Thread devoted to trashing 70s/80s drum corps

Like the joys of...

- Pushing a bus

- Playing on ancient equipment held together with duct-tape

- Bologna dinners

- Running out of money mid-tour

- Folding

I only did the bus push thing...and that was a one time deal.

shows are faster, louder, and are better written today

crowds are harder to please with their 8 second attention span. Thanks a lot facebook, TV, video games, and bad parenting.

also, that old style of "play as loud as you can" is why many snobby orchestra musicians view drum corps as terrible, and treat those involved likewise.

Edited by TheClutch
  • Like 1

shows are faster, louder, and are better written today

crowds are harder to please with their 8 second attention span. Thanks a lot facebook, TV, video games, and bad parenting.

also, that old style of "play as loud as you can" is why many snobby orchestra musicians view drum corps as terrible, and treat those involved likewise.

' Never really cared what "orchestra musicians " thought of us. That went under the heading of " if a tree falls in the distant forest, do we know it, can we hear it ? " realm. 'Only cared about what 15- 35,000 enthusiastic die hard " regular folks " thought of our show. But I agree, it's a different time, and the people we're mostly trying to impress now with Corps has all changed as well. Question : are the " orchestra musicians " in today's audiences lighting a fire under the DCI performers and enthusiastically cheering them on in the middle of the shows ? If they are, I'm just not seeing it with how the " orchestra musicians treat those involved "( performers ) today.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

' Never really cared what "orchestra musicians " thought of us. That went under the heading of " if a tree falls in the distant forest, do we know it, can we hear it ? " realm. 'Only cared about what 15- 35,000 enthusiastic die hard " regular folks " thought of our show. But I agree, it's a different time, and the people we're mostly trying to impress now with Corps has all changed as well. Question : are the " orchestra musicians " in today's audiences lighting a fire under the DCI performers and enthusiastically cheering them on in the middle of the shows ? If they are, I'm just not seeing it with how the " orchestra musicians treat those involved "( performers ) today.

DCI is teaching us to take it all way too seriously.

I just saw a video on the site that cannot be named of a recent show in Sherbrooke Quebec. They are working hard to revive the local circuit in that province and having a lot of success. The corps are smaller, OK, but it's obvious the kids and the crowd had a great time. I'll take having a great time over being educated in the intricacies of electronic expressive artistry any day of the week, thanks, and I won't give a rat's ### what an orchestra musician thinks of it in the process.

Why so serious? Lighten up, have fun, make it about the kids and the crowd for a change.

• Like 3

Folding became more popular when drum corps transitioned from what is was in then to what it is today. There were what, 500 corps in the USA in the early 1970's? There are what, 50 today?

Let's be real. 450+ of those were absolutely painful to listen to, and did about as much visually as a High School ROTC unit.

I can't imagine being a drum corps judge in the 60's and 70's... to get through those marathon shows, let a lone an entire season of that stuff... god bless 'em.

quality > quantity

• Like 2

DCI is teaching us to take it all way too seriously.

I just saw a video on the site that cannot be named of a recent show in Sherbrooke Quebec. They are working hard to revive the local circuit in that province and having a lot of success. The corps are smaller, OK, but it's obvious the kids and the crowd had a great time. I'll take having a great time over being educated in the intricacies of electronic expressive artistry any day of the week, thanks, and I won't give a rat's ### what an orchestra musician thinks of it in the process.

Why so serious? Lighten up, have fun, make it about the kids and the crowd for a change.

This is cool. Schools up there don't really have much in the way of marching band programs (my brother-in-law's father is a band director of one of the rare HS marching band programs in Canada), so good to see the community picking this back up.

Its ok. Some of those " snobby orchestra musicians " back then are sometimes found showing me and the Mrs a good bayview table at a Fine Restaurant these days. I make sure to give them a good tip to help them out in their retirement now.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Like the joys of...

- Pushing a bus

- Playing on ancient equipment held together with duct-tape

- Bologna dinners

- Running out of money mid-tour

- Folding

The last 3 never go out of style. You can still see them every season.

Regarding boring..... I have to agree. Thank God I marched in the 70's.

Let me clarify, not in regard to the major shows (DCI Midwest, DCI East, etc.) but the hundreds of smaller local shows. I know some people complain that there are not as many corps around these days but quantity doesn't equate to quality. I went to a local show we were not in in the 70's (to see a certain female :tongue: ) and man, was it was boring except for the one top 12 corp that was there. The other 5 corps were yawners.

Its ok. Some of those " snobby orchestra musicians " back then are sometimes found showing me and the Mrs a good bayview table at a Fine Restaurant these days. I make sure to give them a good tip to help them out in their retirement now.

:spitting:

BAHAHAHAHA

Most of them I know make more money playing the Summer Pops and Lyrical theaters then their long haired music for ladies with blue hair.