An electronics explanation for all the haters

Soooooooooooooo don't complain if you are outside of the area that hears what the judges hear.

What do those crappy ###ed seats run for anyway?

those who complain tend to post about it -- those who don't have an issue are much less likely to post "it was ok for me". not minimizing the issue -- just saying that the "evidence" you're citing is not reliable.

If that's true, then can I invoke all the people that are so turned off by electronics that they just don't care enough to post anymore? Or would that just be hypothetical?

• Like 2

Hello DCP, I love all the heated debates on here. It is so nice to see discusssions going on here rather than facebook or some other social networking outlet. However,

....however?

I felt the need to at least take a few moments to address some consistent concerns amongst the DCP community at large. I have some experience in the area of electronics/sound reinforcement as well as brass arranging and sound design.

So do the people implementing and judging A&E in DCI.

If you are not right behind the judges at every venue in their exact spot, please don't complain about the mix.

....what?

Oh, now I understand your previous comment. You like discussion...."however"....don't complain about A&E. I guess we're done here.

• Like 3

If that's true, then can I invoke all the people that are so turned off by electronics that they just don't care enough to post anymore? Or would that just be hypothetical?

you can invoke all you want. in fact you can include people who don't go to drum corps shows at all because they never heard of drum corps. but it doesn't meaningfully help an argument for or against. you have to toss out ALL anecdotal evidence. if you're not going to gather the stats in meaningful way then don't try to use stats. that's the point i was making.

Man, I'm really enjoying your posts more and more, and you use them big words I can't spell :thumbup:

Come on everyone, lets all go pack the judges box then so we can hear it correctly, they'll make room

So the sound is meant for only the judges box and the shows are designed for DVDs and drum corps is meant to be a live event?

mmmmkay

• Like 3

you can invoke all you want. in fact you can include people who don't go to drum corps shows at all because they never heard of drum corps. but it doesn't meaningfully help an argument for or against. you have to toss out ALL anecdotal evidence. if you're not going to gather the stats in meaningful way then don't try to use stats. that's the point i was making.

And that was the point I was making - that you were using hypothetical people who love electronics but never post.

The only evidence we have on this board is the preponderance of posts unhappy with the presence and/or misuse of them.

• Like 1

Did you know that 100% of drum corps fan hate electronics? I heard that from a guy who knows a guy who knows Dan Acheson.

Edited by WOOHOO

Come on everyone, lets all go pack the judges box then so we can hear it correctly, they'll make room

So the sound is meant for only the judges box and the shows are designed for DVDs and drum corps is meant to be a live event?

mmmmkay

drum corps have always tried to optimize their sound for the judges. (horns to the box anyone?)

nothing new here.

the point of the DVDs is that they don't (IMO) suffer from over-gooing. that doesn't happen through magic. someone cared enough to mix the audio to make it actually match the listening experience of the audience NOT the listening experience from the track. i think the FN peeps should do the same.