Your Feelings on the Activity

Time and money. There are not any shows in NC anymore (well, Rock Hill is close enough) and I'm not going down to Summerville SC (isn't it near Charleston?). DCI isn't the problem in this it's just really hard to make it to shows year in and year out; heck, I'm surprised so many people can go to 6+ shows a year with gas prices so high and the economy still in the crapper.

Edited by c.l.

I didn'tgo for a few years. I got lured back in ( insert Al Pacino in III) becausea former student marched in 06. But I have to be honest...until thisyear, I had no overwhelming desire to go like I used to. Yeah, life gets in the way, it's more expensive,...

Life does get in the way. Glad to hear someone acknowledge that one element influencing our enthusiasm is the competition for our time and attention.

Back in the golden days, no drum corps came to my quaint but obscure town in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia. Instead we had to settle for a high school band competition. Didn't matter a lick to us. Much of the town turned out anyway. Why? Because there was nothing better to do that night - indeed that entire weekend.

Today we have mega-plex movie theaters, cable television and tablet computers that take entertainment wherever you go. My kids have dance camp and football camp and camp camp. We think nothing of traveling hundreds of miles to a neice's wedding and making a week of it in the process. Then there's work which stopped being 9-5 sometime around when the golden age ended. Yes, the golden age was simpler.

Our specific impressions of drum corps are one thing. The truth is something more. The truth is our enthusiasm for drum corps reflects more than just what's on the field.

HH

Cool, Grandpa. If so inclined, come back and provide us a review. I'd be interested in your take... both good and/ or bad.

I'm going to another DCI show tonite, and if time permits I might post some thoughts on it.

I will post on Monday or so after we get back. It's a 7 - 8 hour drive home on Sunday. I'm getting excited for it, I have to admit.

Same here. I think Corps currently ranked 8th- 14th here in 2011 are the most entertaining collective group of Corps in this grouping in years and years. Now,.. if somebody that hasn't seen or heard these Corps... either live or on Fan Network... wants to tell me they're " boring " or whatever, they are certainly entitled to comment on something they havn't seen nor heard. And I'm entitled to chuckle at the absurdity of commenting on something neither seen nor heard as well. Thats my ssssstory.. and I'm ssssstickin' to it.

you are entitled. But if someone disagrees or chuckles with your view....

:shutup:

Life does get in the way. Glad to hear someone acknowledge that one element influencing our enthusiasm is the competition for our time and attention.

Back in the golden days, no drum corps came to my quaint but obscure town in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia. Instead we had to settle for a high school band competition. Didn't matter a lick to us. Much of the town turned out anyway. Why? Because there was nothing better to do that night - indeed that entire weekend.

Today we have mega-plex movie theaters, cable television and tablet computers that take entertainment wherever you go. My kids have dance camp and football camp and camp camp. We think nothing of traveling hundreds of miles to a neice's wedding and making a week of it in the process. Then there's work which stopped being 9-5 sometime around when the golden age ended. Yes, the golden age was simpler.

Our specific impressions of drum corps are one thing. The truth is something more. The truth is our enthusiasm for drum corps reflects more than just what's on the field.

HH

and if that enthusiam wanes, the corps suffer. And that enthusiasm has waned for many.

I said it before..I used to have 7 shows within 2 hours of me. just DCI. Now I have 3. the ability to get out and see hasbeen reduced for manybecause of the tour setup. That is a factor.

you are entitled. But if someone disagrees or chuckles with your view....

:shutup:

No.. thats fine too. I only get my sharpened pitchfork out for very special occasions on here, Jeff ( like the G8 power point prez scheme nonsense last year. ) Do you think I try and beat up on someone that disagrees with me on here ? or am generally intolerant of their views or opinions on here, while simultaneously expressing my own ? Just asking.

Edited by BRASSO

No.. thats fine too. I only get my sharpened pitchfork out for very special occasions on here, Jeff ( like the G8 power point prez scheme nonsense last year. ) Do you think I try and beat up on someone that disagrees with me on here ? or am generally intolerant of their views or opinions on here, while simultaneously expressing my own ? Just asking.

yes

:tongue:

I think it often depends on the topic.

I said it before..I used to have 7 shows within 2 hours of me. just DCI. Now I have 3. the ability to get out and see hasbeen reduced for manybecause of the tour setup. That is a factor.

Pfft - try living in Canada. For me it's 1 1/2 hours to the border just to get into the country that has any shows at all....

Except for alumni corps, which are thriving, my region of Canada is a virtual wasteland for drum corps now. Considering the fact that we once had 3 corps in my town alone, another 4 in a town 10 miles west from here another in a town 5 miles south of here, etc etc, it's a pretty sad situation.

yes

:tongue:

I think it often depends on the topic.

Oh brother, I've stepped on it on here, huh ?

Edited by BRASSO

LOL, I'm glad you didn't back off as it forced me to examine my feelings towards this more deeply.

And I'd join you and Mike for coffee....

Hey, if you think that I'm going to now buy the TWO of you coffee ,then you've just stretched my goodwill and my budget to the limit you know ?