new to DCA

Sorry to dredge up an old topic. Hopefully this is a new take.

After 30 years as a fan/volunteer in DCI, I'm switching for the first time this year to DCA, and am looking forward to attending my first DCA finals in Rochester this Fall.

Why? Because I can't stand the addition of electronics and synth in DCI. Plain and simple. DCA now appears to me (FWIW) to be the premier acoustic drum and bugle competition in the country.

I've heard all the arguments about how electronics "improves" the sound of the pit, and how synths "expand the pallet" of what the designers can do. I don't buy any of that. Having done a lot of recording for various corps, and more recently providing live audio feed for show webcasts, and having been a professional musician myself, it is my opinion that electronics always make a corps sound worse. Honestly, I cannot think of a single instance of a corps sounding better because of anything electronic. I know that's a matter of opinion, but that is mine, resulting from several years of concentrated, critical, and repeat listening with trained ears.

I've also heard the arguments that electronics attracts more young people to the activity. I can't deny that is probably true. However, if the sole goal of drumcorps is to bring in more people, they could simply have the corps play football, or race automobiles. That would bring in millions of new people, but it wouldn't be drumcorps anymore. Just because times change and something becomes less popular, doesn't mean it should be abandoned. The uniquely powerful sound of acoustic brass and drums is what drew me to the activity, and I always love what designers and performers are able to do within that medium. It is why I love drumcorps - not because of other sounds that can be heard elsewhere. I don't expect that sound to appeal to everyone, but it is that sound that gives drumcorps its very own independent artistic merit, and I must believe that that sound would continue to attract a segment of the population, of all ages. I hate to see that unique sound diluted, masked, or simulated.

I'm not opposed to change... I love the diverse, even weird musical choices over the years and in fact drumcorps has introduced me to more new music I never would have known otherwise. Actually, I'm more disappointed when I hear recycled show material when there is so much great music out there to explore (I even have a webpage devoted to great musical works never done by any drumcorps ever: http://www.hardbat.com/NeverDone.html). I just do not believe that drumcorps has maxed-out, and so I would rather see designers concentrate on exploring music and continue finding new ways to thrill spectators and challenge performers with brass and percussion - they do it better than anyone else in the world. There are other, better venues for synthesizers.

Finally, I know that eventually electronics will come to DCA. Let's face it, nothing lasts forever.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to hearing an entire couple of days of unamplified drum and bugle corps. And I look forward to meeting some new friends in Rochester!

• Like 5

Shoot..... Won't be able to attend this year but hope you enjoy Scott.

Mebbe see you next year.....

Great to hear that from someone in the know ,couldn't agree more with what you stated in your comments .DCA is still pretty much pure DRUM CORPS in your face music.

After 30 years as a fan/volunteer in DCI, I'm switching for the first time this year to DCA, and am looking forward to attending my first DCA finals in Rochester this Fall.

Why? Because I can't stand the addition of electronics and synth in DCI. Plain and simple. DCA now appears to me (FWIW) to be the premier acoustic drum and bugle competition in the country.

I've heard all the arguments about how electronics "improves" the sound of the pit, and how synths "expand the pallet" of what the designers can do. I don't buy any of that. Having done a lot of recording for various corps, and more recently providing live audio feed for show webcasts, and having been a professional musician myself, it is my opinion that electronics always make a corps sound worse. Honestly, I cannot think of a single instance of a corps sounding better because of anything electronic. I know that's a matter of opinion, but that is mine, resulting from several years of concentrated, critical, and repeat listening with trained ears.

I've also heard the arguments that electronics attracts more young people to the activity. I can't deny that is probably true. However, if the sole goal of drumcorps is to bring in more people, they could simply have the corps play football, or race automobiles. That would bring in millions of new people, but it wouldn't be drumcorps anymore. Just because times change and something becomes less popular, doesn't mean it should be abandoned. The uniquely powerful sound of acoustic brass and drums is what drew me to the activity, and I always love what designers and performers are able to do within that medium. It is why I love drumcorps - not because of other sounds that can be heard elsewhere. I don't expect that sound to appeal to everyone, but it is that sound that gives drumcorps its very own independent artistic merit, and I must believe that that sound would continue to attract a segment of the population, of all ages. I hate to see that unique sound diluted, masked, or simulated.

I'm not opposed to change... I love the diverse, even weird musical choices over the years and in fact drumcorps has introduced me to more new music I never would have known otherwise. Actually, I'm more disappointed when I hear recycled show material when there is so much great music out there to explore (I even have a webpage devoted to great musical works never done by any drumcorps ever: http://www.hardbat.com/NeverDone.html). I just do not believe that drumcorps has maxed-out, and so I would rather see designers concentrate on exploring music and continue finding new ways to thrill spectators and challenge performers with brass and percussion - they do it better than anyone else in the world. There are other, better venues for synthesizers.

Finally, I know that eventually electronics will come to DCA. Let's face it, nothing lasts forever.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to hearing an entire couple of days of unamplified drum and bugle corps. And I look forward to meeting some new friends in Rochester!

Welcome! I made the switch a couple of years ago for the same reason. Looking forward to my third DCA Championships this year!

Personally speaking I am not sold on electronics being used in DCA for several reasons:

1) A potential financial burden on drum corps organizations in some pretty tough economical times may not be a good thing. If a organization has the funding for electronic gadgets (and such), it may be better well spent by helping to offset the member's participation in their respective organization(s).

2) The size of the performing venues really do not warrant applification. Most stadiums/performance venues in DCA are "up close and personal".

3) I am more impressed with a drum corps that can simulate the effects of other instrumentation with their brass and/or percussion ensemble (as example) rather than using electronic means. There are many examples out there; one being close to home for me...The Kilties simulating the sound of bagpipes with brass instruments. Professional arrangers have heard the simulation on recordings and have literally asked; "You use bagpipes?"

I've listed these in the order of my priorities, solely based on personal opinion and for what it's worth.....and that information and 47 cents will still only get you a senior cup of coffee at the local McDonalds.

• Like 2

Scott, as a fan of both, I look forward to meeting you in Rachacha. I can promise you, my views along electronics match yours in many ways. I don't mind that they are there, I mind how it's used and rewarded...or worse...overlooked by the judging community in DCI

You are in for a treat. Make sure you take in the I & E/mini corps on Friday night and the Alumni Spectacular on Sunday morning-lots of great electronics-free drum corps!

Unfortunately I couldn't get Thursday off work, and coming from the west coast I couldn't get a flight in time for Friday's events. So I'm limited to the Saturday and Sunday events, leaving on Monday. I'm really looking forward to the alumni spectacular.

While I totally Agee with the OP here I hate to break it to him but many on DCP have stated that electronics is being supported by many of the corps that have a vote. It's probably just a matter of a few years before DCA sees electronics . they have already pretty much across the board gone to marching band instruments with only a couple of hold outs. Enjoy it while you can.

• Like 1

Welcome, Scott... it would be nice to meet you in Rochester!