Thread devoted to trashing 70s/80s drum corps

You can go way back to the 60's and corps like the Troopers were doing national tours. DCI didn't invent this. There has never been a mandate for major tours for all corps. This has simply been an excuse used by poorly managed corps when they fold.

Can you name one well managed corps that has folded? I can't.

There are loads of corps out there that had incredible and inspirational leaders, people who would do anything for the corps... but this does not mean they were well managed.

Sure can.....they were called the Star of Indiana.

this post is awful. a true analog of the nastiness i see over and over and over again posted about today's corps and shows, unfortunately.

just ugly.

those of use who love pretty much every era of dci and drum corps are truly lucky, i guess.

I do realize it's not every older person, just a few stuck in the past who can't accept change.

I loved hearing stories from our alumni. I know they had a lot of fun back in the day, and so are we. Just in different ways.

I really do respect all those who came before me, but it's ignorant people like this who just rub me the wrong way. Ya know?

They're not fed any mythology... they COME FROM marching bands.

Finding a kid these days in a world class drum corps that never participated in marching band would be akin to the immaculate conception.

My daughter did....however she is a guard member. Does that count???

Edited by bmroth1

*you're

I'm pretty sure drum corps is JUST as popular now as it was back then. If not more. Which i believe it's light years better and more popular now.

It's because of people like you why i don't like the older people in drum corps who thinks drum corps back in the day was THE BEST.

From all the stories i've heard, i'm glad i wasn't born in your era.

There were 10X more corps then,10X more shows, & 10X more drum corps fans. Drum Corps was very popular then & got a lot of media & press coverage, much more that today. I'm guessing that you are a youngster who was probably born in the '80's & really has no idea what you are talking about. There are a lot of reasons why a lot of people think that drum corps was better back in the day.

• Like 2

There were 10X more corps then,10X more shows, & 10X more drum corps fans. Drum Corps was very popular then & got a lot of media & press coverage, much more that today. I'm guessing that you are a youngster who was probably born in the '80's & really has no idea what you are talking about. There are a lot of reasons why a lot of people think that drum corps was better back in the day.

I think it's better that the corps who couldn't come up with the funds to operate folded.

Could you imagine judges sitting through all of that? Even if it was broken up in 2 or 3 days like BOA Grand Nats, i feel things would be too sloppy and so would the judging.

Besides, more corps means more $$$$ kids would have to dish out. It's already hard enough for kids to afford to march now.

Then that would lead to the size and quality of each corps being less than what it is now. The top corps would probably be around crossmen/colts/Spirits level since all the top players would've been distributed amongst 100+ corps.

There are too many reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea. i personally believe the way things are set up are just fine.

Man, I love '70s Drum Corps, '80s were mighty good too. Didn't see any of the '90s but I'm really getting off on the recordings. I'm not real fond of several shows from the '00s I've heard, but was greatly impressed with a majority. I am vastly enjoying the '10s so far.

While the '50s & '60s were indeed a bit rough, much of what I've heard on Diceman was still enjoyable.

Feel free to bash the early eras all you want, you won't change my mind regarding the music, instruments or styles - but I will think less favorably on those that are adamant in their trashing.

edit: Gah, got sidetracked in my thoughts... it's late y'know? :tongue:

Edited by Tin Guardian

Besides, more corps means more $$$$ kids would have to dish out. It's already hard enough for kids to afford to march now.

Is that some sort of new math ?

You're wrong. There were a ton of really good corps, like black watch, avante garde, defenders, alliance, wausaw story, & many many others. It was a great time for drum corps. Now, not so good.

OK. Just now went and watched ...

1976 Black Watch. It is basically Blue Devils C with easier drill.

1982 Avante Garde.... wow... major intonation issues, and again... a BDC book, especially drums

1977 Defenders... impressive use of laser technology

No idea which Alliance you are referring to and if Wasauw Story was placing below any of the groups above... they couldn't have been all that great.

Again, these guys really did well with the equipment they had to work with and the rigid confines of the activity... but to say they even compared with what is going on these days... not even a rational discussion. If you just took playing technique alone, these corps would be toward the bottom end of today's open class.

The main point is that there are literally hundreds of marching bands that are much better than the corps you have referenced. These have taken the place of many of these drum corps, and frankly do a better job of it.

The newspaper serving Frostbite Falls, Minnesota, the home of Rocky and Bullwinkle, is the Picayune Intellegence.