Thread devoted to trashing 70s/80s drum corps

Okay here we go, why 70s/80s corps were crap compared to today:

allright, my heart's not in it. Some of my sharpest memories are of silly little funny things: like - the "Where's Garfield?" signs in the late 70's at Finals, back when Garfield was finishing 13th in prelims. Funny. Or the noise warning sign at the base of Spirit's drum major podium. Crazy George, well, going Crazy during 27th Lancers performances. Troopers making finals in 79 - nothing negative about Crossmen, just saying - I don't know if I can reacll a more electric crowd moment than that sunny afternoon in Boulder, the anticipation, the excitement, the crowd eruption when the score was announced an Troopers were going to make finals. Elsa's Procession for the first time... Rockford File (hey, did I see a Rockford file in this year's show?)

I'll be first in line to agree that the musical demand and talent is much higher today. But I'll also make the claim that the old dinosaur show designers knew something about how to rouse the crowd that has been largely lost today.

Guess that wasn't much of a trashing job. Okay, remember Scouts '76? First season? Yeah, that show sucked. Look at my avator, he's the guy who arranged that show!

• Like 4

for the record, i love drum corps from every decade and era. 80s and 90s are my favorite, but love the 70s, too. not sure how much longer i'll stick with being a fan because i have my reservations about a lot of what's going on today.

i only said that the amount of negativity on here towards contemporary drum corps far outweighs the negativity towards past decades.

if today's dci performers started the same volume of threads trashing past shows and design trends, the same people constantly deriding and attacking what goes on today would have a collective fit of apoplexy.

imo.

that's all.

..............except to say that Hockey Dad is cool...don't be neg repping him.

Edited by Lance
  • Like 5

Nothing bad to say about the 70s and 80s. Those were the days fans got on their feet and threw babies at the corps. Today Meh...

• Like 4

nothing bad to say about the corps of the past

wish it worked the other way around some times... so much criticism about today's corps and programs

• Like 3

I sometimes think that the nostalgia for the 60's, 70's and 80's resembles the "Good old days," of every generation. I've been attending shows since the 60's and have lots of memories of boring corps. I have an old Stetson Richmond recording of a mid-season show recording from 1968 of the Royal Airs, and there is almost no crowd response throughout the entire show. IMHO every corps did not elicit rabid fan response back in the day. There were plenty of bum shows and plenty of boredom those past years. I've experienced thrills and boredom just about every year.

• Like 3

OHHHHHH I hate 70s and 80s drum corps shows...tthey just stand around and play and when they do move it is in slow motion! And don't get me started on the marching timpani. Ugghhh.... :smile:

• Like 1

I sometimes think that the nostalgia for the 60's, 70's and 80's resembles the "Good old days," of every generation. I've been attending shows since the 60's and have lots of memories of boring corps. I have an old Stetson Richmond recording of a mid-season show recording from 1968 of the Royal Airs, and there is almost no crowd response throughout the entire show. IMHO every corps did not elicit rabid fan response back in the day. There were plenty of bum shows and plenty of boredom those past years. I've experienced thrills and boredom just about every year.

Very true that not every corps elicited a response but for the ones that did........boy did they

HockeyDad, I'm wondering if you were kinda lonely waiting for that Troopers score all by yourself in Boulder, since finals were in Birmingham in 79.

:tongue:

How cool it would have been to have Crossmen AND Troopers in finals. One of those tie thingys would have been handy then!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor