fans sitting on their hands

I myself am not the kind of person who "gives it up" during performances..... And if I did, it would be fake because it is just not in my nature. I am sure there are many more like me. Just because we don't stand up, yell, and go ballistic doesn't mean we are not enjoying the performance as much as the next person.

I myself am not the kind of person who gives it up during performances also. I wait until after the performance. When we went to semis and finals in 2010, I applauded after each performance. Sometimes I'd stand, sometimes I'd smile, sometimes I'd shed a tear and after the show, I'd forgotten how hurt my hands were from clapping and left the stadium with a :bigsmile:

This year I've been watching live feed via Fan Network, Stanford, Denver and Minneapolis, to date. I smiled alot, clapped for 2 corps, hummed 3 corps and did not blink for 4 corps in case I missed a beat. Went back and watched those 4 again 'cause their first impression impressed me so much, I wanted to see it again :smile: edit to add Stanford;

Edited by lindap

I'm feeling crotchety this morning, and I'm exaggerating for effect.

I paid for the doggone tickets; I expect to be entertained. Please don't tell me what I have to and don't have to do in regard to applauding..

Applaud when it feels right and whenever you want. That's the beauty of an outdoor drum corps show. It evokes spontaneity from the fans during and/or after the performance 'cause you're there! I agree with you. I react to a live performance any way I want, that's me. btw I used to tap my toes at the symphony 'cause they didn't allow dancing in the aisles ;-)

Drum Corps audiences vary from show to show. Sometimes you get a conservative one. It depends on individual personalities. It's a great time when you have a live one. There are individuals who are willing to cheer but only if there is a "leader." It's organic. By the last corps, you pretty much know you're going to give up collectively. Oh. . .can't wait. :thumbup:

part of the problem is the last few years, fans have been conditioned not to give it up, save rare exceptions. Now we're seeing shows that warrant the reaction, and I'm sure it will catch on, especially in die hard towns like Allentown. I know I plan on giving it up when warranted

I agree. For long time, making a lot of noise after an impact would just make sure you and everyone around you missed the next part of the show. There are a lot more breaks this year, clearly one of the things Cesario has been encouraging, along with company fronts and pushing the brass into the pit, all of which I'm seeing a lot more of from a lot more corps. :thumbup:

Another prime example....the cavaliers have this friggin epic drawn out brass moment about a minute from the end of the show...ends in an arch with a huge sustain and amazing cutoff. At several shows I've been at nobody has even clapped! I mean...what more do you need!? I'm certainly not calling anyone out and I realize and understand some people are more reserved than others.

The performers do benefit from a more live audience for sure

• Like 1