Best/Worst 2011 Overall Show Design

I like melody just fine, thanks. Thing is, if you look up and down DCI this year, you'll find lots of melodic content. Maybe not as much as you or others might want, but certainly more than we've come to expect in the past several years. It's their presentation of that melodic content that seems outdated and leaves a lot to be desired for my tastes, especially when placed in direct contrast to what's being rewarded in the activity. If this show came out 15-20 years ago, I'd probably love it. I just think there is an opportunity for a corps like them to field a more modern DCI show and still retain the qualities of melody and groove and style that fans respond to, and that can also be rewarded in the activity from a competitive standpoint. That's the balance I'd be far more interested in seeing, and for all I know, maybe that's what they are building up to. I hope it is. But this thread is all about 2011 and I can only comment on what I see and hear from them this year.

I enjoy the melody in their show this year, it is a refreshing break from the rest of the field. I DO understand what you're saying about the sound being "outdated", but I'm not a fan of chop-n-bop or arranging mostly for effect instead of what works for the sake of the music. I mean, I think they arrange for effect, but they don't do it the same way that so many other corps do.

Most corps today throw in a couple of bars of melody here and there to create an effect they want to evoke, then go off to something else. This frequently comes across as something that, while cool, impressive, et cetera, loses the feel of the music completely. It makes you think of a line out of a song, but it doesn't give you the feel of the whole song, just that one line. That doesn't quite work for me.

The old way of arranging was more "play a song" put some drumcorps chords in here and there, add marching percussion, etc.... This kept the feel of the whole piece instead of sampling "happiness, rage, despair, anxiety, or whatever".

Now this isn't my favorite show. I just think it's a great vehicle for them to improve and they're doing a great job for them. The design is pretty good for what it's trying to do. It's not trying to make top 12 or win DCI, it's trying to regain their identity and reverse their competitive demise.

It's similar to what Madison has recently gone through except Madison started higher up the competitive ladder.

As always, I respect your opinion ( and those of my fellow DCPers) and ideas, I just feel differently and hope that people can enjoy reading another perspective. smile.gif

I can understand where you're coming from on this. But. . . it's not about a return to glory days. It's about re-establishing a foundation. You're not gonna see the steeple on the church until you finish the foundation.

Rudderless? Nah. . . just that the rudder had to do a 180 degree turn in cold water. Crowds standing up, melodies being played, kids coming back, excitement in the organization. These are the ingredients that lead to a better future.

It's not leading to a return of Pat Metheny or "Birdland" for the 19th time, or to "non" programming. It's a foundation. Enjoy it for what it is, and look for more next year.

The sun now sets on the bow instead of the stern.

:music:

all the best,

Chuck Naffier

Cool, thanks for saying what I thought you guys were doing! Good job! thumbup.gif

I can understand where you're coming from on this. But. . . it's not about a return to glory days. It's about re-establishing a foundation. You're not gonna see the steeple on the church until you finish the foundation.

Rudderless? Nah. . . just that the rudder had to do a 180 degree turn in cold water. Crowds standing up, melodies being played, kids coming back, excitement in the organization. These are the ingredients that lead to a better future.

It's not leading to a return of Pat Metheny or "Birdland" for the 19th time, or to "non" programming. It's a foundation. Enjoy it for what it is, and look for more next year.

The sun now sets on the bow instead of the stern.

:music:

all the best,

Chuck Naffier

I wish more corps in the semi-finalists/quarter-finalists range would take this approach. Entertain first and foremost. Establish (or re-establish) your brand. Make people notice you and remember you. Then worry about catching up with the big boys.

Say what you want about the Blue Stars, but keep in mind that they hardly ever stand still. They are moving 95% of the time. It is supposed to be a very intense show. But I do think there is a little too much going on all at the same time.

Even though many here may think this is a bad drill design, it is still very demanding, and it is still dirty. Maybe if it was clean, it wouldn't be such a "jumbled mess".

And I disagree with those saying SCV is bad. I like their show a lot better than last year's show.

• Like 2

Honestly, that's what concerns me. Good luck. I hope it all works out.

I think he meant a more complex show next year. You know, similar to what Madison is being successful with. rolleyes.gif

Say what you want about the Blue Stars, but keep in mind that they hardly ever stand still. They are moving 95% of the time. It is supposed to be a very intense show. But I do think there is a little too much going on all at the same time.

Even though many here may think this is a bad drill design, it is still very demanding, and it is still dirty. Maybe if it was clean, it wouldn't be such a "jumbled mess".

And I disagree with those saying SCV is bad. I like their show a lot better than last year's show.

fly me to the moon.....

Blue Stars hornline is incredibly powerful, sadly they've got the electronics cranked up so loud that they get buried.

Same goes for Spirit of Atlanta.

• Like 1

Sticking to Original Topic, slightly modified:

Weak Design:

Blue Stars - Still ok, but no where near the stellar design Blue Stars have been bringing since 2008. Way too much sameness through this show, and the visual program is far too compact

I would love to see what the judges would do at Prelims if this corps did not bring out the scaffolding and just marched the show really clean without it. Would they just give them the same old "mailed-in" scores, or would we see a serious shift in their placement?

I don't think their staff would have the ba!!s to do this, but it would be interesting to see what would happen.

Edited by noneofyourbusiness

Cadets are fantastic, I only wonder if: When Demons and Angels are spinning flags and weapons, wouldn't they have a distinctive difference in style and movement vs. exact unison equipment books???

Cadets are great this year, lucky for the fans...! I'm just saying... :satisfied:

I read this and thought about as I watch the guard at East.

The demons definitely stay in character even when spinning unison work with the angels.

I understand the point you're making but I don't have an issue with the unison effect supporting the musical phrase.