Who has the most thunderous goo?

Viewing the DCI Minnesota show live and in person, I was trying to ignore the thunderous goo, among other things. The huge scoreboard was off, so that's a plus. There was noise from the concessions area - note to self for next year, don't buy seats near the top of the lower deck (that's where the concessions area is). Upper deck appears a better choice.

Anyway, I found two corps more thunder-y than the others. Phantom and Cadets. It appeared that the start of PR's show was delayed due to trying to get the electronics properly plugged in. Didn't help, as there were some pops coming through loud and clear during the performance.

If there were a couple corps that did not need the goo, it's Cadets and PR. Several times, it seems their rich low brass sound was covered by the synthesized rwoooooor a couple octaves below the contras.

It was a great show with great performances from all the corps. The weather was hot and very humid, and the crowd seemed to lose energy as the night wore on. I saw one group of paramedics tending to a fan. The energy of the performing corps under this type of weather was very impressive. I thought Crown brought the most energy to the field.

Interesting. At last night's show I immediately noted after the whole thing that with those two specific corps (Regiment and Cadets) I didn't notice the goo as much as others. Perhaps it's because their shows were the shows I most connected with.

Interesting. At last night's show I immediately noted after the whole thing that with those two specific corps (Regiment and Cadets) I didn't notice the goo as much as others. Perhaps it's because their shows were the shows I most connected with.

Perhaps it's "the goo that binds!" :tongue:

I don't know about volume, I just watched the Minniapolis show on Fan Network, but I thought the Glassmen's electonic sound effects were the most out of context and had the poorest taste. My Mortal Beloved is their concept, much of the music was from Beethoven, but they used electronics for transitions that sounded like 80's techno music effects. It would have made sense to me if their show concept was Tron. I didn't get that at all. But transitions seemed to be a big problem for them, musically and visually. Maybe they'll figure out a better way to do that between now and championships.

• Like 3

I don't know about volume, I just watched the Minniapolis show on Fan Network, but I thought the Glassmen's electonic sound effects were the most out of context and had the poorest taste. My Mortal Beloved is their concept, much of the music was from Beethoven, but they used electronics for transitions that sounded like 80's techno music effects. It would have made sense to me if their show concept was Tron. I didn't get that at all. But transitions seemed to be a big problem for them, musically and visually. Maybe they'll figure out a better way to do that between now and championships.

I'll agree with this. Actually, a lot of times it really ruined some impacts, as the synth sound grew up into what was suppposed to be a brass impact, but it made the brass look worse when it came in at a lower volume than the synths.

• Like 1

For me it has varied from show to show. The webcasts have always picked up the amps far heavier than they seem to be set at the live shows. But even then speaker placement and position in the audience matter a lot, too. (Part of the reason I think amps and synths are a net negative is that the usual PA setup is highly directional and trained towards the press box, so if you are sitting in the wrong place you get a far worse balance than sitting in the wrong place does to the brass and percussion sounds.

I think Cadets and Phantom tend to have the most "walking bass during big buildups". SCV seemed to have it turned up at the Metamora show, but I didn't notice it from them at the Rockford show. Crown and Blue Devils definitely throw it in big on big impacts, but maybe just on the final chord, and not leading up to it like Cadets and Phantom do. Blue Knights is the only WC corps that I think doesn't use any Goo, but I'm not even 100% sure of that.

can threads and topics like this be considered "thunderous goo"

I'm actually getting mad at myself for waisting my time reading the same old stuff

Edited by dbg
  • Like 4

You know there *is* an empirical way to answer this !!

Define a frequency range for "goo".

Run the audio from MN through some audio analysis software and take a look at the numbers.

Not only could you see who's using when but you could measure the intensity. I hear plenty of rumble on FN videos when I playback through a system that has a subwoofer so they're not rolling off the low stuff. I'll bet the APDs are even better quality.

Any EE's out there have some toys to play with?

There are actually Apps for the iOS devices that do this real-time *and* log the data.

Edited by corpsband