Academy's tour schedule

The fact is, Academy is a good stepping stone for most. They go there and then leave the last year or two of eligibility.

Academy is not unique in this regard, and it is of course sort of a sad commentary. These Corps have zero... zilch... nada... chance of really doing anything special one day if they continue to be bled dry of their experienced marching talent by the Goliaths above them in the World Class Division. They are essentially uncompensated feeder Corps for the G8, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Academy is not unique in this regard, and it is of course sort of a sad commentary. These Corps have zero... zilch... nada... chance of really doing anything special one day if they continue to be bled dry of their experienced marching talent by the Goliaths above them in the World Class Division.

I'm not claiming they are alone in this regard. I'm just tired of hearing the complete, utter (udder if you will), mistruths coming out of the Academy camp.

• Like 1

I'm sorry. I guess I missed the memo that made you the Academy enforcer.

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif

And a comedian to boot! You are pretty funny. I'll give you that.

Academy is not unique in this regard, and it is of course sort of a sad commentary. These Corps have zero... zilch... nada... chance of really doing anything special one day if they continue to be bled dry of their experienced marching talent by the Goliaths above them in the World Class Division. They are essentially uncompensated feeder Corps for the G8, imo.

In this regard its almost a system built at the expense of others..or at least insurmountable odds...drum corps history has proven this to be true...I can honestly say I never left my corps...not to be arrogant but I was talented enough to go anywhere I wanted...at the same time I respect others decision to go where they have chosen to go...I don't think this aspect will ever change without a formal rule change...

I have to disagree. My daughter has been with the Academy for 4 years. Many of her Corps-mates have been there since she started, and I have not heard of an unusual percentage of people moving on to other Corps. Academy has made a name for themselves and I think their continued success has much to attribute to the peer leadership within the Corps vets. There have been staff rifts and changes that were questionable at times, and the economic situation surrounding the Corps is awful, but still they are a thriving force in DCI WC, and the kids ARE staying in the program. I wouldn't call them a "stepping stone" when your well in the hunt for a finals spot almost every year since moving up.

Just my 2 cents from what I've seen and heard.

• Like 2

So they can't afford to tour but they can afford new uniforms (when the new ones are garish and the old ones looked great)???

Not sure that makes sense.

Also not sure why a corps would go all the way back to Arizona to rehearse in 108* heat when there are likely suitors in the Midwest who would house them.

Not to mention the "excuse" that no shows would "take them" is rubbish.

I'm questioning whether or not Academy wants to be a big-boy corps, honestly.

Looks like it's hot in the Midwest too. At least they're in a "dry heat"! thumbup.gif

It makes a BIG difference!

Well, let's see how it's working out so far.

Academy has never made the top 12 in their previous four seasons of world-class. They are 0 for 4.

Pacific Crest is 0 for 9.

Mandarins are 0 for 9.

Jersey Surf is 0 for....well, I think you get the point.

Clearly, fewer shows is not the secret path to the top 12, as you suggest. If it was, top corps would be doing it. None of these corps are required to do 30-35 shows....but you'll observe all the top corps choosing to do so. The more shows they do, the more experience they get, the more exposure to judges to get more credit from them, and the more judge feedback they have with which to refine their performances and programs.

Hey there...long time. Nice to see you and me agreeing about so much. However, I'd like to offer other reasons why the above corps have not yet cracked Top 12. I believe it has more to do with the corps who HAVE been a Top 12 corps...repeatedly. It's like the boxer who is the champ, wears the belt, all that. They need to LOSE the fight...a draw, they keep the title against their opponents. I think the same is true about cracking Top 12.

When was the last time a "New corps" (never ever been in the Top 12) cracked the Top 12? 1995 with Carolina Crown? 2002...that mixed up horrible year in Madison when it seemed like there were 3-4 newbies in Top 12 and Madison sitting in the stands? At home? I think the Carolina Crown thing was just a great corps emerging. I write off 2002 to just being a weird year. Madison not in finals for the first time since when? Yeah, that was different.

I'll leave my thoughts toward The Academy off this thread. I've said them many times in the past. Much has been said of it in this thread. I'd love for any corps out there to be able to do 4-5 shows a week. I remember those days well..7 weeks and 38 shows before finals. It just doesn't always add up for some corps today. Just what it is.