Grandpa's Allentown Synopsis

sounds like you might have spoken to Dr. Jones. another Bridgemen alumnus who is now tech'ing the lower brass section of Bones!! and yes, a very nice guy!!!

and as one of those Banana's from that very wet night. MAN I WISH I COULD DO IT ALL AGAIN RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

These guys were not old enough to be Bridgemen alumni. My guess is that they didn't age out all that long ago. I didn't even think to ask what section they taught, but I really enjoyed the chat and appreciated them taking the time to answer a couple of questions from an old geezer. They are great ambassadors for their corps.

Now worries on us not being around.. the Bridgemen are back and plan to stay...... Plus with our new feeder corps connection to Jersey Surf, it's a sure thing times 10!!

making it out to Semi's or Finals week however is another issue. I mean we only practice about 20 times a year. so trying to get everyone out to IN might be a logistical nightmare for the powers that be. < IMO >

It would take a lot of planning and a lot of hard work but somebody has to fill that spot...!

Plus with our new feeder corps connection to Jersey Surf, it's a sure thing times 10!!

Hello???? :smile:

Hello???? :smile:

LOL guess you have not read the announcement... take a look at surf's site. we announced the connection between the Bridgemen and NJ Surf back in June!!

better yet, here you go. http://www.jerseysurf.org/articles/245/1/The-Bayonne-Bridgmen-and-Jersey-Surf-Establish-Partnership-in-Success/Page1.html

Edited by Drack1cba

If I lived anywhere near NJ I'd be asking for a membership application.

EDIT - by the way - I ran into a former Bridgmen director at the Ham Fam restaurant - if I remember correctly his name was Walter. Great chat - a class-act guy!

you would be welcomed!! and the distance is getting smaller for a lot due to our schedule. we now have a member from far out french speaking Canada.. LOL

and the guy sounds to me like Mr. Walter Karpinski. Not really a director of the Jr. corps but a very involved booster and parent of two members that marched in the Jr Corps. One of which I marched with from 84 up until a few years ago..

You guys need to stay around and play the guest spot at semis... 2012!

then I get to see you too.

from your post to DCI's ears.......if only.....

Grandpa, nice post. I also agree that the pendulum has swung too far toward over-amplification, goo-makers,and pits stepping on the natural wind and percussion sounds. My view on pits is really retro in that I would not miss them if they went away entirely (not that, that will ever happen). Just think of how much money the corps could save in equipment and transportation costs! My last year in corps (1974) was the first year that keyboards were legal in DCI. As a lead soprano, I really hated having my part doubled by the tinkling of the bell player. Now, the use of the percussive keyboards has come a long way since that time and I can appreciate the nuance and texture which they can add when used right. However, I still maintain that the marginal enhancement which they add does not in most instances justify their expense. At worst, they detract from the core essence of the drum corps sound.

The reality is that after 38 seasons of evolution, pits are not going away and the best we can hope for is that we do not completely lose sight of the basic beauty of the sounds which brass and drums together produce. At the least, I hope a rules change regulates the finger on the pedal tone key!

I wouldn't want to see the pit go away. It may not be what a lot of us "grew up" with but it adds far too much to take away.

I do think the pits are too large though. I was amazed to see most corps having to use two semis to trundle all this stuff around. I don't know what that adds to the cost but in an age of amplified keyboards I can't imagine all those marimbas are necessary.

Edited by Grandpa

1 - Themes. Who gives a rat's ###? I would have no idea what half the themes were out there unless you told me, and then - what's the point? Yet we seem to go out of the way to sell the theme. I really don't care and wish you would lighten up on this intellectual-emotional wanking.

+1,000,000,000,000

Play loud. March well. Thanks.

That's all I've ever really cared about and that's what drew me to the activity.

• Like 1

To Grandpa especially, but to everyone who replied to his topic, thanks for some great input. If I had the musical talent of many of these corps members, I think I'd be pisssed to be covered up by electronics. Let the music majors play au natural! Hopefully Michael C. and his group who are tasked to get Drum & Bugle Corps more fan friendly will use topics, being discussed here and in previous posts, as feed back shared by a high majority of fans. If the overall goal is to make a slow, pain free transition into becoming more band like (BOA?), have the testicular fortitude to let us know, instead of using smoke screen reasons for changes over the years.

• Like 3