Dear George

Ah, fair enough. I don't really know how that could be done in the context of a drum corps show, but it's a wonderful show right now, it could be a wonderful show that way too!!!!

Didn't Pioneer try something close to it last year? That pushed the limits of what I was comfortable with seeing on the field. In terms of theological messages in the Cadets' show, the tunes of Mighty Fortress and Amazing Grace are sufficient. :music:

:-) ... at my age ... a little walker and cane could be fun :-)

HEY! I thought we agreed we weren't going to take some of these things public. C'mon! I mean, I'm trying very hard to present myself as a lady to everyone here on DCP and when you start talking like that it makes it very difficult. Pretty soon I'm going to be labeled and won't have any credibility at all around here.

George, while I've got you on the line, would you please tell the kids to keep it up. There are a lot of us who see this show as a championship caliber show and are really pulling for them.

• Like 2

sorry, i meant to quote granny's post where he was talking about altering the show to make it more theologically sound....something i'm not in favor of. in short, i like that it's pretty secular.

Listen, the concept of Angels and Demons is fundamentally a theological/religious topic. I'm really not quite sure why some are so sensitive about that. I am certainly not trying to start a debate on spiritual matters, but the Cadets are doing a spiritual show...like it or not.

In terms of theological messages in the Cadets' show, the tunes of Mighty Fortress and Amazing Grace are sufficient.

This literally made me laugh! For those who think the Cadets show is secular, you must be joking. Don't take this as an insult but have you ever read the lyrics to Amazing Grace or The doxology? (Note: I don't think the Cadets are playing "A Mighty Fortress" but it's a great hymn too by Martin Luther who spearheaded the reformation)

Those hymns are very specific in their theology and doctrine. I challenge you to go read the lyrics.

Amazing Grace

John Newton wrote this and if you are wondering what "Grace" is and what he meant by it, you can read other hymns he wrote

The Doxology (It's so short, here are the words). Tell me if this isn't overtly religious?

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;

Praise Him, all creatures here below;

Praise Him above, ye Heavenly Host;

Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.

• Like 2

Listen, the concept of Angels and Demons is fundamentally a theological/religious topic. I'm really not quite sure why some are so sensitive about that. I am certainly not trying to start a debate on spiritual matters, but the Cadets are doing a spiritual show...like it or not.

This literally made me laugh! For those who think the Cadets show is secular, you must be joking. Don't take this as an insult but have you ever read the lyrics to Amazing Grace or The doxology? (Note: I don't think the Cadets are playing "A Mighty Fortress" but it's a great hymn too by Martin Luther who spearheaded the reformation)

Those hymns are very specific in their theology and doctrine. I challenge you to go read the lyrics.

Amazing Grace

John Newton wrote this and if you are wondering what "Grace" is and what he meant by it, you can read other hymns he wrote

The Doxology (It's so short, here are the words). Tell me if this isn't overtly religious?

Ok Folks ... back to rehearsals. This is getting too intellectual for an old Crossmen snare drummer. And Granny .. we are busting butt .... been a great few days ... we are getting better ... and adding to the show .. will take us another week but ... we are giving this the run of our lives. After all ... why settle for the ordinary when you can be ... Xtraordinary :-)

• Like 5

Amazing Grace

Ok Folks ... back to rehearsals. This is getting too intellectual for an old Crossmen snare drummer. And Granny .. we are busting butt .... been a great few days ... we are getting better ... and adding to the show .. will take us another week but ... we are giving this the run of our lives. After all ... why settle for the ordinary when you can be ... Xtraordinary :-)

• Like 2

This literally made me laugh! For those who think the Cadets show is secular, you must be joking. Don't take this as an insult but have you ever read the lyrics to Amazing Grace or The doxology?

I know the lyrics by heart. I grew up singing them every Sunday. I love singing the doxology in particular and I still do every chance I get. :music: But the Cadets aren't presenting the lyrics, is my point. They're playing gorgeous music along with a portrayal of angels and demons that is far more stylized myth than doctrine. If they started to get deep into precise theological details, they're going to quickly start offending people.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

no.

love what the cadets are doing, and it comes through very clearly and nicely even for those of us who aren't looking for theological accuracy.

enjoy the show, folks.

• Like 2

Amazing Grace

The cadets show is about as religious as the movie "Legion" or "the Exorcist". The religious themes act as only Archetypes to create a certain mood or idea on the audience. I would not say that a battle between angels and demons is "religious" but it definitely evokes the feeling of being epic and extravagant which is why it works. Cadets show is not overtly religious, it just uses religious archetypes to create an entertaining show like many movies and video games do.

• Like 3

The cadets show is about as religious as the movie "Legion" or "the Exorcist". The religious themes act as only Archetypes to create a certain mood or idea on the audience. I would not say that a battle between angels and demons is "religious" but it definitely evokes the feeling of being epic and extravagant which is why it works. Cadets show is not overtly religious, it just uses religious archetypes to create an entertaining show like many movies and video games do.

Great response. You make a very good point and in general I agree.

I was pushing against the concept though that this was entirely secular. I had made the point that if the show communicated that the demons were conquered by good in the end that would be a great ending and some implied that would be going too far.

I acknowledge that it is highly unlikely that the writers for the Cadets show consulted a group of theologians about the form and message of their show. Rather, I suspect that you are right that the angels v. demons serve merely as an archetype.

However, once the writers dipped into the pool of religious music--very familiar music that many people know by heart--then we can't simply ignore the religious overtones and pretend they don't exist because some feign being offended.

I think it's reasonable to assume that the writers knew precisely what they were doing when they chose those very familiar pieces of music because they knew that it would resonate with so many, and it does, and I'm glad.

So...let's pretend for a moment that this is not angels v. demons, but instead it is Cowboys v. Aliens. In the end I would like to see the Cowboys (good) triumph over the Aliens (evil). OH BOY! Did we just come up with the Trooper's theme next year?

Good discussion.

I've noticed that anytime a discussion wades a little into the deep end that people get a bit nervous. Don't worry, you can put your swimmies on and get back in the shallow end where people are discussing their opinions about the pretty sparkly things on the front of BD's uniforms this year and how neat it is when the light bounces on them and makes them all look so shiny.

OH WAIT! OH NO! Did I just write that and not realize I was responding to George? I am so sorry. Please forgive me.

I know it's a habit of your design staff to write cotton-candy shows and they are not meant to stimulate any cerebral activity. For me to spend any time considering a deeper meaning to your show is the same as looking for deeper meaning in VK playing Dah-duh, Dah-duh and rolling a shark onto the field.

Go get 'em Cadets!