** Food For Thought - DCA Open Class

Didn't know the reason for the Cirtus Bowl .I just thought they would be about the same cost ,If not there's got to be other staduims in the area?

Yea, you have to think about who owns and operates the venue. The Citrus Bowl is not owned by an NFL team, as the Jag's place is. Just to give you an example, YEA is running a DCI show in the new Meadowlands Stadium. Go check out what the ticket costs are for that show.

Mmhmm, at these shows, DCI judges judge the corps on DCA sheets. However, because MBI, Kilties and Govies will likely only see just each other until late July/August, when MBI usually heads out East for a show, and DCA shows start in the Midwest, these corps are getting reads by actual DCA judges much later than Eastern corps. The same could be said for corps like the Renegades, SoCal Dream and other corps that have little to no opportunity to compete against other DCA corps outside of their region.

I think more opportunities for these corps, as well as the corps from California, and other areas (such as High Country Brass, Vigilantes, etc.) to go head to head against corps like the Bucs, Cabs and Empire will only help create more parity in DCA. I think if Minnesota Brass had 9 DCA shows a year, the Bucs' streak would have been broken already.

you do realize many of these judges judge DCI and DCA right?

the only reason I read DCI recaps is to see who worked their shows... the familiar names are many... many working both circuits...

I know that Tampa Bay Thunder is glad and honored to be in the mix! Looking forward to our next competition on Woodstock, GA.

Edited by Chops

Taking a look at the 2011 lineup of open class DCA corps -- It made me realize that it's a good thing that DCA expanded past the East Coast. Otherwise, there would only be five open class corps this year. In fact, the majority of DCA open class corps are from outside the East Coast now. Is this a first?

Check it out -

Alliance

Buccaneers

Bushwackers

Caballeros

CorpsVets

Empire Statesmen

Hurricanes

Kilties

Minnesota Brass

Renegades

Tampa Bay Thunder

p.s. This post is not a criticism of anyone or anything. Just pointing out something that surprised me when I saw the list on the DCA website.

Bucs have 9

Cabs have 9

Hucs have 9

Bush have 9

Fusion 10

Empire 6

Minn. 5

Gold 5

Sun 5

Windsor 4

Tampa 4

Govies 3

every one else 2-3

years ago you could count on at least 10-12 and some times 14 -16 contest pre year .

Almost nothing anymore in June ,so theres 4 week-ends shot .

Sound has 5 - would have had 6 if the second FL show hadn't been cancelled.

Didn't see Anthony's post earlier.

Edited by shenandoahsound

So what Lee was pointing out...was that the majority of corps in DCA are from outside the Northeast. Does this mean that the majority will have more of a say where shows will be held?

In my opinion, probably not.

The corps in the NE still hold all the power. It's "their organization". Created and managed. They are not likely to give that level of "control" up willingly, no matter who is involved.

(I realize how the rules are currently written in DCA but, rules can be changed when control is about to be challenged).

Tampa Bay just held a show and from what I heard was successful (sorry I couldn't make it). Georgia, NC and VA now hold shows. Will this force ES, Hurcs, Bush, and other NE corps to travel a bit more?

Interesting you chose to use the word, "force"!!! LOL That's about what it will take before it will happen. :rolleyes:

Or will the same corps compete in all NE shows until championships?

Yes.

Several years ago it was that way...Cru, ES, Brigs and Grennies. Must have competed against them every week it seemed. Boy, everyone knew what the outcome was going to be too. I posted about 1990 and saw many changes in placement all year. I guess it made it more interesting at championships in who would win.

I see lee's point about Bucs. I love what they do every year and they are the better corps (it seems). Lee has some valid points and I don't think he was taking shots at Bucs but more in the system.

I think you meant, "at the system" and I completely agree.

Rice

• Like 1

Sunrisers years ago traveled out to Chiagio for a contest ,and have been in the Shenandoah held show a few times ,Im sure they might have been invited back again this year.But this is a new corps building back up,with little or no backing { money wise no dues its free to the member ship ] Doing car washes to raise money to complete .Not sure that money is a problem for other corps but till Sun is back on there feet im sure they will be staying close to home . Most corps in Class A are not from the north east

Govies

High Country Brass

Arkansas Thunder

Cinn.Tradition

Gulf Coast Sound

Vililantes

Shenandoah Sound

Carolina Gold

So.Cal Dream stay in califoria not at DCA thisyear

Sun Devils

North Eastern Corps

Fusion

Grenadiers

Windsor Regiment

Sunrisers

White Sabers

Excelsiour

Edited by Florida Sun

Sunrisers years ago traveled out to Chiagio for a contest ,and have been in the Shenandoah held show a few times ,Im sure they might have been invited back again this year.But this is a new corps building back up,with little or no backing { money wise no dues its free to the member ship ] Doing car washes to raise money to complete .Not sure that money is a problem for other corps but till Sun is back on there feet im sure they will be staying close to home . Most corps in Class A are not from the north east

Govies

High Country Brass

Arkansas Thunder

Cinn.Tradition

Gulf Coast Sound

Vililantes

Shenandoah Sound

Carolina Gold

So.Cal Dream stay in califoria not at DCA thisyear

Sun Devils

North Eastern Corps

Fusion

Grenadiers

Windsor Regiment

Sunrisers

White Sabers

Excelsiour

Exactly my point! The six corps from outside of the NE now have the control necessary to make decisions that will help expand the activity nationwide!

If the rules aren't changed at the last minute that is....................................?

Rice

Edited by rwrice
  • Like 1