An odd observation about DCA...

Fran, I remember you getting in my grill about that one time. I thought the Bridgemen were a DCA corps and you corrected me almost immediately. Man those push ups hurt! :tongue:

LOL!!! That's me... a taskmaster. :lol:

Believe me, the alumni corps are great... and like Donny said, that alumni show has been a terrific addition to DCA's championship weekend.... a lot of fun.

And this year, a West Coast alumni corps... the Freelancers... joins the lineup for the first time. :thumbup:

Seriously... I have no problem at all with folks like Doug and others for whom DCA/all-age corps holds no interest. Whatever floats your boat!

On the flip side... I know a number of people who once frowned upon DCA and all-age corps... but have since changed their minds and are either marching with or teaching an all-age corps, or who have become enthuastic fans and supporters.

DCA, DCI, alumni corps... all bring something cool to the table. I'm just glad that all three levels of the activity are still here. I hope I can say the same thing 15, 20, 30 years from now.

• Like 1

Personally I like both circuits, but prefer DCI. As has been said before, participants in DCI corps should be monsters w/ their instruments because they practice basically every day. DCA corps are weekend warriors, but they too have the monster players. I think one of the reasons that DCA's average age is dropping is because in this economy, it is financially smarter for one who is DCI eligible to do DCA. If someone wants to do DCI, they give up an entire summer of earning money to do something they love, which I respect. DCA on the other hand, is weekends only, so a student might have to give up some hours from work, based on where their corps is located, but it is smarter for them to do so.

(This logic comes from someone who is eligible to march DCI, but I can not justify giving up my entire summer for corps)

DCA, DCI, alumni corps... all bring something cool to the table. I'm just glad that all three levels of the activity are still here. I hope I can say the same thing 15, 20, 30 years from now.

THAT I'm positive we can ALL agree on! :thumbup:

Edited by perc2100

(This logic comes from someone who is eligible to march DCI, but I can not justify giving up my entire summer for corps)

LOL, we restarted a defunct corps with half the members in about the same situation...

Psst Fran... ya forgot the Minis..... :cool: Yet another unique piece of the entire activity.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

And yet which circuit is more popular? With a higher degree of excellence? Showcasing YOUNG (not has-been) talent? Oh...

That's DCI.

DCA is what it is. DCI is and will continue to be THE leader in marching music. Sorry.

More popular? yes. because it is a bigger organization.

Higher degree of excellence? yes. DCA is weekends only...they do a good job with the time they have.

Young talent/has been? Well yea there is a age limit thats why they are young. so you suck at playing and marching after age 21? ok.

You are a small minded individual. I cant wait for you to be in your 30s, miss marching and go to a DCA corps. I'll talk to you then.

• Like 1

People can "dislike" this all they want, but it's true.

maybe, but see my last post.

It is hard to believe the lack of respect given to the predecessors of the activity that you kids supposedly love.

The only quibble I have with Donnie's great post is the above. IMO it is FAR more the other way round...oldtimers coming into the DCI forum and dissing what the current members are doing. It is rare that current DCI members wander into the DCA forum to complain about DCA corps.

No surprise that current members might get their backs up and respond in kind.

Both organizations serve their members and audiences VERY well. It is a shame to me that there is any divide. Enjoy each for what they are.

• Like 2

Donny Drum Corps, on 05 August 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

It is hard to believe the lack of respect given to the predecessors of the activity that you kids supposedly love.

The only quibble I have with Donnie's great post is the above. IMO it is FAR more the other way round...oldtimers coming into the DCI forum and dissing what the current members are doing. It is rare that current DCI members wander into the DCA forum to complain about DCA corps.

No surprise that current members might get their backs up and respond in kind.

Both organizations serve their members and audiences VERY well. It is a shame to me that there is any divide. Enjoy each for what they are.

I fall somewhere in between, age-wise, Donny & other old-timers and current members (I aged-out in '98). I agree with you, Mike, but I thought it would prudent to see if anyone else with more...experience...would feel similar to me. While I don't read the DCA forum or Historic drum corps very often, I would venture to guess that the amount of current MM's or recent age-outs don't troll those forums complaining how lame old-school drum corps is compared to modern drum corps: we surely see little of that here.

But, in drum corps we're taught respect for our elders, so many younger folks have that courtesy fresher in their minds than older folks? Or maybe older folks respect elders (and themselves) but feel as if future generations don't rate respect? I don't know, but I agree with you

DCA has more corps in current formation than DCI does.

Please refute their data with yours, we'll be waiting.

DCI: 23 World Class corps,23 Open = 46 (from dci.org)

DCA: 28 member corps, inc Kidsgrove from England. Their site doesn't show who is Open and who is 'A' division (from dcacorps.org)

• Like 1

If DCA continues growth and reaches a point of selectivity similar to Jr. Corps now, wouldn't they quickly overtake DCI?

Imagine not having the blue devils, but having the pick of the Blue Devils greats from an entire decade as the makeup of your corps.

Well, you have the Renegades in proximity to both SCV and the BD (hence 40 years of members to draw from), yet they are smaller this year, from reading here, than the past few years.