West Chester - The Best Chester

Yea, that's kinda baked. I had BD up in all music captions, Cadets in all visual captions, with guard goign either way (both BD and Cadets guards are fantastic). I had Cavies way down to both BD and Cadets in all areas. Caves show is ok, they jsut don't play or move as well as either of the top two, nor is it as entertaining.

And no corps has a better music ensemble that BD.

So Yogi, do you think simplistic and clean should be rewarded higher then extremely difficult with some mistakes? And what about a corp that was taking first in percussion and only getting better but now ranked 3rd, 4th, or even 5th on some nights? No bias? Pretty obvious to me!

Cadets may have more going on than BD, but calling it simplistic is overkill.

• Like 2

So Yogi, do you think simplistic and clean should be rewarded higher then extremely difficult with some mistakes? And what about a corp that was taking first in percussion and only getting better but now ranked 3rd, 4th, or even 5th on some nights? No bias? Pretty obvious to me!

It's very simple. The judges are judging based on what they see. If you see a corps doing nearly flawless drill, thats clearly the reason for victory.

As much as i hate seeing such an easy (compared to the other 2) show winning, you cant argue with quality unfortunately..

Execution and innovation are the key to winning. When you have 4 corps trying to be innovative, execution is what separates the good corps and the great corps

• Like 1

It's very simple. The judges are judging based on what they see. If you see a corps doing nearly flawless drill, thats clearly the reason for victory.

As much as i hate seeing such an easy (compared to the other 2) show winning, you cant argue with quality unfortunately..

Execution and innovation are the key to winning. When you have 4 corps trying to be innovative, execution is what separates the good corps and the great corps

Well I agree with some of your points but think there should be more value given to innovation and difficulty. Unless of course it's extremely dirty, then clean wins. I wouldn't consider Cavs or Cadets to be extremely dirty though. SCV percussion has a very difficult show that they are playing extremely clean but are not being rewarded! Thoughts?

• Like 1

So where is the tipping point??? To make fans happy do we ask all the corps to do stupid hard shows that are executed at a mediocre level?? I'm not saying that anybody is mediocre right now... but from the sound of it thats what a lot of people would like to see. I, personally, like to see a flawless product. It is more impressive to see a hard show executed perfectly over a ridiculously hard show with mistakes. Thats just me...

• Like 1

Well I agree with some of your points but think there should be more value given to innovation and difficulty. Unless of course it's extremely dirty, then clean wins. I wouldn't consider Cavs or Cadets to be extremely dirty though. SCV percussion has a very difficult show that they are playing extremely clean but are not being rewarded! Thoughts?

SCV's percussion does indeed play clean. They may indeed play a difficult book, but it's really a lot of the same thing over and over. Also, when coupled with the brass it's really not good at all from and ensemble music standpoint. Frankly, I thought SCV's best section was the color guard tonight, though what they are doing isn't really working well with the brass, percussion or drill. I really thought it was mainly a jumbled mess.

Cavies, Cadets, and BD are all pretty clean. I'd have BD and Cadets ahead of Cavies in all areas though.

• Like 1

I agree with that. As much as i love BD, i would like to see them finish 3rd. Simply because i think Cadets and Cavaliers shows are a lot easier to watch.

As for SCV? Im not a drummer, but id imagine they're amazing, especially since Rennick is there now. Maybe because other drumlines are playing better?

From what ive heard, it should Be SCV and Cavaliers as far as drumlines.. I saw an argument on facebook about people saying BDs drumline has no business being where they are

• Like 2

I wouldn't put SCV's percussion book, in terms of difficulty, on the same level as BD, Bluecoats, Cadets or Cavies. I think they are going to be the 6th or 7th place drumline at finals.

• Like 1

Yogi, thanks for your thoughts and I agree with your opinion on drums. We'll have to see how it all ends up next week. WOW, the season flew -by!!!