Allentown Fan Network Videos?

OMG, Stop !!! Whats left of your credibility is flying right out the window !!! I mean..really ? How do you get your numbers ?

Geoffrey

You know people really don't care about what kind of credibility they have with you right? You've been trying to trash people's credibility since last year, and nothing's really changed. If you can't act like a mature adult on here, maybe it's time for a new hobby? Oh, and typing with text abbreviations really doesn't help your maturity claims. Talk like a big boy please.

The FanNetwork needs a reboot.

First, it is 2015 prices for 2005 quality.

It needs to be completely overhauled with a completely new model.

My suggestion is to develop a solid partnership with Google for both Live events, paid content and advertising supported video.

This needs to be completely rethought, and with a REAL strategy and roadmap.

Right now the event streaming is poor quality and loads of dead air.... loads.... it is not C-SPAN. You have the attention of people, but are wasting it. Insert canned video segments, etc.

Back to Google/YouTube...

They have a GREAT infrastructure for streaming live events...

YouTube Live

They also have a perfect infrastructure for paid content....

YouTube Rentals

They have great partnership programs for earning revenue from advertising on additional content.

The opportunity here is this breaks the FanNetwork out of this isolated island, which is an extremely dated model. It puts the content in an area where it can be potentially discovered by millions of people... dramatically improving both the exposure and revenue potential.

It will also work on devices, set-top boxes, etc.

The best way forward with this would be for DCI to turn it over to a third party that could maximize the potential and guarantee a revenue return. This entity would also be responsible for the video production and distribution and would only get paid if the revenues exceeded certain targets, so they have a VERY strong motivation to make it succeed.

DCI can then focus on their core competency, which is on the event side.

Any of us who have run a profitable business understands these basics. But I continue to think that the FN management, if there is one, has very limited experience and/or credentials with monetizing online media.

The fact that there are no commercials in the live webcast (other than DCI) and you have representatives on here claiming there is no way to make a profit is hilarious.

My bathtub runs Debian... seriously... just saying. The nature of media consumption is quickly changing.

Most of the internet browsing, communication or media consumption that many people I know do is not on a computer... but a wide range of devices. Add to this that connectivity is becoming more or less pervasive.

The issue is really that there are a wide range of devices that run content very similar to the Fan Network and have high quality audio/video capabilities. Only one device, however, the personal computer, can actually run the FN. I would much rather watch the FN from an iPad or on a TV (without awkwardly McGyvering a laptop to the TV) through an Xbox, Apple TV, WDTV, etc. or Airplay type functionality.

Reality is that FN really only works well on Microsoft computers. Flash blows on Mac, especially with the gymnastics required to get it working on Lion. You can forget Linux, unless you're trying on Android... but hogs resources so video is choppy.

Anyway... new devices are quickly changing the way content is consumed. Will computers go away for business... not soon... but consumers... definitely.

I dunno, I have a Media Center PC; a full computer, hooked up to my main TV as well as cable and game systems. I can watch anything this way with no problems. FN would be a pain to use on my old iphone or Android unless there was an app written specifically for that size. FN could work on a tablet great.

What we need is an OPEN standard for video, not some proprietary Apple TV thing or 12 different versions of FN directed to all these different appliance with their bandwidth and other limitations. That's sort of being addressed with HTML 5. It's just going to take time. Once the newer standards are fleshed out and DCI updates their site to use them, everybody can go over their smartphone data plans watching the FN videos. In the mean time, people can watch this on their PCs and hook them up to a nice, big TV at home.

It takes time; we're still in the beginning of this new media. The PC is still going to be here for a long time. Everything else is just extra gravy at this point.

Any of us who have run a profitable business understands these basics. But I continue to think that the FN management, if there is one, has very limited experience and/or credentials with monetizing online media.

The fact that there are no commercials in the live webcast (other than DCI) and you have representatives on here claiming there is no way to make a profit is hilarious.

How many advertisers would really be willing to spend money on commercials during a webcast? Judging by the few advertisers that jumped on the ESPN broadcasts a couple years ago, I'm skeptical about how many would be willing to be a part of the webcasts. It has to make sense to an advertiser, and a niche webcast won't be worth it to most companies.

I think you guys are way overestimating the audience for this service. superOOk, how much would you pay to advertise on the Fan Network?

• Like 1

I just told you how. There is this thing called "The Real World" and no, it's not just a tv show on MTV. In "The Real World", there is a sub culture called "bandos", these bandos talk to other bandos about things like drum corps. I know many bandos and they are happy with the DCI Fan Network.

Yes, you are in a small minority among people I know personally. I know 2... I repeat: 2 out of about 30 something people I know that have the FN, do not like the FN. By my math that is very close to 5%.

FWIW, I don't know you at all, but feel free to count me as someone else who has FN (and has had for the entire history of the venture) as one who is very satisfied with FN. The only complain I can think of as being a constant "issue" with Fan Network is that it 'forces' me to have a party every freaking Saturday of a live stream thus costing me valuable lazy time of toiling away on my couch doing nothing. There have been previous years with constant technical issues, but that was very early in the history of FN and hasn't been an issue in years.

'This (huge) assumption stipulates that DCI has never attempted to have commercials during the broadcast. However, you are completely wrong. In past seasons DCI ran 'commercials' in between corps performances by music companies (Pearl, for example). As this is no longer the case, I would bet (chalk this up to assume on my part) that music companies have not found it worth their time/resources to make a commercial that might be seen by an extremely limited audience. While I'm theorizing, business 101 basics (which you should know, having run a profitable business) says that it is pointless to spend money on a venture that will yield few if any new customers.

As others on this thread of pointed (actually, I'm referring to Mr. DeMello: you know, one of only two people how have posted in this thread who actually work on Fan Network streams), the point of FN is not a money-making venture: quite the opposite, apparently, as Fan Network loses money and will lose money without substantially raising prices for the fans. I'll take their expertise, no matter how laughable it might seem to those who have zero experience working with Fan Network, to those of the arm-chair posters.

• Like 1

Completely different. Dan Acheson is the head of DCI, what he is actually doing remains to be seen.

We get it: you're bitter about DCI. If if you are so blinded by your bias against DCI that you can't see what all Dan A. has done for DCI, then you are to naive to even bother explaining it to... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

FWIW, I don't know you at all, but feel free to count me as someone else who has FN (and has had for the entire history of the venture) as one who is very satisfied with FN. The only complain I can think of as being a constant "issue" with Fan Network is that it 'forces' me to have a party every freaking Saturday of a live stream thus costing me valuable lazy time of toiling away on my couch doing nothing. There have been previous years with constant technical issues, but that was very early in the history of FN and hasn't been an issue in years.

Me too! I wish I didn't have to have friends over every Saturday to watch the shows on Tv, but I do! :tongue: It's worth it. The only problem I've had with Fan Network is Minn. last year, when all I did was look at rain and an empty field for an hour before giving up.... :devil:

How many advertisers would really be willing to spend money on commercials during a webcast? Judging by the few advertisers that jumped on the ESPN broadcasts a couple years ago, I'm skeptical about how many would be willing to be a part of the webcasts. It has to make sense to an advertiser, and a niche webcast won't be worth it to most companies.

There was some advertising on some of the webcasts that I watched. It's a start and if you want advertising, please keep it subtle. The Denver webcast was a very good balance. I'd like to see it again. I'll try to make time for Aug. 9 and 12 webcasts. I've also watched the webcast of DCE finals in September for 2 years; gotta wake up very early though; it's good too :-)