Fan Network goo issues

But then you lose revenue for ticket sales.

Andwe know the answer there.

next?

Question. I have the fan network. I also have a quadcore desktop and internet service up to 6 mbps. I have to say the video quality is awfull. The sound is goood and there is no jerky video its just not really clear and will fade in spots. anyone else having this problem. Perhaps the internet speed is not high enough??????

So audiodb, with your engineer knowledge, what's the solution? If it's going to continue to sound like crap, and most of us arent billionaires who can afford to go to every regional, what's the solution besides A) spending the money every year and being ###### off at the sound issues or B) stop spending the money?

DCI really isn't in a place where they can afford to lose more revenue or fans

Or C) realize that a mistake was made, and make drum corps unplugged again (but we know certain egos won't allow THAT to happen).

Amps and synths etc aren't going away.

What will it take to get people to accept and move on. I'm not their biggest fan, but they're here. Other than singing on the field in the early 80's when is the last time a rule wad repealed???

None and this won't be either

Amps and synths etc aren't going away.

What will it take to get people to accept and move on. I'm not their biggest fan, but they're here. Other than singing on the field in the early 80's when is the last time a rule wad repealed???

None and this won't be either

Ok fine it may be here to stay...BUT then the poor use of this equipment should be seriously penalized in a big way...use it at your own risk...then maybe "The Thunderous Goo" will improve...until that happens it will continue to be an issue...

• Like 1

This is a "for the record"...

We present Fan Network broadcasts "as is". We try to capture with fidelity, and with as much "reality" as possible, which means we adjust to try and give the same experience at home as much as possible. We won't intentionally mix specific corps, sounds, etc. In a sense, we don't care about what the content is, rather, we care that it's brought to you *how it is*. All opinions aside, that's our goal, and that's our MO. So to the original post, we aren't trying to "do anything" to the broadcast. We're just trying to capture the event.

Thanks.

But then you lose revenue for ticket sales.

And we know the answer there.

Next?

The revenue lost by putting a few judges in the stands would be minimal.

Well, I did listen to them live in the Alamodome, from different positions. They simply did not amplify the pit as much as, say, Bluecoats late-show, and they did not crank goo to the level of, say, Spirit of Atlanta. Not even close. The contrast between them and the four corps that preceded them was as clear in person as it is on the recordings.

If this was truly the case, then someone (the judges or the staffs) is definitely not doing their job.

Question. I have the fan network. I also have a quadcore desktop and internet service up to 6 mbps. I have to say the video quality is awfull. The sound is goood and there is no jerky video its just not really clear and will fade in spots. anyone else having this problem. Perhaps the internet speed is not high enough??????

The San Antonio stream was pretty bad video-wise for me. When they post the chopped up versions it might be better. In general, though, DCI's streaming provider tries to match the quality of the video to your downstream speed. I have an Internet connection that's theoretically 25mbps, but in the real world stuff is never that fast, and speeds go up and down. I find that the videos switch back and forth between fuzzy and really fuzzy depending on time of day, etc.

At its best, none of the video quality is exceptional. It's not really that much worse than a DVD, but for non-finals shows, the camera placement is usually not optimal. Not sure if it's available to everyone or just folks who bought last year's blu-ray package, but the HD (1080 I think) streams of last year's finals are pretty good, but even my fast computer can't really keep up, and the shifting of quality as bitrate fluctuates is really annoying.

A couple of the early California shows from this season were sourced in 720p, and they are a little sharper than typical, but like I said, none of it is great.

All that said, I've found that watching it on my plasma TV is way better than watching it on the laptop, even if it is VHS quality or worse in some cases.