** Food For Thought - DCA Open Class

"What's most interesting about your list is if bushwhackers cannot secure a finalist spot or Fusion cannot jump up to overthrow a open class corps spot this could be the first season ever where the voting block majority will be from outside the north east. Kind of makes u wonder."

Hallelujah!!! Finally a chance to grow the organization! New ideas and goals for a change!

Rice

• Like 2

Exactly my point! The six corps from outside of the NE now have the control necessary to make decisions that will help expand the activity nationwide!

If the rules aren't changed at the last minute that is....................................?

Rice

I think the Top 10 have the voting rights...?

Based on last year:

5 Northeast corps

5 non-Northeast corps - including Kidsgrove

(Did Kidsgrove attend the Rules Congress?)

2011 won't change the tie, but there's no Rules Congress this year so it doesn't matter.

2012 will be the next Rules Congress, so next year's Finals could change things.

But I doubt all the non-Northeast corps will vote in a block anyway....

IMO, DCA is going out of its way to help everybody - especially Class A corps.

But if the corps can't afford to travel, there's not much they can do.

You can't force a corps to go to any competition - even DCAs.

(Going to Md next year is probably a big deal for some financially.)

• Like 1

Top 10 highest scoring North American corps (no matter of class) are the voting members.

Based on last year:

5 Northeast corps

2011 won't change the tie, but there's no Rules Congress this year so it doesn't matter.

2012 will be the next Rules Congress, so next year's Finals could change things.

• Like 1

Based on last year:

5 Northeast corps

It's a little difficult for me to feel financial sympathy for a corps from the NE that has to travel 300 miles to attend a show in Maryland, when corps from all over the U.S. have been traveling thousands of miles over the last ten years to attend shows in the NE.

Rice

• Like 1

So essentially you hope that the Rules Congress votes what shows corps participate in? Is that what you think should be done?

It's a little difficult for me to feel financial sympathy for a corps from the NE that has to travel 300 miles to attend a show in Maryland, when corps from all over the U.S. have been traveling thousands of miles over the last ten years to attend shows in the NE.

Well, it's not like the NE is where the fan base is or anything...

Rice

out of the 21 or 22 corps attending finals this year, about half are from the traditional NE area,.............the season is only about 10 total weeks long,.............a study on another thread revealed that the average number of competitions attended by a cotps in about 6 or 7 circuit wide,.............logic will indicate if you have a choice to travel about 200 or 600 or more miles on a given weekend to be judged, you would choose 200,..............there are 13 contests in the NE this year,................why is this so hard to understand? :blink:

Rice

You missed my point:

No corps *has* to travel anywhere.

That some traveled "thousand of miles over the last ten years to attend shows in the NE" was strictly voluntary.

If corps they want to have closer shows, DCA is certainly not stopping them.

Heck, DCA has even provided sheets and training for judging senior corps as far away as California!

They didn't have to do that - they wanted to do that.

But DCA doesn't have the cash (or sponsors) DCI does, and cannot put on shows like DCI does.

They even have to contract out recording! They have no Tom Blair...

Management works for basically nothing, most Staff is volunteer, and almost all money taken in is dispersed among the member corps at the end of the year.

Second point:

Lack of regular competition against NE corps certainly hasn't hurt MBI.

(Or Kidsgrove or Inspires)

Everyone starts with Zero at Prelims...

Last point:

The vast majority of Senior Corps have come primarily from the NE since WWII.

It's where the fan base is ("butts in the seats"), due to so many decades of exposure.

(It'll be interesting to see the attendance figures in Md.)

So naturally that's where most of the shows are...

• Like 1

if you go back through the years ,yes the northeast was a hot bed of senior corps .Thats why its still the number on area of the country for All- Age Corps to complete .When i was a kid going to the New York State American Legion show was like going to nationals ,so many junior and senior corps .New York state no longer has a big name junior ,not even sure if or now many juniors are left in the state.Most where feeder corps for the seniors ,now its high school bands .A summer contest schel. would be

Hamden Ct .6/1 Hurcs show

Stradford Ct. 6/6 Ct,Yankees show

Boston 6/13 Mission Drums

Brigs Show 6/20

Bridgeport 6/27 Barum

and thats just June 5 contest

add Grand Prix

Lewisburg

Reading

Srcanton

Johnstown

Province

the list just goes on ,not so much anymore

PS i think MD will do very well its a new place for the fans to visit both north n south .plus what ever they can draw local. Plus next year Kids Grove will be back and you also have the Cadet2 entering the mix .

Question how do most feel about the fact that Kids Grove gets a vote ?

Edited by Florida Sun