW instrument and switched over to a Brass/Percussion instrument or even guard, to be able to march right?

Ok so why is this even being argued? How many full tour corps have been beaten and knocked out of at least Semi-finals a combined total of 8 maybe 9 times by all three Pacific Crest, Mandarins and Academy who don't do this full tour thing that all the other corps do? And I'm not just talking Pioneer either. Hear me out

PC's start in Div 1./World Class in 2003. They do a last two weeks of the season tour and beat out capital regiment, southwind, troopers, kiwanis cavaliers, pioneer and the mandarins for their first semi-finals finish ever!!! They do this twice more in 07 and 08

Mandarins 2005 tie Cascades for 17th and beat Magic, Esperanza, Pioneer, Troopers and Kiwanis as well as PC. All except for one is full tour. They go on in 2006 to beat everyone listed and they also beat southwind for semis.

Academy really is the juggernaut of this trio when you think about it. Come screaming out of the gates in 2007 and get ranked 10th at the San Antonio regional but then unfortunately drop out of a finalist berth but still taking out Blue Stars, Madison, Xmen, PC, Cascades, Mandarins, Troop, Southwind, and Pioneer. They had a drop in 2008 but look at where they have consistently finished the passed couple of seasons and who they are constantly challenging. I really don't see any problem with this touring schedule especially since all 3 of these corps are still here and groups like Southwind, Capital Regiment, Kiwanis Cavaliers, Esperanza and Magic are all gone.

Before you start bashing these 3 groups for their touring model (even though I know this is an Academy thread), you need to realize who isn't here anymore that followed the full tour model. Not hating on those corps because they all had shows that I loved watching while they were around.

Also, everyone recruits, everyone loses members each year due to personal finances, injury, school, military academy, and of course moving on to another corps. But that's been going on for a while so please stop acting shocked when it's mentioned here!!!!

P.S For those of you questioning the instrument change, I went through 3 woodwind instruments and 3 months of trombone before I realized marching trumpet in corps would be fun.

Rant off!

• Like 1

Wait, so you're saying that no other corps recruit people? Only The Academy does this?! No way! There's never been anybody who has played a WW instrument and switched over to a Brass/Percussion instrument or even guard, to be able to march right?

The implication by the Academy honks., of course, is that Academy returns most, if not all of their members and that they are brass musicians.

The fact is, Academy is a good stepping stone for most. They go there and then leave the last year or two of eligibility. There are also tons of musicians who aren't brass musicians in the ensemble. One rookout last year had NEVER touched a baritone and was marching baritone.