Warrenton, VA

Are you talking show design or performance level?

I would say that the DESIGN could fit into what was looked for in a show in the late 80s.

I like the design for sure, but I don't see top 6 performance.

That's all I'm saying. I'm glad that you have so much positive to say about them and I don't want to be negative, but I think this design will get them going in the right direction to move up later! It's a fun show for the audience and the performers ( I would guess, if they appreciate good audience reaction).

Both.

And OK, I'll revise to say it could have been "Top 8" in 1997, to be fair. Because everything below the Cavaliers (7th) in 1997 was pretty atrocious. Listen to the Glassmen in 1997 and every corps below that, and then listen to the Crossmen this year and it's pretty close to that level. There was nothing special about show design beyond the Cavies that year, and even that is a stretch considering the ultimate failure that show eventually was.

Anyway.. this is just my opinion, because in my view, drum corps has come a long way in the past two decades. I've watched the progress personally each and every year for the past 15 seasons, and I just think their design is way far off from where it needs to be in 2011. But it is enjoyable to me because it brings back memories of how things used to be in the 90's...

Both.

And OK, I'll revise to say it could have been "Top 8" in 1997, to be fair. Because everything below the Cavaliers (7th) in 1997 was pretty atrocious. Listen to the Glassmen in 1997 and every corps below that, and then listen to the Crossmen this year and it's pretty close to that level. There was nothing special about show design beyond the Cavies that year, and even that is a stretch considering the ultimate failure that show eventually was.

So are you saying the Crossmen and pretty atrocious this year? devil.gif

There are years Xmen might have been a finalist with this show, but not too many. Spirit has a finalist show and has been performing like a finalist for several weeks. They seem to have never leveled off. Glassmen seemed Better than last I saw them, but the show doesn't work. Yes, Troopers have an emotional but safe show. Think Spirit can maybe move up a spot over Stars with Troopers 13th and Glassmen 14th

Both.

Anyway.. this is just my opinion, because in my view, drum corps has come a long way in the past two decades. I've watched the progress personally each and every year for the past 15 seasons, and I just think their design is way far off from where it needs to be in 2011. But it is enjoyable to me because it brings back memories of how things used to be in the 90's...

I will agree that I enjoyed them this year too. I can tell you that every year, I can "tell" a top design, even in rough form; a design that will compete for finals based on what I see and hear from a corps. It doesn't matter what the year is. I've been right pretty much every year. What I heard from Crossmen wasn't quite there for this year, and the present performance level and design combines wouldn't get them in for any year that I can think of in the past. Maybe really close to 12th, but not quite.

The biggest jump I've ever witnessed was probably Suncoast Sound 1989, with their Florida Suite II show. That started out really rough, but made finals with one of the smallest modern hornlines ever. They started out in the low 50s, dirty, and with lots of holes. They broke 90 at semifinals and then earned an 88 at finals. That show had a finals quality to it in design and by the time I saw them in performance later in the season I could tell that they'd likely make it even with all the other corps in the mix. Crossmen didn't seem like to me this year, and it wasn't because their design was lacking. It's just a rebuilding year. As far as '97, Blue Knights had a pretty darned good hornline even though they were rebuilding... I would put Crossmen around 14th and dueling with Kiwanis Kavaliers. Maybe 13th and Colts. I agree that '97 wasn't one of the best years... ph34r.gif

Edited by jjeffeory

Someone earlier asked about attendance...the place was packed! This show always gets great attendance. It's 2 hours from folks (like me) in Maryland and less than that if you're already in Northern VA. I applaud the DCI Nova folks for again having plenty of butts in the seats.

Interesting note though, that at the intermission, very few people came to the souvie section. It wasn't until after the encore that people really came to buy stuff.

I also want to publicly thank Dick Thompson and the entire Fauquier Band Boosters for inviting our DM to play the National Anthem and allowing us to recruit at the show. Thanks for your support!

We also want to say "hi" to the Blue Knights. Our director met the mother of one of your contra players on a plane a few weeks ago and the young man stopped by our booth and introduced himself.

Edited by Latrobe's Finest
  • Like 1

Don't you get it. We don't care about the scores. The Crossmen are great, the show is great, the kids are great. That's all that matters.

• Like 3

Actually JJeffeory I thought 97 was a really good year. People came off the emotional 96 year hoping for magical shows and I thought it delivered top to bottom. BD was amazing(wish they'd go more that route again) SCV and Cadets were astounding. Madison had maybe my favorite show of theirs behind 88 or 95. Xmen were top 6 with great screamer! Gmen and us(BK) had great shows and battled in finals week. Bluecoats were good, magic, crown etc... Kiwanis made a run at top12. Academie Musicale was really cool. Great corps throughout that summer!

Don't you get it. We don't care about the scores. The Crossmen are great, the show is great, the kids are great. That's all that matters.

I can't agree more. I spoke with a great guy at the Souvie truck the other night, and you could really tell they were having a great season regardless.

I was merely qualifying why they may not be scoring higher, since some people seem to be expecting them too. Again this is a great year for Crossmen, and I'm so glad to have at least a glimpse of the old Crossmen back in town. Wooo!!

I will agree that I enjoyed them this year too. I can tell you that every year, I can "tell" a top design, even in rough form; a design that will compete for finals based on what I see and hear from a corps. It doesn't matter what the year is. I've been right pretty much every year. What I heard from Crossmen wasn't quite there for this year, and the present performance level and design combines wouldn't get them in for any year that I can think of in the past. Maybe really close to 12th, but not quite.

The biggest jump I've ever witnessed was probably Suncoast Sound 1989, with their Florida Suite II show. That started out really rough, but made finals with one of the smallest modern hornlines ever. They started out in the low 50s, dirty, and with lots of holes. They broke 90 at semifinals and then earned an 88 at finals. That show had a finals quality to it in design and by the time I saw them in performance later in the season I could tell that they'd likely make it even with all the other corps in the mix. Crossmen didn't seem like to me this year, and it wasn't because their design was lacking. It's just a rebuilding year. As far as '97, Blue Knights had a pretty darned good hornline even though they were rebuilding... I would put Crossmen around 14th and dueling with Kiwanis Kavaliers. Maybe 13th and Colts. I agree that '97 wasn't one of the best years... ph34r.gif

Please remember this is only your opinion.

No one has. The crystal ball that shows desire ,hard work ,and what changes design teams have in store during the season , and what changes the judging community will call for.

Good opinion though . I would disagree ,I love the 2011 Crossmen .