Thread devoted to trashing 70s/80s drum corps

Yeah, while the 70s/80s era of drum corps didn't achieve nearly the same level of technical proficiency demonstrated by the modern era corps, it wouldn't be prudent to "trash" the corps outright.

To be blunt, it's not surprising that the same type of ding dong that constantly negatively attacks modern design trends sees fit to start a negative post, even if in jest.

Also, it could be reverse trolling: post a thread that on the surface seems negative in hopes that it achieves mass praise (and probably more bile against modern drum corps).

VERY lame, and it will not surprise me at all if mods turn the blind eye on a thread that is inherently negative, and serves zero purpose other than to stir the pot. I know this place has been steadily devolving over the last several years, but it's really coming dangerously close to RAMD levels. No one needs to venture a guess as to why corps staffers, directors, designers, etc. to waste their time on these boards like they used to: when DCP was a bit more productive and a lot less pointless.

Mr. Hopkins has been on here several times over the past couple of months. So have corps directors and various other staff addressing concerns about all sorts of things, from equipment malfunctions to on-field emergencies to alumni outreach.....oftentimes starting their own threads, or responding to threads within a couple of hours of their original posting.

If anything, it's becoming more and more apparent how much their eyes are on this place.

Instead of comparing it to RAMD, try fighting fire with fire. Post positively instead of negatively and try to keep it a good place.

Just some advice.

They might do the same show the next year or pretty close to the same show from the previous year. At that time we weren't so bugged about it but I could see it a being kind of redundant, you know?

The buses were pretty gross.

And the food really sucked.

You could smoke on the buses...and drink....and some other stuff.

I did love the gun that went off went the corps started performing. Bring back that gun. So old school.

And I really miss DCI Canada in Hamilton and the Montreal show. And Canadian corps.

... Some of my sharpest memories are of silly little funny things: like - the "Where's Garfield?" signs in the late 70's at Finals, back when Garfield was finishing 13th in prelims. Funny...

For those who weren't there, one sign in the back stands asked "Where's Garfield" and another responded, "Just east of Passaic."

Let's be real. 450+ of those were absolutely painful to listen to, and did about as much visually as a High School ROTC unit.

I can't imagine being a drum corps judge in the 60's and 70's... to get through those marathon shows, let a lone an entire season of that stuff... god bless 'em.

quality > quantity

You're wrong. There were a ton of really good corps, like black watch, avante garde, defenders, alliance, wausaw story, & many many others. It was a great time for drum corps. Now, not so good.

Edited by FlamMan

This doesn't tell the whole story.

DCI change the game sufficiently that only the very best managed and funded corps could survive the expense and rigours of touring. If the local circuits were still active a whole lot of those corps you call poorly managed would still be alive today. The expense of touring left hundreds of corps and thousands of kids behind. Not a success story, IMHO...

This is exactly right. DCI put all of the local circuits out of business. In the long run, this was a bad business decision for DCI & the Drum Corps activity.

The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottles represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.

interesting that so few people know that, but know the phrase "heinz 57" anyway.

sometimes an advertiser hits real gold, eh?

unlike the latest fiasco in advertising in tennis....a big event in canada with women's tennis association professionals and retired "legends" of the game decided this would be a winning "10 words" to draw the crowds in:

"Come for the ladies, stay for the legends"

3413459621-373x500.jpg

Your wrong. There were a ton of really good corps, like black watch, avante garde, defenders, alliance, wausaw story, & many many others. It was a great time for drum corps. Now, not so good.

*you're

I'm pretty sure drum corps is JUST as popular now as it was back then. If not more. Which i believe it's light years better and more popular now.

It's because of people like you why i don't like the older people in drum corps who thinks drum corps back in the day was THE BEST.

From all the stories i've heard, i'm glad i wasn't born in your era.

Your wrong. There were a ton of really good corps, like black watch, avante garde, defenders, alliance, wausaw story, & many many others. It was a great time for drum corps. Now, not so good.

If it's not as good, why are you here then? Just to complain about it on the Internet?

I think DCI today is much stronger than it was back in the 70s and 80s, the corps seem to be much more well off, and the shows are better, at least to my eyes and ears.

*you're

I'm pretty sure drum corps is JUST as popular now as it was back then. If not more. Which i believe it's light years better and more popular now.

It's because of people like you why i don't like the older people in drum corps who thinks drum corps back in the day was THE BEST.

From all the stories i've heard, i'm glad i wasn't born in your era.

this post is awful. a true analog of the nastiness i see over and over and over again posted about today's corps and shows, unfortunately.

just ugly.

those of use who love pretty much every era of dci and drum corps are truly lucky, i guess.

Drum corps is not dying, it is diversifying and expanding.

Drum Corps has been dying a slow death since the early 1980's. Some would say losing 400 drum & bugle corps from 1980 to 2011 would be a quick death. I'm not sure how you call this "expanding".