** Food For Thought - DCA Open Class

It's nice that Lee goes away for a period of time and then comes back with his regular and predictable stuff about Reading. Dressing the comments up with 'I mean no disrespect' and 'it's not their fault' are just a diversion. Kinda like 'no offense, but....[insert offensive comment]' or 'I'm not a racist but....[here comes a racist comment].' I bet we can set our calendars to the next cycle of his "The Bucs are killing DCA, but I'm really not blaming them" comments.

Instead of spending time #####ing and moaning about them, why not use that energy and time being better and beat them?

And for the record, I don't want to go to DCAs because I'm tired of going to Rochester. I can't wait until Annapolis. THAT's why I don't want to go.

I consider myself a fair expert on things DCI, but I'm definitely a noob when it comes to DCA, but I wonder if the fact the average age of members keeps lowering might affect the audience? When MM's were closer in age to the average age of spectators, it suggests that they're talking their friends / family / coworkers into attending. Not so much now?

Or the fact that the championships are in the NE with a consistently shrinking base of corps - that's a pretty straightforward explanation as well.

I do think the Bucs win streak has taken a lot of the suspense out of the competition, but I don't know if I'd say that removing the suspense reduces the fans. Then again, I guess you can contend that the younger marchers / fans / friends are more competitive (see the DCI member survey where competitive results ranked up in the top three as a reason to march) and it probably does have an effect...

In summary... <shrug> I have no idea. :smile:

Mike

And while I'm on the topic, I personally believe that the Reading Buccaneers never losing a show for years and years on end is a substantial reason for the decline in the number of DCA corps and fans.

Success is not the Buccaneers fault at all,

So what you are saying is achievement is not the corps' fault? The Buccaneers success is indeed their fault and they should wear the pride of this miraculous success on their sleeves.

mind you, but the fact of the matter is that they have realistically turned DCA into anything but a competitive activity. Feel free to slam me, attack me, whatever ... but step back from the attacks for a second and look at where we're at ... and consider the reality of marketing a world championship competitive activity to fans and participants, where the winners have not lost in 8 years or whatever it's been. The turnaround has to start with making DCA competitive again. Not sure how that happens, but it needs to happen, or what's the point of competition? We keep heading in this direction, and it's all going to get worse before it gets better.

How it happens is quite simple. The Management and Staff at the Buccaneers are tenacious. The management gets the best instructors and the Management recruits their brains out. If the Management didn't have its act together, the drum corps would not succeed.

My .07, not the opinion of anyone but me.

just my .07

Olive

Geez, "Ken", I think Lee was quite deliberate in saying that being successful wasn't Reading's fault.

I recently read this...."Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible."

Olive

I consider myself a fair expert on things DCI, but I'm definitely a noob when it comes to DCA, but I wonder if the fact the average age of members keeps lowering might affect the audience? When MM's were closer in age to the average age of spectators, it suggests that they're talking their friends / family / coworkers into attending. Not so much now?

Or the fact that the championships are in the NE with a consistently shrinking base of corps - that's a pretty straightforward explanation as well.

I do think the Bucs win streak has taken a lot of the suspense out of the competition, but I don't know if I'd say that removing the suspense reduces the fans. Then again, I guess you can contend that the younger marchers / fans / friends are more competitive (see the DCI member survey where competitive results ranked up in the top three as a reason to march) and it probably does have an effect...

In summary... <shrug> I have no idea. :smile:

Mike

let's be honest about one thing tho Mike. No region outsidethe NE hasshown they can draw a crowd for finals...or regular season shows...to match what is drawn up here. That's not their fault, those regions have to grow and people have to learn about DCA in areas where, until 10 years ago, it didn't.

I'll be honest...I attended the Winston Salem show in 2005. If finals had gone there it would have killed DCA. they say they sold 3000 tickets, but in thats tadium, it looked like 300 people attended.

I support finals moving...when the time is right

,.................a few posts back, someone listed the prelims scores from 1974,........look, we took 10th with a 59something :shutup: ...........DCA is surely more compeditive today in the overall level of product on the field in finals, there can be no doubt about that,........as you also cannot dispute that the higher level of acheiving corps are coming from across the country, and that is a great thing,.....in those days, the spread from first to tenth usually exceeded 30 points, last year it was what, 12 maybe?.......

"Tear Down" vs "Build Up".

Apples and Oranges...

[soapbox]

Reading should *never* have received a 99.025 in '09 if judging was .. Judging...

(Same with '04 Cavies getting a 99.150.)

I do agree with the Spreads - but the Scores!?

Please...

(Watch the Vids!)

No corps, junior or senior, ever deserved that kind of "almost perfect" score...

(Again, watch the Vids!)

Slotting is just as bad as the Tick System - and Politics plays just as great a role as ever, despite *Honest* efforts to the contrary.

For the most part, now the 2nd or 3rd show of the season defines Finals Placement...

(Of course, there are "Exceptions To The Rule" - as some will be more than happy to point out!)

Heh...

But the days when The Kilties, for example, could go from 4th at the VFW Prelims in 1964 to winning the Whole Enchilada are long gone...

(When's the last time a 4th place corps at *any* National Semis/Prelims won a Championship since then!?)

[/soapbox]

Ok, gotta go - I know my my Asbestos Dr Dentons are around here somewhere...

Heh...

• Like 1

Corps no longer completing 67 corps GONE from the frist DCA to today Pa.leads with 19corps ,followed by New York with !2 corps and Canada with 11 corps.<BR>Canadain Commanders Ca.<BR>Les Dips Ca.<BR>Interstatesmen N.Y.<BR>Yankee Rebels MD.<BR>Pittsburg Rockets Pa.<BR>Acher -Epler Musketeers Pa.<BR>Les Metropolitians Ca.<BR>Rochester Crusadors N.Y.<BR>Syarause Brigadiers N.Y.<BR>Bonnie Scots Pa.<BR>Candian Ambassadors <BR>New York Skyliners N.Y.<BR>Hamburg Kingsmen N.Y.<BR>Springfield Marksmen Ma.<BR>Guelph Royalaries Ca.<BR>Reilly Raiders Pa.<BR>Kawartha Kavaliers <BR>Erie Thunderbirds Pa.<BR>O.Y.B.Lamplighters <BR>Boys of 76 <BR>Conn.Yankees Ct.<BR>Boston Renagades Ma.<BR>Rode Island Matadors R.I.<BR>Hanover Lancers Pa.<BR>Emmaus Sentinels Pa.<BR>Phoenix N.Y.<BR>Dunkirk Patriots N.Y.<BR>B.S Golden Kights N.J.<BR>Blue Rock De.<BR>Dipolmats Johnsburg Pa.<BR>Les Ambassadors Ca.<BR>Chicago Connection Ill.<BR>Southwind ,Balitmore Md.<BR>Westshoremen Pa.<BR>Wind Gap Blue Eagles Pa.<BR>Le Clique Allouette Ca.<BR>Ohio Brass Factory <BR>Hersey Choclatiers Pa.<BR>Esquires Pa.<BR>Princemen Ma.<BR>Tyrone Guard Pa.<BR>Renaissance <BR>Regionaires Ca.<BR>Criterions N.Y.<BR>Defenders ,Troy <BR>Les Odyssee ,Montrel Ca.<BR>Les Cascadeurs Montrel Ca.<BR>General Bulter Vagabonds Pa.<BR>Keystoners Pa.<BR>C.M.CC Warriors NYC<BR>Warriors .Lewiston .Maine <BR>Kights Of Noble Calihan N.Y.<BR>Hamiton Knights MD.<BR>Chiacgo Vanguard Ill. <BR>Fitchburg Kingsmen Ma.<BR>Chieftains ,Pa. <BR>Excalbur Pa.<BR>Sound Of Long Island <BR>Capital Brass Ensemble NY<BR>Les Dynamics ,Que <BR>Sound Wave Pa.<BR>Grey Knights Pa.<BR>Heat Wave Fl.<BR>Generations RI.<BR>Bayou City Brass TX.<BR>Allengheny Night Storm Pa.<BR>Frontier Tx.<BR>Mo.Valley Express Pa. <BR>Looking thur an older year book these are all Corps that completed in a DCA champion ship at one time .

Edited by Florida Sun

Wild list: off the top of my head..

Bonnie Scots and Westshoremen were the same corps with 2 different names over the years.

Brigs are listed but they came back.

Yankee-Rebels (hoo boy), one competed 1946-1977 but competed at 77 DCA as Southwind (only show ever under that name - long story). Then the Y-Rs that competed ca 1980 was another group with the same name (so I've been told).

Corps no longer completing 67 corps GONE from the frist DCA to today Pa.leads with 19corps ,followed by New York with !2 corps and Canada with 11 corps.<BR>Canadain Commanders Ca.<BR>Les Dips Ca.<BR>Interstatesmen N.Y.<BR>Yankee Rebels MD.<BR>Pittsburg Rockets Pa.<BR>Acher -Epler Musketeers Pa.<BR>Les Metropolitians Ca.<BR>Rochester Crusadors N.Y.<BR>Syarause Brigadiers N.Y.<BR>Bonnie Scots Pa.<BR>Candian Ambassadors <BR>New York Skyliners N.Y.<BR>Hamburg Kingsmen N.Y.<BR>Springfield Marksmen Ma.<BR>Guelph Royalaries Ca.<BR>Reilly Raiders Pa.<BR>Kawartha Kavaliers <BR>Erie Thunderbirds Pa.<BR>O.Y.B.Lamplighters <BR>Boys of 76 <BR>Conn.Yankees Ct.<BR>Boston Renagades Ma.<BR>Rode Island Matadors R.I.<BR>Hanover Lancers Pa.<BR>Emmaus Sentinels Pa.<BR>Phoenix N.Y.<BR>Dunkirk Patriots N.Y.<BR>B.S Golden Kights N.J.<BR>Blue Rock De.<BR>Dipolmats Johnsburg Pa.<BR>Les Ambassadors Ca.<BR>Chicago Connection Ill.<BR>Southwind ,Balitmore Md.<BR>Westshoremen Pa.<BR>Wind Gap Blue Eagles Pa.<BR>Le Clique Allouette Ca.<BR>Ohio Brass Factory <BR>Hersey Choclatiers Pa.<BR>Esquires Pa.<BR>Princemen Ma.<BR>Tyrone Guard Pa.<BR>Renaissance <BR>Regionaires Ca.<BR>Criterions N.Y.<BR>Defenders ,Troy <BR>Les Odyssee ,Montrel Ca.<BR>Les Cascadeurs Montrel Ca.<BR>General Bulter Vagabonds Pa.<BR>Keystoners Pa.<BR>C.M.CC Warriors NYC<BR>Warriors .Lewiston .Maine <BR>Kights Of Noble Calihan N.Y.<BR>Hamiton Knights MD.<BR>Chiacgo Vanguard Ill. <BR>Fitchburg Kingsmen Ma.<BR>Chieftains ,Pa. <BR>Excalbur Pa.<BR>Sound Of Long Island <BR>Capital Brass Ensemble NY<BR>Les Dynamics ,Que <BR>Sound Wave Pa.<BR>Grey Knights Pa.<BR>Heat Wave Fl.<BR>Generations RI.<BR>Bayou City Brass TX.<BR>Allengheny Night Storm Pa.<BR>Frontier Tx.<BR>Mo.Valley Express Pa. <BR>Looking thur an older year book these are all Corps that completed in a DCA champion ship at one time .

Steel City Ambassadors.Some of the PA corps have gone/comback as Alumni and Parade corps.Johsonburgh Grey Knights,Erie Thunderbirds,Steel City Ambassadors and us, Mon Valley Express.We're actually having our best year musically.Yes the Bucs great success does take out some of the mystery of who's going to take it all,but Sunday night is still one heck of a show!