Your Feelings on the Activity

Been hit on this a few times from people ###-u-ming things so thought I'd open this up for others that feel the same way.

Long story short, I don't go to DCI shows anymore because I don't feel it's worth my time, effort (long story) and money to go anymore. Since we can't read voice inflections from a post I'll explain that's not a complaint but stating a fact. Still care about the activity and hope it survives (think all corps pieces need to be healthy), still care about the members but just don't care about the shows enough to attend. So no screaming, foaming at the mouth, etc.... it's more like a *shrug*.

Kinda like having two resturants tha serve (for example) chili. You like one place but not the other. You don't hope the other place goes under or B-word "that ain't chili", you just don't go. And you don't flip out is your friends go there.

PS - Walked away from all corps for 10 years in the early 1990s. Middle of a show (not a corps) I walked out cuz I was bored and had better things to do with my time. No screaming, no shouting, just *shrug* enough of this. Scarey part is once you leave it's almost impossible to come back. I came back (partially) only do to a bunch of co-incidences.

OK - Opening up to the Peanut Gallary...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Been hit on this a few times from people ###-u-ming things so thought I'd open this up for others that feel the same way.

Long story short, I don't go to DCI shows anymore because I don't feel it's worth my time, effort (long story) and money to go anymore. Since we can't read voice inflections from a post I'll explain that's not a complaint but stating a fact. Still care about the activity and hope it survives (think all corps pieces need to be healthy), still care about the members but just don't care about the shows enough to attend. So no screaming, foaming at the mouth, etc.... it's more like a *shrug*.

Kinda like having two resturants tha serve (for example) chili. You like one place but not the other. You don't hope the other place goes under or B-word "that ain't chili", you just don't go. And you don't flip out is your friends go there.

PS - Walked away from all corps for 10 years in the early 1990s. Middle of a show (not a corps) I walked out cuz I was bored and had better things to do with my time. No screaming, no shouting, just *shrug* enough of this. Scarey part is once you leave it's almost impossible to come back. I came back (partially) only do to a bunch of co-incidences.

With all due respect, I'm pretty sure you know where this thread is going to lead.

There were about three years in early 2000s after my last year in drum corps that I didn't go to shows, and it was because I was deployed overseas and could not go. I kick myself to this day that I couldn't see those shows live. It was not hard at all for me to return because I missed it a lot. While I respect the decisions and opinions of people who have given up on the activity, I still think you're missing out. My .02 cents.

Eh... Wouldn't be the first time I've had to close a thread... :cool:

Bottom line for me is I know what I like, what I don't like and how much I care either way. (And I'll leave that thought as is.) Also the older one gets the more real life interferes with doing the the things you like. So more and more you have to pick and choose what you can do for entertainment.

This year real life is hitting a bunch of family members so only DC we're seeing this year is a couple of standstills. And even with that we have to take extra steps to be able to attend (and hope the phone doesn't ring). You just learn to appreciate what you can do and what's still around.....

Edit: Also applies to Mondos post with the addition that I always thought I'd be attending shows too. Ya stick around long enough (for me 37 years of DC) and anything can happen...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Pgoing to shows. have a great dayS - Walked away from all corps for 10 years in the early 1990s. Middle of a show (not a corps) I walked out cuz I was bored and had better things to do with my time. No screaming, no shouting, just *shrug* enough of this. Scarey part is once you leave it's almost impossible to come back. I came back (partially) only do to a bunch of co-incidences.

i just would like to say to you we all are adults and can decide what we want to do and how we spend our time and money. looks like thats what you are doing. i am like cadet 2000 i cant imagine not going to shows.

Edited by mondocane1970
  • Like 2

Well I guess that it's still not too bad, although there are some things that I don't personally care for (electronics, vocals etc.). I just have a hard time getting used to the fact that it's so much more different today than it was back when I marched. There weren't many bandos back then, hardly any college music majors, no auditions (they just grabbed you off the street) and touring wasn't as intense. With that said, you could take someone now long dead who marched way back in the 50's to a Drum Corps show and they would probably know what they were watching.

I've been involved / around drum corps since 1970

I've been a high school band director since 1978

I have a friend that has been a "friend of DCI" since around 85 or so.

In my younger years it was nothing for a few friends to decide on a Thursday night to drive from New Orleans to Wisconsin on Friday. This old body just can't do that anymore.

I tried for a long time to make at least 3-4 shows a year and finals every other year ( made for some great vacations in different parts of the country )

Today, if I go to a show I usually stay in the lot and see friends I have of different staffs. It's difficult to sit and watch a show without picking out major flaws in design. Thats just me. I'm old and grumpy. Even if I'm sitting on the 50, there is usually someone sitting near me that either won't shut up or drips their nacho cheese sauce on me as they make their 4th trip back to their seat from the consession stand. :devil:

If you don't have seats between the 45's you usually get a very unbalanced sound. Thats not pleasent to me.

My friend always has a group of tickets on the fifty for Muf. / Allentown / Finals. He always offers them to me but for me it's too expensive of a trip to any of them.

For me, the best thing DCI has done is offer the Fan Network and the Theater showings. I may be spoiled being able to sit in the AC with a restroom 10 feet away ( any older male who has prostate problem understands ) :thumbup:

As long as I can visit the lot to get my diesel fix once a year, I'm happy to watch on Fan Network or in the theater.

I still love the activity with all my heart but I just don't like being jammed into seats with a bunch of other hot and sweaty people

• Like 1

For me, the best thing DCI has done is offer the Fan Network and the Theater showings. I may be spoiled being able to sit in the AC with a restroom 10 feet away ( any older male who has prostate problem understands ) :thumbup:

Or those of us on water pills for blood pressure... :shutup: Nothing like knowing where you have to stop between home and Rochester for DCA. Hoping some day DCA gets the resources for Fan Network but may be a long wait with their budget. Wonder if they have volunteer jobs for when I go to partial retirement in a few years.

Or those of us on water pills for blood pressure... :shutup: Nothing like knowing where you have to stop between home and Rochester for DCA. Hoping some day DCA gets the resources for Fan Network but may be a long wait with their budget. Wonder if they have volunteer jobs for when I go to partial retirement in a few years.

we all handle thngs in different ways.

I've been around drum corps since the pre-DCI days, and back in the late 1990s I took my family to the DCI Championship. (I won't mention the particular year.)

That was the first time I was ever bored with drum corps. There were few corps that impressed me and thrilled me the way I was used to being thrilled by drum corps.

For the first time I could actually see distancing myself from the activity that I had been a part of for so long.

But...........I have to say that the corps in 2011 are VASTLY more entertaining than they were then!!! When I took my family to DCI Minnesota this year, the enjoyment/thrill level

was exponentially superior to what we had seen a decade or more earlier.

Hats off to the drum corps of 2011!!!!!!!:thumbup:

• Like 5